StarCraft II downloadable now, official requirements released

By Matthew
Jul 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. The long-awaited sequel to StarCraft is set to release in less than two weeks, and those planning to buy the game digitally can get ahead of the launch madness by downloading a copy today. You can download StarCraft II in full regardless of whether or not you've actually purchased it, but it won't be playable until July 27 at 10AM PDT. At that point, you'll be able to start the client and activate the game.

Read the whole story
  2. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,648   +51

If anything windows xp will put less of a strain on your computer and give a huge performance increase to low end systems. I don't think it even takes advantage of 64 bit, at least it does not in the beta, so there is no point that I can tell in using vista or 7. They will only slow you down.
  3. teklord

teklord TechSpot Maniac Posts: 523

Shouldn't run worse than Supreme Commander, I would estimate.

P4 type PCs should only use XP, you don't need Vista/7 slowing you down even more than you are already at.
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Wow...those minimum specs like something out of a computer museum. 128MB RAM? And an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro?? I think I was using one of those about 8-9 years ago.

I know minimum specs usually = completely unplayable. But what engine did they build this on?
  5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,316   +116

Not true, i've played the beta on integrated, it was meh 30fps. Low settings are gross though.
    The made their own engine I believe, but they also used Havoc.
  6. treetops

No doubt the expansions will will be beefed up.
  7. teklord

I'm a 60 FPS vsync man myself. You probably need HD 5850 & a modern quad to do that with this game and have it locked @ that. This game will be huge as all Blizzard IP's are.

BTW, the 128MB RAM was for the GPU not the RAM on the mobo. That's a slideshow with either. :D
  8. Maybe when i get a bet computer i will get windows 7, at the moment my E6400 @ 2.8ghz and geforce 8800 gts 512 sits quite happy with windows xp, but if i load up windows vista my hardrive constantly on and cpu and gpu fan are louder.
  9. hellokitty[hk]

1920 x 1200, highest settings,E4600 and 9600gt @ average 40 FPS.
  10. treetops

Im at 90+ with vsync off, 1680x1050 hd res. Specs are in my system specs. 58-59 with vsync
  11. teklord

Wow, sounds like Warcraft III which had accessible system specs for it's time and still looked pretty good. Would love a nice 1920x1200 monitor, I'm at 1280x1024 and games run really well at that res on max settings w/some AA & AF.

12. hellokitty[hk]

Obviously?
  13. teklord

No, not obviously, his system is almost fully modern tech. His GPU is a year old but still very powerful nonetheless. Lot of folks won't see his results.
  14. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

Just goes to show how long they were working on it.
  15. hellokitty[hk]

Yes obviously if his FPS is 90+, then it would be 60 with vsync.
  16. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,042   +84 Staff Member

Zing!
  17. Gars

Gars TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 228

the installer is only 7.05 Gb,
    so you downloaded the installer and
    after this u receive a message that says:
    Come back on 27/07/2010
    so? the game is ok but isnt launched?
    or what? onother 7Gb download?
    confused :-/
  18. teklord

It read like you were saying everyone could get those results, hence my reply.

Still need to go back and beat the first game. I saw a mod for this one time that used the Warcraft III engine for this game, wish I could find it again.
  19. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,382   +205

Probably needs to be activated. Since you are already downloaded, after a short activation you can start playing right away as opposed to others who will be spending launch day downloading.
  20. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,781   +638

21. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

The game requires an active battle.net account to get pass the login screen.
  22. hellokitty[hk]

No, actually you can pre-download the game, but only on 7/27/2010 will the game work.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.