Sony Vaio Desktop PCV-RX305 Windows XP now missing, no disks supplied by Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryfly

Hi Folks, This is my first post. so go easy on me;-)

I switched on my PC after 1 year of no use(apple imac distracted me for a while).
The message "operating system not found" appears when it boots up. I put in the Sony Recovery disk, bit it could not read it. As Sony didn't provide a spare copy of XP, how do I get back up and running? Do I have to change the motherboard battery? any advice much appreciated.

I Hope you Christmas is Merry and peaceful.

Cheers,
Dryfly

Call Sony Tech Support if you are the registered owner or buyer. They will provide a disk set for a small fee ($27) for six years after purchase, or until they run out.
Your only other choice is to buy the disk online at some place like ebay, or buy Windows Home (still available for $82) or Windows XP Professional for $135.
The motherboard battery should not be bad, but if it is, you can get a replacement (CR2032) at Wal-Mart ofr $3.67 or on eBay for $2.58.
The recovery disk may be good, and it is your optical drive that has gone bad.

Thanks Raybay.

I have 2 drives, CD & DVD, both don't seem to be able to use the Sony Recovery disks. Is it likely that both drives are toast?

When I bought the PC from a reputable shop, I attempted to register with Sony on-line, to no avail. I rang Sony Ireland, and wait for it,they didn't recognize the serial no. So I couldn't register it. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time.

Do you think there is any way of using the Microsoft Certificate of authenticity info found stuck to the back of the tower, to get a download from Microsoft or somewhere else?

Cheers,
Dryfly

No, I don't see a way. The certificates of authenticity are all coded to the brand of machine. You would need a Sony disk to use that certificate of authenticity... although there are some exceptions.... a very few.
If the serial number is not correct, it is likely a fraudulent setup. Sony is, in my opinion, the most difficult of all branded computers to fix where Windows and drivers are concerned. Even when perfect, they are difficult.
What country are you in now? I

I live in Dublin Ireland.

As the machine came loaded with XP, what do people that buy Vaio PCs do in this event? I've already paid the liecence, how do I get the DIsk/ Should I contact Sony or Microsoft?

Thanks,
Dryfly

I live in Dublin Ireland.

As the machine came loaded with XP, what do people that buy Vaio PCs do in this event? I've already paid the license, how do I get the Disk/ Should I contact Sony or Microsoft?

Thanks,
Dryfly

Sony should provide you with a new disk set, as previously discussed, but they need proof that you are a valid owner...

All other computer companies have a way to register a new owner. Sony should do the same but I have not looked. You should perhaps contact Sony USA to see if they can help... though we always find Sony to be as unhelpful as possible.

I have a four year old Sony coming in for repair on Saturday... I think it has a disk set. I will get back to you when I know.

Any Sony Disk Set for Windows XP Service pack 2 should work. Finding one is the trick.

There are nine Sony recovery disk sets for sale on eBay at this time. You might want to look them over.

Or you can buy a copy of Windows XP, commercial version. Any will work. Then just download the drivers.

Yet again, Thanks for your reply.

Please excuse my ignorance; I do have the 4 Sony Recovery disks that were supplied with the machine. Does this contain the operating system also? or just the factory supplied Sony programs. As previously mentioned the machine doesn't read them anyway?

Hope you had a great Christmas.

Happy new year,

Dryfly

Yes, they will include the operating system, and update your computer to the way it was when new..
Then you can update the drivers, if needed, on the Sony site, or let Windows XP do it for you.
Those disks will remove the partition and reinstall it, totally wiping all information on the hard drive, so if you have anything to save, do that first, or use a new hard drive for the install.

Great!

So here's the thing, as I can't open the discs on the DVD or CD drive, could I use an external hard drive, or would this just automatically try and restore the machine I use to put copy the CD on to hard drive. if that makes sense?

Could I load the CDs from safe mode? if so how do I get into safe mode?

I spent some time this morning, chatting with Sony support USA, unfortunately as willing as they were, they couldn't help, as the machine was not built in the US. (The European support server was down, and Sony don't have live chat support for the European customers)
Thanks again for your prompt reply. Much appreciated!!

Dryfly

Yes, they will include the operating system, and update your computer to the way it was when new..
Then you can update the drivers, if needed, on the Sony site, or let Windows XP do it for you.
Those disks will remove the partition and reinstall it, totally wiping all information on the hard drive, so if you have anything to save, do that first, or use a new hard drive for the install.

At this stage I'm happy to loose all the info on the hard drive. Would formatting this drive allow the recovery disks to start from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back