Startup Items

By thadanman2k1
Mar 17, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What do I put in RUN to set what programs open at startup? I forgot.:rolleyes:
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,284   +262

A string variable with the value data set to the path of the executable

LNCPapa
  3. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

If you are looking for the System Configuration Utility, type "msconfig" (no quotation marks)
  4. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 536   +12

NOTE: it is generally not a good idea to mess around in SCU (unless you are an advanced user), as you could end up messing up your computer as I have once already. I had to do a format of my main HD :( . I would recommend creating a restore point first :grinthumb .
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

disabling startup items hardly messes your comp up so bad you need a reinstall.
    Only thing you can do is to disable some critical service (that's why we have a services tweak guide here).
  6. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

It is just common sense to make a restore point before you make ANY congifuration changes. You should also make a note of anything you change, so if you do screw up, it will be easy to fix.

Nods is right, screwing something up in startup shouldn't warrant a reinstall.
  7. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 536   +12

In my case it was as I had numerous registry problems to start with :( , I must admit that I exaggerated a little bit; I had needed a format anyway. But it can still cause a few unnecessary headaches!
  8. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Shouldn't be much probelm dealing with "msconfig".

You should see several useful guides in the "Techspot Guides" http://www.techspot.com/guides-os.shtml in assisting you to configure your start-up programs.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.