TechSpot

Startup Items

By thadanman2k1
Mar 17, 2003
  1. What do I put in RUN to set what programs open at startup? I forgot.:rolleyes:

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,209   +424

A string variable with the value data set to the path of the executable

LNCPapa

3. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

If you are looking for the System Configuration Utility, type "msconfig" (no quotation marks)

4. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

NOTE: it is generally not a good idea to mess around in SCU (unless you are an advanced user), as you could end up messing up your computer as I have once already. I had to do a format of my main HD :( . I would recommend creating a restore point first :grinthumb .

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

disabling startup items hardly messes your comp up so bad you need a reinstall.
    Only thing you can do is to disable some critical service (that's why we have a services tweak guide here).

6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

It is just common sense to make a restore point before you make ANY congifuration changes. You should also make a note of anything you change, so if you do screw up, it will be easy to fix.

Nods is right, screwing something up in startup shouldn't warrant a reinstall.

7. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

In my case it was as I had numerous registry problems to start with :( , I must admit that I exaggerated a little bit; I had needed a format anyway. But it can still cause a few unnecessary headaches!

8. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

Shouldn't be much probelm dealing with "msconfig".

You should see several useful guides in the "Techspot Guides" http://www.techspot.com/guides-os.shtml in assisting you to configure your start-up programs.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.