TechSpot

Survey finds people are less polite on social media than in person

By Shawn Knight
Apr 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Here’s a statement that’s likely to surprise nobody: people are less polite online than they are in person. The revelation comes as part of a recent survey from VitalSmarts which found that 88 percent of respondents agreed with the aforementioned...

Read more
  2. Noooooooooo, really??
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,981   +1,488

I wonder if they had to take a survey, to come to this conclusion.
  4. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 633   +123

Yet another brilliant piece of investigative journalism brought to you by VitalSmarts, a subsidiary of The Ministry Of Bleedin' Obvious.
  5. coppersloane

coppersloane TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

And the comments above me just prove the subject of this article. Well done, boys.
  6. cliffordcooley

Not just above yours, yours is included!
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  7. Lurker101

I take exception to that comment. I think you'll find that I, and perhaps a great many other Techspot posters, are just as sarcastic and caustic in real life as we are on the internet. The only real difference between the two being that online, we can check and edit our comments to make them more succinct.
  8. "Not just above yours, yours is included!"

And yours, smart guy......
  9. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 168

I can't do it. I am about to become extremely sarcastic, acerbic, and downright nasty. So, I'll edit myself in advance -- by not posting what comes to mind...
  10. Lurker101

Just give in to the temptation to express your true opinion and bathe in the catharsis of it all. It will make you a much better person.
  11. davislane1

davislane1 TS Guru Posts: 1,313   +480

Let me be the first to say: @#$% all of you!

That is all.
    St1ckM4n likes this.

12. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

The sad part is there is no true emotional context when dealing with social media. There is no facial expressions to add meaning to the words on the screen. There is no "talking with your hands" or body positioning or micro expressions. Its all just words on a screen. As such ppl feel that they can get away with saying whatever they want.
    We go online with an assumed identity so we can protect ourselves from identity theft but also to sheild ourselves from any emotional backlash. If someone is giving you crap online, you chage your screen name and move on.
    I guess when your sitting in the comfort of where ever it is you hop online, we feel safe and secure. We can be "naughty" or "rude" or "horny" or what ever we wish online. That very freedom from identity allows us to reinvent ourselves. We create a new persona that may or may not be close or similar to who we think we are. We sit in saftey knowing that no matter what we say or do online we are "protected" by our aninimity. Now put two ppl face to face and a different social interaction takes place. Someone can SEE us being rude. Someone can HEAR what we are saying. Someone can go tattle on us and "get us in trouble". There is the major difference. Online, you can complain but you never get any where. In real life, you ARE held accountable for everything you do.
    LNCPapa likes this.
  13. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 345   +56

I speak online the same way I do in real life, I have upset some people in both but I see no reason to bite my tongue when someone does something stupid.
    Lurker101 likes this.
  14. cliffordcooley

You didn't read the comments or you would have already known I was included.
  15. No surprise, because we don't face other people directly when using social media thus make us more brave when communicating (via social media)
  16. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,818   +543

Hey, smart one, got your skull shrinking the brain?
  17. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 399   +35

This used to be called TTGS... telephone tough guy syndrome. Now its ITGS. Anyone who converses without others physically near-by are not in immediate danger, so they feel safe to say exactly how the feel.
  18. "You didn't read the comments or you would have already known I was included."

I was being annoying on purpose :)
  19. cliffordcooley

Which makes you the primary cause for this topic.
  20. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 810   +91

I'll take all of you on. I'm an internet tough guy. Don't approach me in person. I'll run >_>
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  21. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +47

I'm only less polite to the people who don't know where I live.
  22. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 427   +19

All those guys think they are out of reach and can say anything they want. False sense of power that they can never have in the real world.
  23. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,309   +265

This is partly why Google is trying to force users to post on youtube as themselves... to reduce a tiny bit of that anonymity and make at least a few take responsibility for the things they say.
  24. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

Haha, I'm sort of the opposite. If I spoke to people on this forum like I speak to my friends, I would have been banned a long time ago :p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.