Spam Robots Help Needed For My Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvhuffer

I need to preface this with the following. I'm a total html noob! Anyway I have a little site that I put up for fun. It's my first foray into web site construction. I'm now having a problem with spammers. They have hijacked my "contact me" page and are using me for a spam server. I have a mailto: link that is hidden from the bots with a java mod

<script language=javascript>
<!--
var contact = "The text you want displayed as the link"
var email = "NameOfYourEmailAccount"
var emailHost = "YourEmailDomainName.com" //
document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + email + "@" + emailHost+ ">" + contact + "</a>" + ".")
//-->
</script>

Here is the problem I have run up against. Since the site is hosted by YAHOO! I use their servers. They forward my contact me and guest book pages to my address. The html can't be modified, or the messages won't get forwarded. At least that is how it appears to me. Remember the noob part? The code (that they provide) looks like this

<!--$begin html$--><form method=post action="http://us.1.p5.webhosting.yahoo.com/forms?login=my E-mail address here">

The spam is always the same ad for the same product. The only thing different is it is being redirected through a different domain name every day. I get spammed about 15 or 20 times a day. There's no reason for them to do that, so they must be piggybacking BCC addresses, or something, and the YAHOO servers are forwarding the mail for them. Is there any way I can rewrite this to hide my e-mail address? Here is a link to my Contact page, if you want to look at the source code.

YAHOO! and SBC are being totally worthless in helping me with this. I have filed complaints with the FTC and some others, and the domains are all registered to the same person with no last name and a bad address, and I'm sure the site is probably offshore. It has no contact info on the site, only the order form for the credit card info to buy their weight loss product (Hoobia). If anyone can offer any help or direct me somewhere, I'd appreciate it. I have tried doing searches, but all the fixes I've found seem to need to be applied at the server, which doesn't help me.

Just going to your webpage initiates an obnoxious download of something 115...
That would put me off forever to get NEAR that site again.
Anyway, that's beside the point.

Having your private email-address on a public webpage, for anyone to see, is not a very good idea. Even if you change email-address, it will still be displayed there, and the likes of Yahoo and Google get regularly 'trawled' for email-addresses.
That login-email-address needs to be made unusable for Joe Public.
And you should get a new sbc... email address anyway, the current one is 'blown'!

Have a read of this page, it's about Matt's Formmail, probably the most used email-form in the world.
http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/formmail.html

Just going to your webpage initiates an obnoxious download of something 115...

What are you talking about? Can you be more specific? There should be nothing there to begin downloading other than possibly a prompt for a WMP plug in.

On my PC, XP Pro/SP2 with Firefox 1.6, it calls my downloader (Stardownloader) and wants to start downloading a Bob_Dylan_115...mp3.
Then a garish blue screen with a message-box shows up.

Hmm.... that's bizarre. I tried to reproduce it with Firefox 1.06. Deepnet Explorer, and Deer Park Alpha2. I also use Star Downloader and tried with browser integration enabled and disabled. The only problem I could find was Deer Park crashed with brow. integ. enabled. Sorry you had that experience, but I couldn't reproduce it on 3 of my systems. XP Home 98SE and ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back