Steam games do not launch after "preparing to launch" issue

dozzyo9080

My steam games do not launch after the preparing to launch message. I have visited https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568 and it is no luck. I think i have tried everything. May you please have a look? By the way I have been talking to steam support for half a year now and still no fix. I am hoping someone here can help me.:(

oh heres an error message
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: hl2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ea78f27
Fault Module Name: StackHash_b4ee
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 013a0000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b4ee
Additional Information 2: b4ee5de6a2322745523997a782b35692
Additional Information 3: 277e
Additional Information 4: 277e19c30fbd5f6bb531ec9e027c37c3

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Can we get more information about the system you are running, specifically items like the following help:

OS
Virus Protection
Firewalls

I'm guessing you've also run through the gauntlet of stuff steam has suggestion, but have you checked firewall issues or virus protection issues blocking the steam authenticator? Sometimes that can cause an issue when trying to run games.

Can we get more information about the system you are running, specifically items like the following help:

OS
Virus Protection
Firewalls

I'm guessing you've also run through the gauntlet of stuff steam has suggestion, but have you checked firewall issues or virus protection issues blocking the steam authenticator? Sometimes that can cause an issue when trying to run games.

yeah it may be these issues or compatibility.
It may seem *****ic but try right clicking and selecting "RUN COMPATIBLITY TEST".
This will tell you whether OS supports this game or not.

Ok, so it looks to me like you are using Windows 7 - judging by the OS version listed in that dump. Also, are you getting a BSOD? What specifically happens, from beginning to end, when you try to launch a game? There is simply not enough information to help you.

Are you running any of these as an admin? It's possible that permissions just aren't set correctly for whatever reason.

Ok, so it looks to me like you are using Windows 7 - judging by the OS version listed in that dump. Also, are you getting a BSOD? What specifically happens, from beginning to end, when you try to launch a game? There is simply not enough information to help you.

Are you running any of these as an admin? It's possible that permissions just aren't set correctly for whatever reason.
Ummm ok so i click to play the game. It says "Preparing to launch Team Fortress 2" the message goes away and it never plays without an error message. The only way I was able to get the error message was making a new user (Admin) account on my computer and running it there. When it crashed there i got that message.

I have been talking to support forever and they do not help. So this has been a problem since last September.

OS
Virus Protection
Firewalls

Ya i did that. did not work

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way. I found that the game works if I disable the in-game overlay. But that ruins it for me due to the fact that my purpose for steam is to play games with my friends and get achievements. SO the issue is relating to that

OS
Virus Protection
Firewalls
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate; 32-Bit. I did the anytime upgrade from Vista which steam worked great on. (it worked on vista btw)
Virus Protection: Microsoft Security Essentials
Firewall: Not a problem never was

I know i've had issues with something similar, so my apologies for the seemingly random questions, but how are your hard drives setup? Do you have multiple partitions? If so, is the partition with steam installed on it the same as your OS?

For whatever reason, Steam has these stupid "pre-running" things it likes to do, one of which is always something that installs runtime or directX or something. Windows 7 seems to have an innate issue with allowing those things to run.

I had a similar issue (granted mine just froze up at the "step 2 of 2, installing directX runtime") in which I repartitioned my drives, uninstalled steam, and reinstalled it on the new partition WITHOUT the OS. It seemed to stop any weird configuration issues. That may be worth a try.

Otherwise, it sounds like the issue is with steam; i'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling it, but that never seems to fix anything with steam anymore. Otherwise, check drives on your video card (which, btw, what vid card are you running?) I'm wondering if there's an issue with that interfering with the steam overlay.

I know i've had issues with something similar, so my apologies for the seemingly random questions, but how are your hard drives setup? Do you have multiple partitions? If so, is the partition with steam installed on it the same as your OS?

For whatever reason, Steam has these stupid "pre-running" things it likes to do, one of which is always something that installs runtime or directX or something. Windows 7 seems to have an innate issue with allowing those things to run.

I had a similar issue (granted mine just froze up at the "step 2 of 2, installing directX runtime") in which I repartitioned my drives, uninstalled steam, and reinstalled it on the new partition WITHOUT the OS. It seemed to stop any weird configuration issues. That may be worth a try.

Otherwise, it sounds like the issue is with steam; i'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling it, but that never seems to fix anything with steam anymore. Otherwise, check drives on your video card (which, btw, what vid card are you running?) I'm wondering if there's an issue with that interfering with the steam overlay.
I don't know what repartitioning is. sorry

Back