Square Enix delays Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Matthew DeCarlo

Following the unsuccessful launch of its latest entry in the Final Fantasy series, Square Enix has slashed its financial outlook and delayed upcoming works. Released for PC in September, Final Fantasy XIV received nothing but bad press with most review sites rating it 5 out of 10 or worse. GameSpot said the game was a "step backward for the genre," and GameTrailers called it a "broken incomplete mess."

With comments like that, it's no surprise that gamers have been holding onto their cash. Square Enix has cut its revenue forecast for 2010 by over 90% from 12 billion yen ($142.8 million) to 1 billion yen ($11.9 million). Additionally, the developer has postponed the PlayStation 3 version of Final Fantasy XIV for an undisclosed length of time. The title was originally slated for a March debut in Japan.

Unfortunately, the highly anticipated Deus Ex: Human Revolution has also been affected. Square Enix has bumped the title from next quarter (January-March 2011) to some point after April 2011, which marks a new fiscal year for the company. Although the delay is disappointing, the developer said it would use the time to further polish the game, so you can expect better quality than FFXIV offered.

Permalink to story.

Moral of the story. Dont make crap games no matter what the name of your business is.

Shame about Deus-ex delay

WOW! They really said that about FFXIV? After the crap of the singing gals I can't say I didnt see something like this comming... I guess the game was good up to FFVII, maybe VIII to some extent.

Delaying Deus Ex... bastards! I cant wait for it to release the video trailers look amazing.

"The best critic in the world is yourself"--Benny

If i listened to the game magazines everytime a new game came out, i'de have missed out on some top titles in my time.

Look at FFXII, almost every critic who reviewed it either gave it 0/10 or 10/10...I thought it was the best FF to the date personaly...I'll be trying FFXIV no matter what (when i get the time).

I hope they realize what the gamer really want because the bigger and better the company get the more forgive their gamer heart. Square enix one of the company that holds lots of the Better RPG and RPG/ADVENTURE mix games of all times... its really shamesly.

Hope they use the time wisely. I read in an interview a while back they had to drop certain things from the game to meet deadlines, so hopefully some of that will make its way back in. It was always going to be impossible for Human Revolution to live up to the status of the original, no matter how long they spent on it though, but it's looking like it should be a good game judged on its own merit rather than comparing it to one of the best games of all time - unlike the second installment.

The final fantasy series was awesome till FF IX, after that they just keep making bigger scenarios and long stories without the basic introduction, climax, end structure that have worked for them in previous versions... A remastered version of FF IX or Chrono Cross would be amazing!!

"Look at FFXII, almost every critic who reviewed it either gave it 0/10 or 10/10..."

Erm, what? I looked on metacritic and there's not a single 0/10 review in sight. Were did you read those?

Final Fantasy XIV has to go down as one of the worst MMORPG releases ever. Critics and players can't bash it enough. They now offer it free to play "until it's fixed" for those who are interested.

Bummer about Deux Ex - the trailer video is absolutely amazing.

TomSEA said:
Final Fantasy XIV has to go down as one of the worst MMORPG releases ever. Critics and players can't bash it enough. They now offer it free to play "until it's fixed" for those who are interested.

Bummer about Deux Ex - the trailer video is absolutely amazing.
Still gotta pay for the game, so it's more like the monthly fees have been waved until further notice.

Just as a note to those who HAVEN'T played the game: There have been 4-5 major updates since release, the game now hardly resembles what it was at release. Rather, it would be more accurate to say that a considerable portion of critical points against the game have been addressed to some degree, and they are continuing to fix things. Hell, they've done more work in a months worth update wise in FFXIV than they do FFXI in an average 6 months. They are dedicated to trying to revive the game, but it will be akin to Ascending Mount Everest.

I Want to like the game like I did when I started play FFXI 5 years ago. I play at the moment and it is a little warmer than lukewarm for me, since I'm a sucker for a good storyline, and the game was released without one (something that usually dooms an MMO).

Last point I'd like to make in this post: The people who hate something are always the loudest people. Likewise those who kiss *** are the same.

They really need to bump the visual quality up a notch. I'm not to impressed with the the games on these so called "next generation" consoles any more. What's the point of showing mind-blowingly hot trailers, then having gameplay with lackluster visuals; it just makes the game look even worse.

Final Fantasy used to be a game that steeped up the visuals on every console reiteration, but since they became non-exclusive to the PS3 they had to keep it down to the Xbox360 level. Why not make it look better the more powerful the system.

Agreed with the first comment but at the same time it would need new hardware to a degree.

As for the second comment... Ha ha... have you seen the graphics for FFXIV? Aside from all the problems the game has, iI would argue it is par excellence in terms of graphics. Nothing in the current generation of RPGs/MMOs come close in this regard, and FFXIV rivals other genres that tend to be on the cutting edge of newer technology (like FPS to some degree as well as simulators)

"Look at FFXII, almost every critic who reviewed it either gave it 0/10 or 10/10..."

Erm, what? I looked on metacritic and there's not a single 0/10 review in sight. Were did you read those?

Obviously i'm taking quite a while ago here, back when it came out..I.M.D.B is one place for example.

Also just look at Gamespot's review on Metal Gear Solid from 1999...What we're they thinking?.

GunsAblazin said:
They really need to bump the visual quality up a notch. I'm not to impressed with the the games on these so called "next generation" consoles any more. What's the point of showing mind-blowingly hot trailers, then having gameplay with lackluster visuals; it just makes the game look even worse.

Final Fantasy used to be a game that steeped up the visuals on every console reiteration, but since they became non-exclusive to the PS3 they had to keep it down to the Xbox360 level. Why not make it look better the more powerful the system.

hehe , what nonsense , FF13 looks brilliant , it visuals are one of the good things about the game . Hehe some people dont have talk aload of crap .

Honestly, I don't mind waiting an additional couple of months if it means the final product will be a solid, polished title. Rather than getting the game on release date and be disappointed by either the bugs or lack of features/content, I prefer waiting a little longer to get a game that will be enjoyable, entertaining and worth the money. I just hope they postponed the release long enough for the developers to make it right.

Square Enix' decision was most commendable, and I wish other publishers took this as an example. Take Ubisoft for instance, their track record of releasing either poorly ported or simply unpolished products is horrible, yet they continue(d) on this path and keep providing such products. Why do they do this? I do not know. It affects their sales, their reputation as a respectable publisher, but they do not learn and still release a bad title every once in a while. Square Enix has earned my respect as a publisher and I will definitely purchase future titles from them as long as they keep up their product quality.

Just my 2 cents.

Too bad SE didn't make the same decision for FFXIV, us PC players are basically in a pay to participate (buy the game, no online fees for now) beta now, and have to live with everyone wanting to bash a game they never played.*

*We have no problems with people who played and gave the game a try, quit because they did not like it and decided to talk about it. Unless they played for a week at most, like most the review sites had. T

DEUS EX, I hope they work on the game and really let it turn out to be a great game, it's a real life horror movie but c'mon, us fans deserve an awesome game with the type of serious fun the first one had. This game should save the planet. hahaha

Here is what I want, an MMO released when it is FINISHED. Yes this means that the development time may be 5 to 10 years. But guess what, the game upon release will get a following that likes the damn thing. Playing a broken game is ****. For instance. AOC started off so beautifully, the storyline was breathtaking, the game play fantastic, then you hit level 40...grind grind grind. I am not saying this is how it is NOW. This is how it was at realease. This has been the downfall of every modern mmo relase. Just suck it up, bite the bullet, and finish the damn game before relase. People will love you for it.

Back