STOP:0X0000007B (0xF79FE528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000,0x00000000) can't repair either

Status
Not open for further replies.

strider1

my brothers dell laptop is messing up and he cant boot up into windows. whenever he tries to boot into safemode even he gets a blue screen.
Code:
STOP:0X0000007B (0xF79FE528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000,0x00000000)

I think thats right

do you think its bad ram?

and also my brother told me he left his hardrive space get down to 2 gigs so maybe thats why ha?

But apparently the code above comes back as comes back as an inaccessible boot device. I tried doing a system repair by using the OS disk but I get this:

The partition is either too fullk, damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incomptabile fil esystem. To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this partition.

It's weird because I see 3 partitions on a single 100 gig hardrive.

Partition1 [fat] is 55 MB (47 free)
Partition 2 [Unkonwn] 91589 MB (91589 free)
Partition 3 [FAT32] 3750 MB (423 free)

Hopefully I haven't lost all my data :(

Any ideas on what to do? Thanks

You waste a lot of hard drive space splitting a 100GB hard drive into 3 partitions... Pull that hard drive and install a "clean" hard drive for testing. Check or swap your memory too. When you have a stable computer you can attach the 3 partition drive as a slave (or second SATA drive) and recover its files that way

well the thing is those partitions just showed up. my brother doesnt know anything about computers so i doubt he woudl even know how to format that. How can I "pull the hardrive" if its in a laptop? is it possible to use an external and hook that up to test?

Hi strider1!

Dell has a diagnostic tool built in to the computer to test the system memory and other components. I believe if you press F10 at the BIOS screen, it should show the boot options. At the bottom, there should be an option for the diagnostic tool.

Let me know if that works.

Laptop hard drives are located at the bottom of the laptop under a plastic door in most models. You need a very small philips screwdriver to remove the door and the hard drive...

ahh i see

Start DST SHort Test
Test Results : Fail
Error COde : 1000-0146

got this as well

Error Code : 0F00:136C. Msg:IDE device failed: Blank media is present in optical drive

guessing the HD is dead?

Yes, the hard drive has failed... Can you replace it yourself? You will need a new hard drive and a Windows install disc

After quickly searching the error code, it does look like a hard drive fault. At this point, see if your laptop is still under warranty. If it isn't don't fear, a laptop HDD is pretty cheap these days. You can pick up one from $60 CAD.

As for the information that is on it if you want to recover it; you will have to hook up that hard drive to another computer as a USB mass storage device. To do this you will have to take out the hard drive and hook it up to a 2.5 inch SATA/IDE to USB connector. You should be able to find this at your local computer store.

Here is a few links regarding the above devices;

USB to IDE/SATA Hard Drive adapter
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3249952&CatId=3770

Seagate 250GB SATA HDD
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4777425&CatId=1277

Also, if you do end up getting a new hard drive, make sure it is the proper interface (IDE or SATA), you can normally tell by the connector. IDE has a bunch of pins whereas SATA there is no pins.

Hope that helps.

So apparently I have a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST9100823A Hard Drive. according to http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST9100823A Hard Drive:1991649836

it is a "ATA-100"

according to newegg http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16822146223

it is a ATA-6

but which category does this fall under?!! also is it an IDE or SATA?! i think it might be IDE because I see it has 22 pins(an empty one on pin 13) and then a space between a box of 4 pins. But what is the 4 pins? IS that for power? cause the adapter thing that you linked me was only 22 pins.

I;m confused :(

weird and another thing is i was checking an old computer from like 2000 and the IDE connector only had 20 pin slots! whats up with that?

Any 3.5 inch IDE external hard drive enclosure will work... Try to get an externally powered one though

ok well i got this 2.5 inch IDE external hardrive enclosure actually which connected USB but its painfully slow. is it because its USB or is it because of the hardrive.

i usually get speeds of like 400 KB/s sometimes up to a meg sometimes trudges and goes like 10 KB/s

this is going to take forever to transfer everything :(

and also its wierd. i cant transfer lots of files at a time. like say theres 1000 files in a folder....i try to transfer but it actually doesnt happen even though it looks like it will. itll show the little box that will pop up calculates how many items there are but then it wont transfer, itll just close. can it not handle it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back