TechSpot

Stock overclocking for AMD Phenom II 720 Black Edition?

By donkeybat64
May 17, 2009
  1. I just built my first system.

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 - $86

Antec Sonata Designer 500 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W - $80

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB - $82

AMD triple core 720 – combo ($219 CPU + MOBO)

LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW - $25

OCZ 4 gig ram - free

****ing shipping - $8

Total: $500

I ran out of money to buy a cpu heatsink, what would be the appropriate overclocking for a phenom II 720 black edition on stock heatsink?

Thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,230   +232

You tell us when you have the stock heatsink installed and the system is up and running stable

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

Yep, good luck, don't push above 70 c on load.

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hi Donkey,
    and now for something completely different. assuming you have a quality psu ( you did not list it) you should first read up on overclocking, and understand what it is you are doing to your hardware. If this is your first go-around with it. this is a great article, it is not specific to your cpu, but the same principles apply. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/102
    take it from someone who overclocks everything(my toaster is overclocked) there are two things that damage cpu's, frequency and heat. and they work in tandem. Download a good temperature monitor like this
    http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
    keep your temps 20c below the manufacturers maximum operating temperature at all times. if you want to go higher than that, get after market cooling solution. Happy overclocking :)

5. donkeybat64

donkeybat64 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

I have thought about overclocking my processor as i just finished putting all the components together. (took five hours :() And i realized that i do not need overclocking right now, I read the article anyways, its a great article, very informative. i think overclocking is a great option for the future but right now 3 cores running at 2.8 ghz is just fine for me and for what i do.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.