StarCraft 2 official discussion thread

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff
Looking to perfect your build order with a practice partner? Want to debate game strategy or balance? Speculate about upcoming expansions? All topics related to StarCraft 2 are welcome in TechSpot's official SC2 discussion thread.

Release date: July 27, 2010 (PC)

The campaign storyline of StarCraft II takes place four years after StarCraft: Brood War, and features the return of a number of characters from the original series, including Zeratul, Arcturus Mengsk, Artanis, Sarah Kerrigan, and Jim Raynor, it also features some new characters such as Selendis and Tychus Findlay. Players also revisit the original series' worlds, like Char, Mar Sara, and Braxis, as well as new worlds, such as the jungle planet Bel'Shir and New Folsom. It has been confirmed that the Xel'Naga, the ancient space-faring race responsible for creating the Protoss and the Zerg, plays a major role in the story. via Wikipedia

System Requirements

Minimum:
Windows XP, Vista or 7
2.6GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent AMD processor
128MB PCIe Nvidia GeForce 6600GT / ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
1GB of RAM on XP, 1.5GB on Vista or 7
Broadband Internet connection
1024x720 minimum display resolution

Recommended:
Windows Vista or 7
Dual-core 2.4GHz processor
2GB of RAM
512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better

Read our in-depth performance review to see how your system stacks up.

Just bought it and have only had a chance to play it 3 times (damn holiday season). But I'll be checking here regularly to look for gaming partners and tips. :)

:) Awesome. I've been looking for others with SC2 as well. Have you decided on a race Tomm or still getting a feel for them?

Not yet. I should get some serious gaming time coming up soon and will have a better idea then. Am definitely enjoying the campaign portion of the game so far.

Cool. I think I'm only about halfway through the campaign. Got a bit boring after a while, but that's probably because I played each level a few times to get all the achievements.

Yeah, I'm doing the same. I need the practice - I'm still too slow. I understand the mechanics of the game, but am taking too much time deciding what to do. Also still memorizing hot keys. At any rate, the campaign is giving me an excellent tutoring before heading out on the net for battle against someone who knows what the hell they're doing. ;)

Starcraft 2 is definitely a great game... I just wish I had the ultimate computer for it. i really like the ladders, the campaign is a little lengthy but pretty exciting the first run through and 2v2s, 3v3s, 4v4s, FFA would be a lot more fun if I didn't lag as much... looking towards an upgrade pretty soon though... hopefully

Question about buying StarCraft 2

TS,
I am going to buy Starcraft 2 in the next month or so, but I don't like the prices. I am a bit of a penny pincher and most websites are selling SC2 for $45 to $60.
Is it possible to get it legally under $40 with shipping..?

Does anyone know how the Battle.net account system works? Do you have a account name (unique) and a game name (not unique)?

Thank You

Does anyone know how the Battle.net account system works? Do you have a account name (unique) and a game name (not unique)?

Thank You

When they merged the World Of Warcraft system with the new battle.net they changed it from user name login to email address. So you log in with your email and a password, then have your user name separate from that.

No, it doesn't have to be unique. You're issued a three digit character code along with your username and someone with the same name would have a different character code.

Thank's for the answer Matthew. I've been playing the PC demo (yes, Blizzard does have a legal demo of the game, two maps and only terran).
I've played dozens of games against the computer, I like a fast 4 rack with 3 reactors, no expansion, get marines for a few minutes and crush opponent, works best against one computer opponent. Or expansion with 3 rack with 2 factories (siege tanks) against multiple computers.
I like watching Husky and Ahnaris starcraft commentaries :)

Feel free to post Battle.net names that would allow me to friend you on Battle.net, I am excited to start playing soon.
Prepare to win, as I'm not much of a player from what I've seen online.

Cool, I play Terran as well, though I've only been on a couple times in the last few months. I'd be interested in playing a few rounds when you get the game.

I have a tendency to play "SimStarcraft" as my friend calls it. Focus too much on building a nice base and a nice army but then leave it sitting in my base and don't do enough with it. I need to play more games vs people and develop my macro skill to be able to scout, harass and explore/expand at the same time as building, researching and creating an army.

Sorry to bump this thread.
I finally got the game, everything installed (like 2 hours of patches installed)
and my account name is "DesertCuke" #531, I am still in the practice league, should be taking my placement rounds by the end of the week.

I enjoy a good game of nexus wars, cat and mouse, tower defense type games, etc... and custom 2vAI or 3vAI on medium
TY

Sorry about bumping this thread, but I thought it'd be better than me making a new thread about the exact same thing.

I was wondering, are any of the original posters still playing SC2? Or are any other TS members playing the game? Looking to find some practice partners and just people I can play with for fun. Also, I think it'd be pretty cool if we could start a TS group to play some FFA or team battles, if anyone is interested.

Haven't tried too many custom games yet but I'm a big fan of them (used to be all I played in WC3). Also I've been trying to get better in the real game, although I'm only in the Gold league right now.

I suggest installing Steam and joining the TechSpot group. Then you can at least get hold of other members that are online and possibly find some that play SC2.

I play but mostly one night a week with some friends and a little online. Plus time differences mean I'm not online when the majority of TechSpot users are :)

Watched a lot of the recent GSL Anaheim competition. Husky, Day 9, Crota and a few other gameplay commentators keep me interested in the game and coming back to try and improve.

I play occasionally. Although, I'm not real good against real people :)

I played with Terran a lot because I beat the campaign and thus was familiar with them. But I always felt I was fairly inefficient with them. So I went to zerg, which is what I primarily used in SC1. Now, I don't know if I'm much better, but I feel that I am. Its nice being able to create 12 of something very easily compared to terran or toss.

I play occasionally. Although, I'm not real good against real people :)

I played with Terran a lot because I beat the campaign and thus was familiar with them. But I always felt I was fairly inefficient with them. So I went to zerg, which is what I primarily used in SC1. Now, I don't know if I'm much better, but I feel that I am. Its nice being able to create 12 of something very easily compared to terran or toss.

I like the flexibility of Zerg although feel that the macro required for larvae injects and unit creation/rallying makes it the most macro intensive race for me. And I often suck at keeping my drone/probe/svc production up, upgrades, scouting, harass/defense and everything else with terran or toss so ended up going with toss as main race at the moment. Just enjoy using blink stalkers. Maybe too many years playing a mage in World Of Warcraft :)

Definitely Terran for me, might be because they are the only race that is human but I also like how their structures/units look. :p

Yeah it's definitely hard keeping up with everything, that's why I'm still stuck in the Gold league. Still learning how to do everything at once, i.e. harassing/scouting while constantly producing SCVs, buildings and other units. Hell of a steep learning curve, but it's fun. :haha:

Arris and cChriSv - I'm actually very inexpierenced with Toss in SC1 and SC2. I've played them a bit in SC1, but only twice in SC2.

As far as the macro managing problem with zerg you mention Arris, I'm not quite sure I follow. Maybe that shows how out of touch I am with everything? How can it be difficult? I literally make drones and drones then just as I run out of ability to build I make an extractor, then a drone. Then I either wait for an OL or I make a spawning pool, in any case I'm racing to make roaches. Once I get about 6 roaches I feel "safe" because hopefully my partner has done something good too. Then I'm set on getting hydras and upgrading them. I have gone air, but I've been less successful. I did go mass air with full upgrades in SC1, but I'm still learning build orders in SC2.

As far as trying to do macro stuff with other races.... well ffs you can only create 1 dude at a time at any dude producing facility, so, and I may be missing something, the only way you can group units is to wait until they all pool at the rallying point and then group them there.

With zerg, you can grab all your larvae and group them, then morph them all into 1 unit at once. Then for instance I can have 1-3 as hydras, and then say 4 and 5 as mutas, and then I doubt I have any space left, but if I did I could make some only anti air or only anti ground flyers as 6. You can also withstand a mass drone killing by an opponent at later parts in the game when you can make 12+ drones all at once.

It's more the going to each queen and larvae injecting each hive. I guess at least you don't have other production buildings to group up for macro production (barracks, factory, starport etc. etc.) so guess it balances out. I'm just still more used to building supply depot/pylon for more supply than having to queue up an overlord and remember to send it off to oversee an area. I guess my problem is that I don't group my hives and just produce from all at the same time like I do with other races. It's just a bit alien to me :D

I like the simplicity of using mass gateway units as protoss once you have warp gate tech researched. Press W, spam warp ins in range of a pylon or warp prism :)

Terran get a very good first units in the Marines. Nice unit specific upgrades from tech lab and can attack ground and air from range. Compared to zerglings and zealots they are quite versatile.

Back