TechSpot

Steam posts hardware and software survey results for June 2012

By Jos
Jul 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Steam has published has published the results of its June 2012 hardware and software survey, providing some interesting -- albeit hardly surprising -- views at the technology people using Valve's digital distribution platform are relying on. When it comes to……

Read more
  2. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 342   +56

6% for other GPU? Does that mean there are people out there using Matrox and S3 video cards to play Steam games?
  3. abysal

abysal TS Rookie Posts: 61   +9

S3 ViRGE yo!
  4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 847   +218

Long live the 5770.
    I remember getting a pair of those for $320 when the 5870 cost $400 and the GTX 480 cost even more...
    I got better then 5870 performance and surprisingly good min frames.
    No surprise Nvidia makes up 47%, best GPUs in the world, best driver suite in the world, best gaming experience with the most features in the world.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +99

Not to make a big deal about it but what you said is just not right, the 5770 is exactly half a 5870, take in to account scaling is not perfect (~90%) meaning two 5770's in crossfire can't beat a single 5870, its just not happening, sorry. Value wise you are right to say it was a good deal.
  6. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I have 16 CPU threads and have Steam... but they list it as 0.00%... :(
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,962   +1,482

Perhaps you are showing up under 8 physical CPU's instead.
    spydercanopus likes this.
  8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,836   +667

It's the 7 physical CPU cores option that has me scratching my head
    spydercanopus likes this.
  9. cliffordcooley

OMG - I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. LOL

That is strange that 7 physical cores would even be listed.
  10. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

They have 5 and 3 cores listed as well, I guess for the cpu's with defective cores?
  11. cliffordcooley

AMD does have three core CPU's on the market.

12. ShadowDeath

ShadowDeath TS Rookie Posts: 51

Yes, you have to keep in mind these probably aren't just desktops. My laptop runs a Phenom II X3. The X4 was $200 more and not worth the price for what I'd use it for. As for the 7 and 5 cores, it's possible those are chips with bad cores or the person disabled one for an overclock. So many crazy factors are involved.
  13. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

Two 5770's are a fair bit faster than one 5870. (around 15%)
    5770 in Crossfire = 24836 pts - 3dmark06
    5870 single = 21131 pts - 3dmark06

http://tinyurl.com/cdxhu63
  14. cliffordcooley

Disabling a core for the intent to over-clock seems a bit counter productive.
  15. f111

f111 TS Rookie Posts: 24

Not at all, as most games only utilize between two and four cores effectively, having extra cores is worthless while increasing the clock speed on fewer cores will increase performance.
  16. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,836   +667

Nice in theory...except that to achieve seven cores, you'd need to start with eight...which I'm pretty sure means you're dealing with a Xeon CPU (Beckton, Sandy Bridge-EP/-EN), of which, none are really overclockable (BCLK only on two boards*- which becomes more a motherboard subsystem limitation situation)

* SR-X and Z9PE-D8
  17. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +6

lol I re
    Lol I remember the day of paying like a grand for 8800GTX SLI, or £300 for a 3dfx card stupid money in comparism today to the performance im getting from my 680.
  18. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

There is also the inverse, AMD sells (sold?) CPUs with cores disabled that you can then unlock with the right motherboard. I have a Phenom II X2 that I'm able to unlock the 4th core on (so 1, 2 and 4 work) thus getting a 3 core chip.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.