Sound Max Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

karalou

I recently reinstalled sound max driver 5.12.1.5410 after the XP OS was reinstalled.

I have an ASUS p4p100 motherboard.

The device driver says the driver is installed - no exclamation points; no question marks. The tool bar at the bottom says it is "there".

All volume controls are "on" and speakers are plugged in.

Still, no sound.

Any other suggestions? I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice. I have run virus scans and it says the file is signed with a broken digital signature.

Thanks.

in my original post i forgot to add that when i run the virus scan it says the the files were signed with a broken digital signature. i am not very computer savvy so i am trying to wade through this terminology.

and that happened when i downloaded the updated drivers from the asus website.

Have you done the uninstall from Add/Remove programs or Device Manager?
You should be looking in Add/Remove first to uninstall any Soundmax related entries from there. That will remove Soundmax programs plus drivers. If yoiu only uninstall from Device Manager it only uninstalls the drivers.

I uninstalled everything from Add/Remove.

I went to the Asus website and downloaded 3 diffferent files that it says must be downloaded into zip format and then extracted into the same folder. The first is an .exe file for soundmax. When I try to open that, it says windows has encountered a problem and cannot excute this request. I have downloaded this 3 times and each time it has happened.

ANY helps is greatly appreciated.

I'm not seeing a P4P100 motherboard listed on the ASUS site. Do you have the model number right?

Also, not sure why you get the Windows error message you state. You might also provide the link to the Asus web page you're downloading from.

have you check the BIOS? try turn it off, reboot and turn it on. also, try to plug the speaker into different device such as "front panel" speaker output.

nevertheless i have the same exact problem with soundmax on my intel D946G board, and finally i conclude the sound device is faulty and replace it with cheap x-fi shortly after.

its a p4p800 mother board (SORRY to not have posted it correctly)....i am more than willing to find another sound device; i am just completely clueless at how to proceed.

(Ok i have to pose some other posts to be able to post the asus link)

i know i sound like an ***** - which,computer wise, i am :eek:) - but i have no idea how to check bios. could there be an issue with the registry in downloading .exe files?

here is the asus website:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

the site lists all kinds of "things" i am supposed to down load but i am not sure if i should do them all......i just did the audio ones.

i know that i do not have any viruses or spyware. i am super careful about all of that

THANK you for taking the time to help. We computer illiterates need you computer people and I sincerely appreciate it!!!

From what I read, you should have downloaded and installed SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3630. There are several motherboards that have the designation P4P800 with different suffixes. If you motherboard is plain P4P800, then the version above is the one you should have.

After installing Windows XP you should install ALL of the drivers listed. It isn't necessary to upgrade the BIOS or install the utilities though, just the drivers.

hello ...

i don't know if this would help, yet i faced such issue in the past, i don't really remember what i did, but could have been linked to some updates i made like the mainboard chipset drivers (not audio), directX or service pack! .. yet you can also try to install it manually.

will check it out & be back if i remember!

cheers!

its p4p800-MX....The sound driver they have for that motherboard is not the one you have listed so what do I do? I would assume they have the correct motherboard aligned with the proper audio driver?

how do you install manually? everything is in three files readyto go with the first one being the .exe file

Let me also add the one tech web site had me in the regist for .exe where I changed some default setting. That is why I ask if there could be a problem there.....

Let me also add the one tech web site had me in the regist for .exe where I changed some default setting. That is why I ask if there could be a problem there.....

OH! Well, it's hard if not impossible to say what they're registry "tinkering" affect might be. Do you recall what you did?

You might actually then find this a good time to do some backups. just in case...

As far as trying to install the Soundmax found for your m/b.. it looks like you should now have THREE files ending in .exe all in the same folder
Code:
SoundMax.part1.exe
SoundMax.part2.exe
SoundMax.part3.exe

Double click to run the first one (part1) SoundMax.part1.exe. This will start the install

you guys have gotta love computer illiterates like me who mess with stuff huh....THANKS for being patient..

this is what the other tech ppl said to do: i changed something to "%1" %* (I believe) (See below the instructions I followed) but I did not back anything up....SORRY...

NOTE: When you run the Regedit.exe file, you may experience the symptoms described in the "Symptoms" section of this article. To work around this issue, rename the Regedit.exe file to Regedit.com, and then follow the instructions described in this section. After you are finished, rename the Regedit.com file back to Regedit.exe.
Use Registry Editor to view and modify the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Exefile\Shell\Open\Command
Double-click the following registry string value:
<NO NAME>: REG_SZ: "files32.vxd" "%1" %*
In the String box, remove Files32.vxd from the string. The correct string for this value is:
"%1" %*
NOTE: The registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Exefile\Shell\Open\Command may also contact the same string value; therefore you must also modify this key to remove Files32.vxd from the string. When you remove Files32.vxd from the string, if a space is included, you may receive a "Windows cannot find .exe" message when you attempt to run an .exe file. Verify that there are no extra spaces in the string after you remove Files32.vxd.

I stand corrected! Looks like you end up with one .exe file and two .rar files (What an odd install!@)

In any case, the advice still the same. All 3 files should be in the same folder. Then just double click to run the part1.exe file

That is exactly what I have done - double click part 1 .exe file - have done this 2, 3 times after install, uninstall, reinstall - and each time windows says it cannot do it...

error message I get : SoundMAX.part1.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

1) Just as good practice, i meant you might want to backup personal files/folders/etc now as a "just in case" as you try to fix problems (taking the time to do backups is just an extra measure of caution and being prudent)

2) Looks like their registry fix came from a Microsoft KB here. So we'll assume / guess it's OK (but that backup guards against the worst case. So you at least are assured you have all your personal data stored off of your hard drive if you there's a problem

3) To run the install, just run the .exe file and let's see if it works

if I do system restore will that return the registry to what it was before i messed with it?

OK. just catching up with your posts here... Trying a system restore is a good next step but, again, i'd still first make sure all your files/folders are backed up.

Oh I hear ya that back up is wise....:eek:) I learn the hard way...:eek:)

I just tried to run the .exe file just now...no go....it has encountered a problem....

i am still concerned that maybe i did not type the registry thing perfectly and i have no idea how to get back there...will restore fix that?

Hmmm... Something interesting... If misery loves company:

i just did a google of
Code:
[B]"SoundMAX.part1.exe" encountered a problem[/B]
and it seems you're not alone with this problem. Example see here

Another thing to try: Download the files again BUT choose a different download site then the last time. Maybe a file is corrupted?

btw... i still recommend that backup first to prevent any regrets later! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back