Still having BSOD while playing games on W7 64-bit

Knuckles91

I came here a couple months ago looking for help because I was getting blue screens while playing games, route44 was really helpful and helped me reduce how often they occur, but they're still happening. I used driversweeper which helped but didn't completely stop them. I'm uploading my last 5 crash reports, the second-to-last one occurred when I wasn't even playing a game, just streaming vids. I'd love any kind of help please :)

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    126.9 KB · Views: 2
Hello knuckles

I have gone through all of your dumps, with no clear suspect TBH. One crash was caused by MSI Afterburner, whereas two cited Realtek audio driver, and further two pointed at 'USB Audio' device. Now do you have an USB Realtek device? If so, look for its updated driver, if there is none, try reverting back to windows default driver and see what happens.

Also, have you overclocked your graphic card by any chance?

I will have a look at your previous threads as soon as I can, to be bit better informed of your problem history. Regards

i don't overclock and i have a gamecom plantronics headset, and it's not USB. i have a rocketfish camera with a mic in it that's USB so perhaps that's it, but i haven't even used it since i got this computer. i unplugged it and i'm gonna see if that really was the problem

Okay, kindly do keep us updated, in addition to this, as you are not overclocking stuff, I'd suggest you to temporarily uninstall MSI Afterburner software.

I only use afterburner for fan control, as in some games my temperature exceeds 70 degrees, but i'll uninstall and see if that helps

Okay, the idea is to shortlist what may be causing these BSODs.

By the way did Route asked you to run driver verifier ?

Fair enough, if you get any BSOD please do upload the dump, and then we'll see whether we need to run driver verifier.

By the way please do give us complete system specs including PSU type/wattage etc.

My system specs are:
Power Supply - 650W, Max output: 780W
Motherboard - ASUS P5QL/EPU FSB O.C. 1600
Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar SATA 400GB
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz
RAM - 4GB DDR2 800MHz
Video Card - Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

I just got 3 new dumps, 2 occurring while not even playing a game, this almost NEVER happens. I believe the problem is with my RAM/Motherboard compatability. I just installed 2 more gigs of RAM yesterday, bringing me up to 4Gb, and since then I've had 3 BSODs while not in a game, which again, almost never happens. when route44 was helping me he asked to check the voltage specs of my RAM to see if it matches the voltage of my motherboard, but I couldn't find my voltage info in my BIOS anywhere... so I'm guessing that may be the problem. anyways, here's the latest dumps.

P.S. the last thing route44 told me was "It is an 0xA error and these are either caused by hardware or a driver attempting to address a higher IRC Level that they shouldn't resulting in system crashes. Nothing definitive was cited." maybe that'll help you out. thanks a lot for the assistance.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    76.3 KB · Views: 2
1) Put your current and complete system specs in your Profile (makes it easier for anyone reading your threads :) )

2. Only based on your specs in your first post in prior thread implies you didn't install W7 SP1 yet (i think SP1 is build #7601)

Have installed SP1? and checked for any other Windows Updates as well?
My computer specs are:
Power Supply - 650W, Max output: 780W
Motherboard - ASUS P5QL/EPU FSB O.C. 1600
Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar SATA 400GB
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz
RAM - 2GB DDR2 800MHz Kingston
Video Card - Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

/* EDIT */
Ooops. Just noticed you re-posted your specs in your very last post :eek: tho it still shows build 7600 so i'm still guessing you haven't installed SP1 / all Windows updates? p.s. still advise you post most current specs in your TechSpot profile

Again two dumps cite Rt64win7.sys (Realtek driver) and one utorrent process as the cause of crash.

Now that we know you have Asus motherboard, I suspect RAM configuration may be an issue as well. Unfortunately, Asus motherboards are rather 'difficult' for a normal user to configure. Can you check RAM specs/voltage in BIOS and ensure that they are exactly what your RAM's packaging stated.

sorry it took so long to reply, i've been on vacation for the past week. i just went into my BIOS and i believe i found my RAM's voltage. it says 1.850000V. and the packaging doesn't say anything about voltage.

That is alright, I hope you enjoyed your time away.

Can you provide model number of your Kingston RAM?

actually i was mistaken, my RAM isn't Kingston, it's Crucial. the model number for my 2 gig ram card i recently bought is CT25664AA800

According to Crucial:

Part Number: CT25664AA800
Module Size: 2GB
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •

Now see that it is rated as 1.8V not 1.85 as your BIOS told you, so I'd suggest you to adjust the voltage according to Crucial's specs.

Okay, I've asked a friend who is probably the best goto person in such hardware issues. So kindly be patient, and hopefully the issue can be fixed. Regards

Note: Unfortunately I couldn't find this Crucial RAM on QVL for this motherboard :(

Hi Knuckles...I'm the guy Archean mentioned in the post above. As he mentioned your memeory module isn't listed in Asus QVL, but since they stop updating the list around a month before the board launched then it's not a given that there is incompatibility.
From what I've seen in the thread, you have most (if not all) of the BIOS options on "Auto" -is this correct? If so, then we will need to change a few values for the memory to work correctly.

As Archean mentioned, your Crucial RAM (CT25664AA800) has working timings of 6 (-6-6-18/-21). Your board is most likely set up to default 5-5-5-15 ("Auto") which would be too tight for your RAM. If this is the case then we need to change some values in the BIOS. IF the correct timings (6-6-6-18 or 6-6-6-21?) ARE showing in the BIOS then you could have memory incompatibility, or possibly a defective RAM stick (if so then go to the the section on testing RAM with Memtest86+)

As an added precaution, could you download and run Memset. This utility will show all the RAM timings (DO NOT change any settings in the fields- they will override your BIOS settings). Click the "SPD" button and a second screen will show up with the RAM timings (see post#2 for screenshot)

To eliminate the timings as being the culprit, note the following steps and boot into your BIOS...
Click the A.I.Tweaker menu tab...
Set AI Overclock Tuner to "Manual" (from "Auto")
Set FSB Frequency to 333 (from "Auto")
Set PCIE Frequency to 100 (from "Auto")
Set DRAM Frequency to DDR2-800 (from "Auto")
Set Memory Over Voltage to 1.85v (from "Auto") -as you've noticed, this is as low as the board will allow the voltage to be set.
Next...
Click on the Advanced tab (next to the AI Tweaker tab)
Click on "Chipset" (should be the second option on the list)
Set DRAM Timing Control to "Manual" (from "Auto")
You will now have the timing options available to you...
Set CAS# Latency to "6" (from 5 or Auto)
Set DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay to "6" (from 5 or Auto)
Set DRAM RAS# Precharge to "6" (from 5 or Auto)
Set RAS# Activate to Precharge to "18"-or whatever is shown in the SPD screen from Memset (from 15 or Auto)
Leave everything else as is.
F10 to save and exit
You now have the optimum memory settings.

You should now test the RAM to make sure that it is running correctly (both the timings and from a defect point of view) if you haven't already done so. Download Memtest86+ and follow the instructions laid down in the post I linked to in the other thread (first paragraph then continue after the screenshot).

A successful test will verify that the RAM is good, and good at the timings indicated. You can pretty much eliminate the RAM from being the culprit if your BSoD's continue.

I did everything you said except memtest. i got another BSOD after changing the settings so that didn't seem to work. i did notice however that one of my 1GB RAM cards has no brand name, it's about 5-6 years old and it came with my old computer (Dell Dimension 8400). anyways, i just got a hunch that that card may have been the problem all along, so i removed it and i'm gonna try some games, if i can play for more than an hour then i'll assume it's fixed, if not i'll run memtest. thanks a lot to both of you for the assistance.

yes i can't believe it but it actually was that one RAM card, i've been stressing myself out so much trying to figure out this problem for months! thanks so much for helping though, you guys are awesome :) +100 karma

As luck would have it, you probably fixed it yourself, as a rule of thumb, mixing two types of RAM is never a good idea.

I have done it couple of times, but after ensuring that all parameters match, and that I have no other alternative. Anyway, happy computing. Regards

yea i fixed it myself, but you guys are just so awesome for helping all these people with their computer problems :) and i'm sorry for wasting your time like this when the problem was so simple

All good. So long as the problem is fixed, then that's all that counts in the long run. Also makes a useful exercise for anyone else in a similar predicament that might view the thread in future.
Thanks for the follow up.

well i was sure it was fixed but the dreaded BSOD has returned :( i had no problems for a little while but now they're back and occurring regularly again. i ran memtest and it passed 4 times, 5th test had 16 errors. i could only write down 11 errors cause i couldn't figure out how to scroll down to see the rest, i assume when you asked for error codes you meant the failing address (that's the only code i see) so here's the numbers. they all occurred on test 5.

000782eba5c
000782eba60
000782eba64
000782eba68
000782eba6c
000782eba70
000782eba74
000782eba78
000782eba7c

Address codes are basically immaterial. The fact that they exist is enough to verify that the RAM is failing. Contact Crucial -refer to the section (grey box) titled "RMA number required" to begin the process of replacement under warranty (Crucial memory is lifetime warranty).
You maybe able to organise cross-shipping (I have done in the past with Crucial, although I do a reasonable amount of business with them so my experience may not be indicative of yours).
Good luck.

Back