Static ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmado

Hello , i want to make my ip address fixed. i did that thing about port forwarding so when i open "local area connection status" and click on the support tab , my ip address is fixed every time i restart my pc.

The problem is when go to "http://www.ip-adress.com/" i find my ip address changing . i wana make it fixed . how can i ?

I wana do this because i have an ftp site (and iam sharing it) . every time the ip address changes , i need to go and i change my share link. that's tiring

Please help

static addresses have two perspectives
  1. WAN side; your public IP from the ISP
  2. LAN side; addresses managed by your router
What you did was part(2)
To solve the WAN side, you need to
  1. purchase a domain name and get your ISP to support the newly assigned address
  2. OR use dyndns.com to follow the dynamic public address from your ISP

I currently use Verizon as an ISP and my router will constantly change my outward IP address, (WAN side,) but it will almost always assign the same IPs to all the computers that are using that router. That may be your problem, your ISP may change your IP. Port forwarding rules though always remain the same, to bad i have that same problem :(
No-ip.com offers something that will usually change WAN ip forwarding automatically I believe

Go to dynDNS.com to get a FREE dns hostname. Example: if the name is still available you could get the hostname ahmado.dnsalias.net for free!

1. Signup for a free dyndns account
2. Look under free services and signup and choose a hostname
3. You can use one of two methods to keep your hostname in sync with the IP WAN address assigned by your ISP. Either
> Look under Support tools and download the updater app from dyndns to your computer. It will need to be running all the time (tho it takes very low CPU cycles) OR
> Use a router that support dns updates (most Netgears provide the support). Then the router handles the dns updates (so you needn't be running the updater tool on your computer)

I currently use Verizon as an ISP and my router will constantly change my outward IP address, (WAN side,) but it will almost always assign the same IPs to all the computers that are using that router. <snip>

Hi yello88

You should likely be able to get your router to always (vs. almost always) assign the same LAN side IP addresses. If they sometimes change i'm going to guess its due to occasional IP address conflicts
> Either assign static IP addresses that are outside the DHCP IP address range OR
> and even better for configuring laptops IMHO: use address reservation on your router to reserve an IP for your laptop

yes, my netgear allows MAC filtering to preassign the IP address for the system.
anything not in the MAC table is assigned an IP address outside the MAC table :)

hey guys , may i ask on more question. if i find a solution to it , then u will save a lot of my time.
Recently , i made an FTP site using Guildftpd . it is nice but it will need my computer working 24 hours for my ftp site to work. is there any other solution ?

any 'service' that needs to be accessible 24/7 will require the host to also run 24/7

look for some FREE or cheap hosting provider --- but then you have the privacy and security issues ---

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back