Survey finds people are less polite on social media than in person

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Here’s a statement that’s likely to surprise nobody: people are less polite online than they are in person. The revelation comes as part of a recent survey from VitalSmarts which found that 88 percent of respondents agreed with the aforementioned statement while 75 percent say they have seen “good manners” go down the toilet on social media in recent years.

These poor manners often lead to arguments or fights which go unresolved. More than four out of five people said such conversations were never resolved which ultimately led to one in five people having reduced in-person contact with a friend or family member. Some 40 percent of people have blocked, unsubscribed or even unfriended someone over an online dispute. Unsurprisingly, younger people are four times more likely than older adults to have an emotionally-charged conversation on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and even LinkedIn.

surprise people rude social media

VitalSmarts co-chairman Joseph Grenny said social media platforms allow people to connect with others and strengthen relationships in a way that wasn’t possible before. But at the same time, these platforms are also the default forums for holding high-stakes conversations where people blast each other with polarizing opinions. Those engaged in heated conversations typically have little regard for anyone else that might be reading.

The co-chairman went on to say that social media platforms aren’t the problem; it’s how people are using them that is causing issues and helping to destroy peoples’ most meaningful personal relationships.

Permalink to story.

Yet another brilliant piece of investigative journalism brought to you by VitalSmarts, a subsidiary of The Ministry Of Bleedin' Obvious.

And the comments above me just prove the subject of this article. Well done, boys.
I take exception to that comment. I think you'll find that I, and perhaps a great many other Techspot posters, are just as sarcastic and caustic in real life as we are on the internet. The only real difference between the two being that online, we can check and edit our comments to make them more succinct.

"Not just above yours, yours is included!"

And yours, smart guy......

I can't do it. I am about to become extremely sarcastic, acerbic, and downright nasty. So, I'll edit myself in advance -- by not posting what comes to mind...

I can't do it. I am about to become extremely sarcastic, acerbic, and downright nasty. So, I'll edit myself in advance -- by not posting what comes to mind...
Just give in to the temptation to express your true opinion and bathe in the catharsis of it all. It will make you a much better person.

The sad part is there is no true emotional context when dealing with social media. There is no facial expressions to add meaning to the words on the screen. There is no "talking with your hands" or body positioning or micro expressions. Its all just words on a screen. As such ppl feel that they can get away with saying whatever they want.
We go online with an assumed identity so we can protect ourselves from identity theft but also to sheild ourselves from any emotional backlash. If someone is giving you crap online, you chage your screen name and move on.
I guess when your sitting in the comfort of where ever it is you hop online, we feel safe and secure. We can be "naughty" or "rude" or "horny" or what ever we wish online. That very freedom from identity allows us to reinvent ourselves. We create a new persona that may or may not be close or similar to who we think we are. We sit in saftey knowing that no matter what we say or do online we are "protected" by our aninimity. Now put two ppl face to face and a different social interaction takes place. Someone can SEE us being rude. Someone can HEAR what we are saying. Someone can go tattle on us and "get us in trouble". There is the major difference. Online, you can complain but you never get any where. In real life, you ARE held accountable for everything you do.

No surprise, because we don't face other people directly when using social media thus make us more brave when communicating (via social media)

This used to be called TTGS... telephone tough guy syndrome. Now its ITGS. Anyone who converses without others physically near-by are not in immediate danger, so they feel safe to say exactly how the feel.

"You didn't read the comments or you would have already known I was included."

I was being annoying on purpose :)

All those guys think they are out of reach and can say anything they want. False sense of power that they can never have in the real world.

The sad part is there is no true emotional context when dealing with social media. There is no facial expressions to add meaning to the words on the screen. There is no "talking with your hands" or body positioning or micro expressions. Its all just words on a screen. As such ppl feel that they can get away with saying whatever they want.
We go online with an assumed identity so we can protect ourselves from identity theft but also to sheild ourselves from any emotional backlash. If someone is giving you crap online, you chage your screen name and move on.
I guess when your sitting in the comfort of where ever it is you hop online, we feel safe and secure. We can be "naughty" or "rude" or "horny" or what ever we wish online. That very freedom from identity allows us to reinvent ourselves. We create a new persona that may or may not be close or similar to who we think we are. We sit in saftey knowing that no matter what we say or do online we are "protected" by our aninimity. Now put two ppl face to face and a different social interaction takes place. Someone can SEE us being rude. Someone can HEAR what we are saying. Someone can go tattle on us and "get us in trouble". There is the major difference. Online, you can complain but you never get any where. In real life, you ARE held accountable for everything you do.

This is partly why Google is trying to force users to post on youtube as themselves... to reduce a tiny bit of that anonymity and make at least a few take responsibility for the things they say.

Haha, I'm sort of the opposite. If I spoke to people on this forum like I speak to my friends, I would have been banned a long time ago :p

Back