TechSpot

Suck or Blow

By Ollie30001
Mar 26, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, is it normal for my CPU fan to suck air onto the heat sink instead of blow away from it? i thiught it would blow away from the heat sink to get rid of the heat...but it sucks air onto it..............?

Specs:

AMD Athlon 3000+ ~2.16
    512 DDR RAM
    128Mb ATI Radeon 9200 (Need a new card!)
    120GIG HDD
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Turn it around, it should suck the hot air from the CPU and blow it away
  3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Thread moved to proper forum.
  4. Raiders

Raiders Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

Do you mean the fan should draw air from MOBO to case or case to MOBO?? I maen down through or up through the Heat sink?
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

You should set the fan to suck air from the heatsink or blow air on the heatsink, according to the specifications of the manufacturor. If you're using the fan that came with your CPU, leave it as is. If you try to change it, you're responsible for whatever happens to your CPU.

Manufacturors design the heatsinks with an airflow in mind & nothing will garanty that will work well if you decide to change that.

Alpha heatsinks for example are designed so that the fan sucks air away from the heatsink but they have a cap on the top of heatsink so the fan can suck the air away in a more effective manner.

[​IMG]

Taken from the Alpha Website
  6. Supra

Supra TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 236

Every CPU cooler ive ever used has pulled air from the top of the fan and pushed it down through the fins of the heatsink.
  7. Raiders

Raiders Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

Thats what i was thinking too :confused:
  8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Most heatsinks (standard ones) are designed to have air blown onto them.

Some heatsinks are designed to have air pulled from them.

It just really depends on the heatsink. Something I might try is to try each one and use a program to monitor your temperatures.. Compare the temperatures and see which one work the best.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.