Starfield delayed to September 6, more information coming June 11

Daniel Sims

Staff
Highly anticipated: We'll have to wait a little longer for Starfield as Bethesda's new franchise and Microsoft's primary 2023 system seller suffers another delay. Alongside the new release date, Bethesda revealed that its planned major showcase for Starfield will arrive at the start of E3 this summer.

Bethesda has pushed Starfield's release date back to September 6, ensuring it'll miss the previously promised H1 2023 window. The company will publish a deep dive video on the game on June 11, the first day of E3.

Starfield's first release date was November 11, 2022, which would have been exactly 11 years after Bethesda's mega-hit, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, from 2011. However, last May, Bethesda pushed the date back to the first half of 2023, even including it in a June presentation of planned H1 2023 titles.

The video revealing the September date didn't offer new details on the game but viewers could catch snippets of new footage in the background. They show bits of combat and exploration on the surfaces of a few of Starfield's 1,000 planets, and a quick shot of the character creator.

For those who haven't kept up, Starfield is a role-playing game that lets players explore 100 different solar systems in outer space. Based on earlier footage, some might describe the gameplay as a mix between Skyrim and No Man's Sky.

In Bethesda tradition, Starfield offers players a deep character creator with several skill classes, first-person combat, and plenty of crafting. It also lets players build and customize a ship, which they can use to land anywhere on realistically-scaled planet surfaces.

Microsoft teased the in-depth Starfield showcase – called the Starfield Direct – during its inaugural Developer Direct in January. There, the company revealed plenty of footage for its other upcoming central 2023 titles like Redfall and Forza Motorsport.

Bethesda also plans to release a significant patch for Fallout 4 this year to improve the resolution and framerate while adding bug fixes and new creation club content. The company announced the update in October but hasn't said anything about it since.

Further out, Bethesda is doing early work on The Elder Scrolls VI, which is still a long way off. The company also plans to make Fallout 5 sometime after Elder Scrolls VI.

Permalink to story.

I have been hesitant to have too much faith in this title.
These delays make me even that much more hesitant.
This is one of those that could be great but I'm not convinced just yet.

I have been hesitant to have too much faith in this title.
These delays make me even that much more hesitant.
This is one of those that could be great but I'm not convinced just yet.

Look how all those delays for Dying Light 2 worked out for them - the game is still buggy as hell 1 year after it was finally released. Especially coop, it doesn't work for many people still to this day.

FO4 was bad but I guess playable, FO76 was just horrendous all around. They've done nothing but Skyrim re-releases otherwise.

Can Starfield be good? Sure can. But Skyrim was a very long time ago now, it's not the same studio. I still play FO3 and Skyrim but I won't touch FO4, and Starfield is probably closer to FO4 at best. Not only do I think Starfield won't be good I kind of doubt ES6 will be either. The game industry of that era is long gone, it's all corporate suit driven now, same generic Hollywood stuff that most people kind of moved towards gaming to get away from in the first place. Might as well just pick a good movie instead of playing a lot of these "games" that consist of mostly rendered cutscenes and minimal gameplay.

Might as well just pick a good movie instead of playing a lot of these "games" that consist of mostly rendered cutscenes and minimal gameplay.
But have you seen Sony PS5 exclusives through the years? Way too many of them are so sleep inducing they should have been sold with a prescription.
But you can't argue the results.
All the while, their occasional, true instant classic action packed games soon become destined to just fade away (Days Gone).

FO4 was bad but I guess playable, FO76 was just horrendous all around. They've done nothing but Skyrim re-releases otherwise.

Can Starfield be good? Sure can. But Skyrim was a very long time ago now, it's not the same studio. I still play FO3 and Skyrim but I won't touch FO4, and Starfield is probably closer to FO4 at best. Not only do I think Starfield won't be good I kind of doubt ES6 will be either. The game industry of that era is long gone, it's all corporate suit driven now, same generic Hollywood stuff that most people kind of moved towards gaming to get away from in the first place. Might as well just pick a good movie instead of playing a lot of these "games" that consist of mostly rendered cutscenes and minimal gameplay.
Anything after Fallout 2 has been horrible :]

Anything after Fallout 2 has been horrible :]
I enjoyed 3 a lot, but you have to understand it's essentially a change in the series. It ushered in so much of the modern open world blueprint. Atmosphere and exploration are absolutely fantastic, they get the post-apocalyptic survival setting flawlessly---that's a shift from the previous games and really anything after it. The best part was the fact that FO3 devs clearly played the previous games, so many references and callbacks, which is something Obsidian's NV did too but which FO4 devs clearly hadn't played any of the previous entries.

I still play modded FO3 occasionally to this day, I wonder how long I will be able to continue to do so. It needs mods and workarounds on modern hardware and OS', I worry there's a day where I'd no longer get to play it. Oh well.

At least it has a release date. Unlike the rip-off Star Citizen. People are still pumping money into that alpha.

But have you seen Sony PS5 exclusives through the years? Way too many of them are so sleep inducing they should have been sold with a prescription.
All the while, their occasional, true instant classic action packed games soon become destined to just fade away (Days Gone).
This. I can barely have any interest in sony exclusives these days as they rehash the same formula. All those Horizons, GoWs, TLOU2 are repetitive rehashed gameplay loops with dragging cutscenes and passable story. All in a nice wrap that masses seem to like, but very shallow and following what seems have become some standard sony formula. Days gone reference is spot on as this was one of the few I enjoyed and felt was trying something new out and refine with the sequel (that sadly got killed by stupid management). As someone who owned every PS and finds ps2-era the best - I absolutely despise current state of sony and what they produce.

Last edited:
That's a great whataboutism:) game is delayed for years but that's fine, because you don't like one other specific company games;) good joke.

At least it has a release date. Unlike the rip-off Star Citizen. People are still pumping money into that alpha.
Be careful you might upset the people that say at least they're fun flying their $15,000 founders ships...

Back