SSD shipments soaring despite weak ultrabook performance

By Matthew
Oct 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. With prices falling well below $1 per gigabyte, many enthusiasts can finally justify the luxury of running their operating system and applications off flash storage. SSD shipments have climbed sharply this year, with each quarter topping the previous period by...

Read more
  2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Booster Posts: 351   +38

Ultrabooks aren't selling because nobody wants to pay $1200 for a 1.7Ghz dual core processor with integrated graphics and usually 4gb or 6gb of ram. I can easily get a nice 2.4Ghz w/boost up to 3.2Ghz or so for $1100 with 2gb graphics card, 1080p screen, and 8gb of ram. So why not have an extra 3 pounds and 4x the performance for $100 less?
    psycros likes this.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,879   +347

Not only are ultrabooks stupidly priced in my opinion, the form factors stupid. Having a normal length/width laptop with a slimmer form factor doesnt make it any more convienient IMO-netbooks were much better for that market. Ultrabooks are just a bad idea.
    psycros likes this.
  4. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TechSpot Booster Posts: 267   +47

I don't think ultrabooks are a bad idea, for most casual people are appealing. The pricing segment is a very bad idea.
  5. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,000   +11

Ultrabooks are great, when the price is alright. lightweight platform, thin body and longer battery life are really useful. especially when you already have pretty good desktop PC sitting at home for other purposes.
  6. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 690   +208

Even if you could make an "ultrabook" with performance to rival a high-end laptop I still wouldn't buy one. First there's the absurd prices, but then there's the terrible input ergonomics. Left-of-center touchpads with buttons on the <I>bottom</I>? Crap keyboards stolen from a $5 pocket calculator? WTH, industry? Dell and Lenovo make the only portables I can still use..if they go any cheaper I'll never buy another laptop. Who in God's name thought turning alphanumeric keyboards into V-Tech toys was a great idea? Oh, right..Apple, the company with the zombie following that <b>other</b> companies think are normal consumers.
  7. "So why not have an extra 3 pounds and 4x the performance for $100 less?"
    you don't have any idea how much people who willingly pay extra bucks even with less performance (but still adequate) for having a lighter ultrabooks..
  8. "Not only are ultrabooks stupidly priced in my opinion, the form factors stupid. Having a normal length/width laptop with a slimmer form factor doesnt make it any more convienient"

really? as far as I see people wants a slimmer form factor with normal length/width nowadays, and of course it more convenient because it's lighter and the display isn't compromised, you don't want to work with lighter laptop but compromising the size means compromising the display size that will make you not very convenience when working with your laptop..

"IMO-netbooks were much better for that market. Ultrabooks are just a bad idea"

netbooks' performance is far below ultrabooks' performance.. most people find netbook is not enough for their needs..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.