TechSpot

Steve Ballmer names Windows Vista as biggest regret while CEO

By Scorpus
Aug 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. On Friday, Microsoft's Steve Ballmer announced that he would be retiring from his position as CEO within the next 12 months. The long-standing executive oversaw many operating system, software and product releases as CEO, but speaking to ZDNet's Mary Jo...

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,323   +710

He should star in a sitcom as the whacky dad who thinks he's hip to what's hot with the kids. Either that or he should build a programming team to make a really user-friendly, high-performance and relatively closed OS that supports Windows and Linux programs automagically.

danhodge likes this.
  3. jetkami

jetkami TS Booster Posts: 100

I guess he cant tell the entire truth like Vista ran rings around windows 8.

4. stateofjermaine

stateofjermaine TS Rookie Posts: 22

Is anyone else find it kind of awkward/weird that he's announcing his retirement a year out? Maybe this is a normal thing.

5. stateofjermaine

stateofjermaine TS Rookie Posts: 22

Gah, typos.

6. Windows vista is the biggest regret? Not windows 8?

7. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 738   +247

I think it's a strategic thing. A CEO just announcing he's stepping down out of the blue can cause an investor panic, while if it's announced well ahead of time and that you're already carefully vetting a successor, the impact can not only be minimized, but hype can be built for the next guy in charge.

8. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Evangelist Posts: 334   +101

Not sure admitting that your biggest failure is your NEW OS is going to play well anywhere in the M$ cosmos. besides, everyone already knows it is.

9. Just maybe he wants to be a comedian next.

PC nerd and TechGamer like this.
  10. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

My system didn't represent the majority at the time, but Vista w/SP1 ran smooth on my 2600+, 1GB RAM and 6600GT. I never looked at XP again after that. Pre SP1, I hated Vista for its software incompatibilities. I never used compatibility mode so much in my life... assuming the programs installed at alll.

I remember the "Vista Ready" PC's debacle that hurt MS a LOT. That was some desperate and obvious damage control on day one.

Vista and W8 are two different beasts with two different problems. W8 is useable, Vista (pre SP1) was not.

11. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Addict Posts: 365   +38

^^ u just made my day haha

12. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

I love how people conveniently forgot how much they hated Vista now that Windows 8 is around. How many have used both? Heck, how many of you have used either? I hate "hate bandwagons". Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of experiencing a problem with either OS. But any unbiased person would see that clearly the incompatibility problems that I personally didn't have to endure with Vista make it, BY FAR, the worst OS. Windows 8, on the other hand, I've gotten more then used to. I think the charms bar is refreshing and actually quite useful. Metro start menu is still kinda meh to me because I don't like ADHD tiles all over my screen but I see how many should actually like it.

MilwaukeeMike and spectrenad like this.
  13. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 317   +41

I'd still rather use Vista than Shitdows 8.

14. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 481   +159

Yes, it was released in the Ballmer's era but it was developed and defended by Bill Gates.

15. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

I would rather, and do, use vista rather than windows 8. Windows 8 destroyed the whole pc industry, and has less features to allow for the tile overhead. Now, rt is going and we don't have the features anyway.

16. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

I did think he might change his mind once he has retired but that would damage his shareholding!

17. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,456   +606

Windows 7 wouldn't have been made so well without the trial and error of Windows Vista. As much as I hate to admit it, it did have some purpose.

18. Balmeristhan

19. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Vista is the reason we have windows 7 lol

20. Vista was given to India to see if MS could have everything done there (cheaper).
    Windows 7 fixed the India debacle. Windows 8 is far superior to Vista, just get Classic shell or from a dozen other start orb replacements. I run 7, and 8 on another machine (not new hardware) and Windows 8 desktop (with Classic Shell) is just fine. I won't get into the tpouch UI on a non-touch screen, that is another story

21. His biggest regret isnt that windows xp is STILL better than vista, 7, and 8?

avoidz likes this.
  22. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

I think he would do really well with a plump red nose and a party hat.
    As much as it pains me to say this, so does Windows 8.

23. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +58

Vista was a true disgrace, and sadly helped Apple and it's Mac reach new heights...which is both bad and good. Competition is the best thing for the consumers. The worst part of this is how it resulted in the catastrophe that is the Tablet home PC OS (Windows 8) good god, kill it with FIREEE!!!!!!!

24. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,696   +1,884

It's probably worse when you realize that Vista's beta test was in the form of retail copies.That was fairly obnoxious on the part of M$

I still think XP is the best version of Windows ever released. It doesn't do as much as Win 7, but it does a whole lot more with less, and less competent hardware, than either Vista or 7.

avoidz likes this.
  25. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

If we critique Vista vs. Windows ME, I think that he did ok.