TechSpot

Static sound from onboard sound = dead?

By druck
Apr 26, 2009
  1. Hello,
    I have recently bought a secon hand Asus m2n-e sli mo'bo, from a friend.
    All was going well, everything was set up with drivers from origional discs.

While playing a game (lost plannet: Extreeme condidtion) my pc crashed and reset itself. Since then i have been unable to get any sound, when sound is played it just makes a static sound. The only slight bit of sound i can hear is when playing the speaker test program in C-media. I can hear the voice slightly under the static sound.

I have tryed:
    >All ports.
    >Rolling back drivers.
    >Latest C-media drivers from Asus.
    > Ac97 drivers.

>Sound card:I tryed to use a Creative Audigy Soundblaster (X-Fi XtremeGamer). After inserting into my mobo my computer failed to boot, or even reach bios.

If anyone could provide answers/solution to either of my problems I would be very greatfull.

Thanks Craig

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Start > Run > sfc /scannow

This will confirm all Windows files are intact. Your Windows CD may be required during the scan if any files are found corrupted

3. druck

druck TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the sugestion, but it made no difference.
    It did need the CD, but nothing changed.

4. druck

druck TS Rookie Topic Starter

Problem solved.

I decided to install windows on a new hard drive and install all drivers etc from scratch (just to be 100% sure The onboard sound was actualy broken). After install it came up with the crackle sound, once restarted tho it fine, all audio worked. So i put my origional hard drive back in and for some strange reason audio wokred again.....
    Its a mystery to me as i never touched the origional hard drive and it just started working.
    O well, thanks for your help anyway.

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Yes I can see that working. It was a faulty partition.
    Now I know a partition has nothing to do with format or drivers, but I have seen faulty partitions do numerous things, including not installing Windows in the first place, or having a few few extra restarts during Windows install

A "clean" Windows install, means remove the partition first.
    I have written about it here (in the lower half of the post): http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123957.html

Anyway, thanks for the update :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.