Startup discovers 80% of Facebook ad clicks coming from bots

By Shawn Knight
Jul 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A small startup known as Limited Run has publically decided to withdraw their presence from Facebook over concerns about the social network's advertising practices. According to Limited Run, only 20 percent of ad clicks actually come from real people; the……

Read more
  2. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

And just where do I get these ad clicking bots >_>
  3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 899   +99

Just another reason why Facebook is evil and should not be trusted. Considering the advertiser is getting charged per click this should be a serious problem, not something to be taken lightly. Raising further questions to how reliable the advertising really is on Facebook, if it turns out the source of the clicky bots is not third party but instead Facebook itself. There's obvious legal issues here that will likely end up in court if not addressed swiftly.
  4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Probably doesn't concern facebook too much since they don't seem to be affected negatively by it
  5. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

If this gets out to major advertisers and they drop ads on Facebook, they will be concerned.
  6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Unless it turns out Facebook is involved in artificially generating the clicks to bolster their ad revenue, which is what drives their profit base. Conspiracy theories are fun!
  7. Neojt

Neojt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 137   +9

why do you think they got such a great IPO !!!!
  8. Google does the same thing....that's why I stopped spending my advertising dollars with them......
  9. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 298

While trolling Apple seems spontaneous, some brands like Google or AMD have their own dedicated trolls named guest...
  10. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,523   +312

Low blow for Facebook, but we will have to see how verifiable are those claims and how open Facebook will be about their raw ad logs. Unlike the Guest above commented, Google has been working on fine tuning its AdSense system for years and I'm pretty sure today they keep a very clean slate for this kind of things.
  11. About as well as they deleted the street view data? :)

12. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 632   +116

I can't remember ever clicking on an advertisement on Facebook. The vast majority of them look cheap and shady.
  13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,818   +1,431

OMG - LOL

However I do believe they came forward when they discovered they still had the data, so you can't say they were intentionally holding the data. I do agree though, good intentions don't always get the job done. At least Google is presenting the public with good intentions, I'm not so sure about Facebook.
  14. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,815   +646

...not unlike a large quantity of facebook accounts
  15. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 676   +41

Prob bots made by fb to generate money ofcourse, who would click on an ad for ANY reason
  16. I forgot Facebook even had advertisement since I've used Adblock for years now!
  17. Hard to say...they may have been caught, then allowed to 'come forward'. The reports I read seemed to indicate that they are no longer going to delete the data, they are turning it over to the authorities for review. Sounds to me like a deal was made. Now not only does google have the data, the government does to.

I don't trust either one of them. Neither one of them have the end users best interests at heart.
  18. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

FaceBook and I have never been friends. I refused MySpace as well. It wouldnt surprise me if FB employees have bots on thier own home PCs. FaceBook itself I dont think will have any blatant involvment. Its way too shady. They want to keep thier noses clean especially after thier stock incident being fresh in everyones mind.
  19. Advertising on fakebook? They actually do that? When I was on fakebook a few months ago, Adblock didn't let anything past. Oh well, fakebook is but a distant memory for me.
  20. They should use their Facebook page to sell their click-tracking software to other advertisers so long term customers can find out how much they've been overcharged and then sue Facebook.
  21. RajeGera

RajeGera Newcomer, in training Posts: 50

There are so many who have been doing in Fiverr.com and if not then post what u want in frellancing kinda websites.
  22. RajeGera

RajeGera Newcomer, in training Posts: 50

You can only control the software automation by following captcha but I think you cant stop it.Even so many technologies support automation by keepig coding simple like.Net.
  23. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Cranky old Fred Reed, the writer, said he'd heard a Facebook page was a good first step toward publicizing his e-books but he'd rather have untreatable TB. From the comments here I'd gather Reed's attitude isn't uncommon. What Tygerstrike said about Facebook employees running click-bots from home to prop up their employer's financials does make a sad kind of sense. If they got caught at it, however... ouch! Another body blow when Facebook is already staggered, regardless of whether the fb executives knew anything about it. Oops, there went another dollar off the stock price.
  24. Most people that know how to use the internet have flash and javascript disabled and run them on command. This is due to javascript and flash being terrible. Web developers need to learn to stop relying on javascript and flash.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.