SSD + HDD on Windows 7 [Non-RAID]

thehighroad

Hello,

I am seriously considering the purchase of the OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD. But whenever I am dealing with my OS I am nervous.

I have the Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L (P43 Express chipset, ICH10 Southbridge, no RAID).

I currently have a 500GB WD Black harddrive with my OS and everything on it.

There are clean install work arounds with this version of Windows 7, so I suppose it would be as simple as reformatting the WD HDD then installing the OS to the SSD, and finally reconnect the WD HDD for storage? I also plan on formatting the WD HDD so that I can change from IDE to AHCI mode.

Will this work without a hitch? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

It'll be absolutely fine. Just delete the partitions on your WD Disk and then create new ones in the installer menus for W7 setup like you said, and then direct the install onto the SSD.

30GB is very small though, your going to be looking half that capacity with W7 installed and fully updated. It won't leave a lot of room for other stuff. I would recommend you go for a 64GB version if its affordable, or otherwise to keep a very close eye on whats installed and saved on your SSD.

I would also recommend the first thing you do is move your default "Documents" folders to your WD hard disk. If you go to your named folder (e.g. mine is Lee), it will contain all of your "home folders, if you right click each one, you can then change the location to your WD hard disk. You'll have to do them one at a time, but it will ensure your W7 install keeps all your personal data on your WD hard disk, not your SSD. :)

Back