- Start Up Freeze - Safe Mode Didn't Even Work - Beg of You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Any idea at all would not only be appreciated but totally 100% greatly needed :D

I will try every thing.

I download an update for an computer's “Windows Me OS“.

The update was Direct X 9.0A.

After I did the system froze.

Then I ran a restart. It froze again at the wallpaper screen (with out any interface into windows.).

Then I tried safe mode and all the safe mode variations. No luck.

I'm very worried about this because my Father has vital documents on this hard drive and he's very disturbed by my ignorant carelessness. And for putting his files in jeopardy.

I can’t even use system restore because I screen froze when I get into the wallpaper screen. The mouse works fine and all the data is intact its just this damn update that messed every thing up.

I’m also thinking of a way to grab his files off. Like maybe if I connected a USB line? I don’t know what to do. L

Any idea at all would not only be appreciated but totally 100% greatly needed :D

I will try every thing.

The first thing witch it comes into my mind is to try reinstal a operating system over the old one .....Maybe you'll get some errors messages but you can save your father's data.

The quickest way to get those files off that PC is to take the harddisk out and put it temporarily (with jumpers set as Slave) in another PC. Then copy the files over onto that PC.
Then put the HD back (set jumpers to Master again, or as they were) and do a re-install of ME over the existing system. Then uninstall DirectX9.0a and install DirectX 9.0c instead.

If you'd done your "homework" you would have taken a restore-point BEFORE you installed 9.0a. If you did, roll back to before that installation. Then install 9.0c. Dont try version 10 yet, it is buggy.

If it's just Explorer freezing, I'd replace it as shell temporarily with Program Manager, for example, by substituting shell=explorer.exe with shell=progman.exe in system.ini.

Boot with a Win98 boot disk to command prompt and edit it. Then install DirectX 9.0c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back