Spotify wants to help musicians by telling them exactly who is listening to their music

dkpope

Staff

Spotify made an announcement today that is big news for musicians and singers. Recode reports that the music streaming service now offers a free feature called Fan Insights for artists and their managers.

In the Fan Insights dashboard, artists have access to a whole slew of data. They can check how many monthly listens and fans they have. They can also access information about the locations, demographics, and music preferences of the fans listening to their music.

It seems that Spotify’s point with this cornucopia of data is that they want to help littler musicians and bands be strategic about their career moves. A manager with access to Fan Insights could plan a band’s tour around locations with the most fans, or keep track of how a single is received.

And all of it is free. Right now musicians have to request access to Fan Insights, but soon it will be open to everyone. Spotify wants to bring in more and more musicians and this new feature would probably be very appealing to groups that aren’t already huge names. YouTube and SoundCloud have always provided location data to their users, but that’s about it.

In their announcement, Spotify also released some usage numbers. Now they’re at 75 million users on Spotify, and 1.7 billion hours of music streamed each month. It makes sense that a musician would want to know what all those users are doing in detail.

Permalink to story.

Spotify should focus on removing the 10k limit that they don't talk about.

Explain?

You are cannot save more than 10k values (amount of albums+songs).
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Li...-allowed-in-quot-Your-Music-quot/idi-p/733759

If you hit the limit the music you save just disappears and there is now warning anywhere that the service is limited.

For big music collectors this number is quite small and in contrast other services offer 50k (google music)

I'm fairly certain I couldn't maintain an emotional connection to 50,000 songs or albums anyway. In fact, 10,000 is a pretty huge stretch as well. At a certain point, at least to me it seems, you're collecting them just to say you have them.

Are there even 10,000 songs in the world worth listening to, let alone 50,000?

I'm fairly certain I couldn't maintain an emotional connection to 50,000 songs or albums anyway. In fact, 10,000 is a pretty huge stretch as well. At a certain point, at least to me it seems, you're collecting them just to say you have them.

Are there even 10,000 songs in the world worth listening to, let alone 50,000?

I personally don't get why some people have a lot of cars or need to upgrade their phone every year to get the newest model, but I does not mean that my emotions regarding some aspects of life should apply to others and should be the norm.

I listen to music on average 5 hours a week (spotify statistics) and I have a hundreds of vinyls and CD-s that I have bought and listened to over the years. Having them in one place and easily accessing them is the norm for me and music is really my thing. For me 10000 seems very low, 50000 seems big for me. I would be happy with 20000 -25000 limit.

I understand that not everyone is behaving this way, but when they say their service is "Unlimited, ad-free music" it's hardly that and without warning. I'm just voicing my opinion on this.

Back