Stop error & BSOD

mojotiger

After installing a mb and cpu (an MSI K9N4 Ultra and AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ w/ 2 GB ddr 2 RAM) , starting up in normal mode I get the BSOD & STOP: 0x0000007E (0xF779C756,0xF79FB42C, 0xF79B1228). The error message mentions chaning video adapter and I have, but I still get the same dang thing! I have run checkdisk with automatic repairs, and even tried a repair installation of Windows XP Pro w/SP2 ot no avail. Before the attempted repair installation, it booted into 'Safe Mode' with no problem, and no apparent driver problems shown in Device Manager. I have switched the memory as well, and still the BSOD. When Googling the entire error message, I get nothing.

Anyone got any ideas?

Since you can load via Safe Mode you are most likely dealing with a bad driver. Also, do the following (you can do this is Safe Mode)...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

BSOD & Stope error msg.

Thanks for your suggestion, but since I had attempted a repair installation, I can't start in safe mode as it is stuck in that mode..

Any other suggestions of how to retrieve the data?

Yes, do you have access to another system? If so you can slave your harddrive to that system and access your information.

Okeedoke, here are the 5 most recent minidump

files zipped.

I appreciate your help!

Attachments

• MiniDump.zip
    114.2 KB · Views: 1
Your crashes are caused by two Nvidia drivers: nv4_disp.dll and nv4_mini.sys.

The fact that you have not updated to Service Pack 3 for XP can add to the problem. We here at TechSpot strongly urge everyone who run XP to upgrade to SP3 for both driver stability and security.

Anyway, I suggest doing the following...

1. Go to our Download section and click on Utilities and then download Driver Sweeper 3.1 to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Thanks! Do you have a tip for how to get the computer out of the endless,

re-start loop that involves the attempted reapir Installation of Windows? also, would it be safe to delete the two files named as the problem and then complete the Repair install?

Thanks a ton for your kind help!!!

I did that

but still get the exact same BSOD and message STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF779C756, 0xF79FB42C, 0xF79FB128). What else can I do?

BSO again, but new error message and minidump

files are curious. The most recent date is almost a year old. Could they be stored somewhere else due to the attempted repair install?

The new BSOD error message is: STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x780C750, 0xF79FBA, 0xF79FB128).

I really appreciate your help!

Keep 'em straight inThe Peoples Republic!! ;>)

Attachments

• minidump2.zip
    46.1 KB · Views: 2
How long ago did you install your new(er) cpu and motherboard? The reason I ask is because your 2010 minidumps cite the nv4_mini.sys as the cause of your issues.

What is the make and model of your Nvidia card?

Well,

The mb & cpu were installed last week. The video card is an evga GeForce 8400 GS.
I checked the date & time in the BIOS and it has the correct date. I'm flummoxed by the fact the minidumps show no recent dates. That makes no sense to me.
Thanks for your help!

Hmmm, I am wondering if the card itself is bad. Clean out all your old minidumps. Though I don't like to let's see if it BSOD's and when it does if new mindumps are written.

Did that

and still get BSOD etc., but no new minidump. DANG!!!
I installed another video adapter, MSI8400GS (NVidia GeForce), and still get BSOD STOP ERROR: 0x0000007E (0x0000005,
0XF774C750, 0XF79FB42C, 0XF79FB128). This is gettig ridiculous!!

BTW, no new minidump.

What can I try now?

Thanks again for your help Route44!!!

First, update to Service Pack 3 and then do the following to enable minidumps...

1. Right click My Computer > click Properties > click Advance tab

2. The Advance Screen at the bottom right has Error Reporting. Click this on.

3. Click Enabled error reporting and also check both boxes underneath: Windows operating system and Programs.

4. Now click Choose Programs and click All Programs. Then click Okay and that screen will close. At the next screen click Okay and that will close.

5. You are back to the Advance screen. Find the Start up and Recovery which has underneath it System startup, system failure, and debugging information. Click the Settings box.

6. Another screen will open. You want the System failure section. Enable all three boxes.

7. Under these boxes is Write debugging information. Choose the option Small memory dump (64kb). Click OK and that screen will close.

8. Click OK one more time and you'll be finished. Now the ability for your system to write minidumps should be enabled.

Ok

but how do I get it to stop looping for the repair installation? I can't boot the computer to address the settings you mentioned.

I can and will slipstream sp 3 into the XP Pro disc and try that. If then it can boot, terrific, I can change the settings as you say. Other than that I don't know how to do what you say. Am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help Route44! I really appreciate it.

I slipstreamed SP 3

into the XP Pro disc and attempted a repair install, but after it copied the files and re-started, voila!

BSOD STOP: 0x000000FE (0xC0000005, 0xF77FC756, 0xF79FB42C, 0xF79FB126) message. I got slight variation from previous stop message, but the net effect is the same. Oh, no new minidump files.

What can I try now? There's gotta be a way.

Thanks for hanging in there with me Route44, I appreciate your help!

Back