Substitute for Spybot Search & Destroy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

almcneil

Techies,

I'm calling on the spyware experts on this newsgroup.

I recently had a customer who had nasty spyware issues. I typically use Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG Anti-Spyware. I explained to the customer that you need to use 3 anti-spyware utilities as there are different types of spyware. I then explained what each one of the 3 I recommend checks for. In the case of Spybot it's very good at getting the "nasty" types of spyware, the ones that try to change or add some kind of functionality on your computer but end up corrupting it. Then Spybot hung. I tried in vain to get around it (i.e. Safe Mode, unchecking sticky detection rules, ... ) but couldn't. He then asked what a good substitute for Spybot is. Frankly, I couldn't answer his question. The only one I know that might check for the same types of spyware as Spybot would be Super-Antispyware but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

I suggest your friend reinstall. Spybot S&D is VERY GOOD and reliable.

I find it to be an invaluable tool.

So do I!! Spybot is amazing at getting the nasty, pesky spyware!!

I just checked at Safer-Networking and they just released a beta version that fixes some known problems in Spybot.

I think you should impress on all your customers,that by the far the best

anti spyware, is in their heads.Just don`t download the stuff !

Other than that,Spyware Blaster is a good program.

Neither SSD or Spyware Blaster will remove the truly nast stuff.

SpyBot now has a new version out in BETA format. We have been testing it on 10 computers, with no problems, and much better results.
We put SpyBot on all the computers we repair. It isn't perfect. We find we must use both Adaware 2007 and Spybot 15 to get most of the evils, with the mysterious Windows Defender, which we still wonder about.

Yeah, that was the 3 I used to use. When I worked at Dell 2.5 years ago, we recommended Ad-Aware, Spybot and Microsoft Anti-Spyware. When I got back into tech support earlier this year, I started using Windows Defender, the reborn version of MS Anti-Spyware, but found it wasn't finding much. One customer was using AVG Anti-spyware and his system was very clean, so I ditched Windows Defender in favour of AVG AS. I know use Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG Anti-Spyware with a lot of success!

Frankly, I don't think there is a "substitute" for Spybot Search & Destroy. That is not to say you don't need at least one other spyware/adware program! I use the AVG paid AV, but haven't read anything impressive about it's spyware program.

Users need to understand though, that spyware/adware programs work differently. For instance, SpywareBlaster prevents, Spybot S&D 'finds & fixes'- unless you also run their Tea Timer, which I discourage as it is known to cause problems.

The paid AdAware has AdWatch which runs in Real Time and alerts the user to Registry Changed. SpySweeper is another 'dual program'. You can run the whole program, but it does consume resources or you can just run the shields.

Bobbye said:
... Spybot S&D 'finds & fixes'- unless you also run their Tea Timer, which I discourage as it is known to cause problems.
I've run Tea Timer from day one without issues. Can you cite any references for my educations please? thanks :)

Teatimer causing registry startup problem
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5109

S& D Spybot's Tea Timer
http://www.techsupportforum.com/482693-post3.html

Post #9 down
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-65017.html

At least 7 problems...what is causing this? See Reply fixes:
http://www.thetechguide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70913

Update failed: One or more files could not be updated:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2995457

Some people run Tea times and have no problems.
Some people run Norton program sand have no problems.
Some AOL users never got kicked off line.

But if does happen, it can happen and when it does, it can be costly to the system.

my windows 2000 and xp spk1 found errors with tea timer
but the xp spk2 installs all run it fine
acronis malware shield is not bad but is not free

Verify Spybot S&D / Tea Timer settings

personally, these problems all look like user configuration errors.

it doesn't help that the dialog prompt for Allow/Deny is cropped on the bottom,
AND the information about the change is cryptic.

add to this the common sense rule to click Deny if I don't understand what is going on and
with in minutes the user will have disabled many things that should have been Allowed.

Here's how to verify what Tea Timer actions have been activated and if necessary, delete any or all to start over.
  1. run Spybot S&D
  2. use Mode->Advanced
  3. go to Tools->Resident
  4. check Resident "TeaTimer"
this will cause Tea Timer to run and place its icon in the system tray
  1. right click the icon->Settings
  2. you will see FOUR icons at the top:
  3. Allowed processes, Block processes, Allowed Reg Chgs, Blocked Reg Chgs
  4. click on the last one, Blocked
you will get a list of registry keys that are protected from changes

if you wish to delete any (ie: allow changes), then just click the X on the appropriate item.

the next time that/those items are about to be changed, you will get the prompt to Allow/Deny again

BE SURE to check the Remember Box and then click the left hand button for ALLOW :)

there's an article in PC magazine or a similar mag this month that states MOST anti-virus programs are now handling anti-trojan protection adequately. Stand alone programs for anti-trojans like spybot are now becoming unnecessary. I can see this becoming a debate though.

I don't particularly care for the latest version (1.5) of SBS&D. It's load time is EXTREMELY slower than 1.4 edition.

Tedster said:
I can see this becoming a debate though.

I don't particularly care for the latest version (1.5) of SBS&D. It's load time is EXTREMELY slower than 1.4 edition.

good feedback! I'm still on 1.4 and personally like Tea Timer and the Tools section of Spybot S&D for system control :) Just my $0.02.

I noticed the load time from 1.4 to 1.5 went to minutes. Absolutely ridiculous. I did not see the advantage between the two. The scan speed seems slower as well. Don't get me wrong SBS&D is still an excellent program.

(also do not quote messages immediately below - unnecessary).

I seriously disagree with a number of yoru points!

Bobbye said:
Frankly, I don't think there is a "substitute" for Spybot Search & Destroy. That is not to say you don't need at least one other spyware/adware program!

As I wrote, I'm using multiple anti-spyware utilities, I'm looking for one that checks for the SAME type of spyware as Spybot.

Bobbye said:
I use the AVG paid AV, but haven't read anything impressive about it's spyware program.

If you meant, AVG AS, I find it quite impressive! It's one fo the 3 I recommend to my customers.

Bobbye said:
Users need to understand though, that spyware/adware programs work differently. For instance, SpywareBlaster prevents, Spybot S&D 'finds & fixes'- unless you also run their Tea Timer, which I discourage as it is known to cause problems.

Again, you are incorrect! Spybot has an "Immunization" feture that blocks a ton of known spyware!

Bobbye said:
The paid AdAware has AdWatch which runs in Real Time and alerts the user to Registry Changed. SpySweeper is another 'dual program'. You can run the whole program, but it does consume resources or you can just run the shields.

Spybot and AVG AS also have resident shields and check for registry changes.

Tedster said:
I noticed the load time from 1.4 to 1.5 went to minutes. Absolutely ridiculous. I did not see the advantage between the two. The scan speed seems slower as well. Don't get me wrong SBS&D is still an excellent program.

(also do not quote messages immediately below - unnecessary).

Safer-Networking has fixed the slow start problem in Spybot 1.5. Go to there web site for the fixes.

Well, it's like this- since you have taken issue with everything I said, setting up such impressive quotes, perhaps I'll sit back and let you answer your own question!

You do remember, don't you ,that "you" were the user "asking" the question?

As I wrote in my reply, I'm looking for another anti-spyware that checks for the SAME type of spyware as Spybot. You didn't answer that. I disagreed with what you did write simply because it had little to do with my question and are points that I already know about.

If you get this annoyed when someone disagrees with you, perhaps you shouldn't get involved in an open forum. Disagreements are part of discussions. If you can't handle disagreement, don't get into a discussion.

Tedster said:
The link to the beta fix is broken on the website.

Go into the forums and check under the one for Spybot. That's where I found it. There are two fixes. One is just two files, a new SpybotSD.exe and Domains.sbs. The other is a beta release called HelloweenSD15.exe (or something like that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back