Survey shows first ever decline in Internet usage, but there's a catch

By Shawn Knight
Oct 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new study from Forrester reveals that people are spending less time using the Internet than they have in the past couple of years. In a survey of 58,000 US adults, respondents claimed to spend approximately 19.6 hours using the...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,107   +1,376

So, Internet is retiring? - so am I.

Next article!...
  3. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Booster Posts: 134   +42

Speaking for myself, I'm conciously on internet about 10h/day.
    However I'm online about 24h/day (what with smartphone checking mails during the night, using google maps to navigate when in car, ...)
  4. VitalyT

I'm almost 60 hours a day in the internet :)

My iPhone is 24/7, my iPad is 24/7, plus my desktop is about 12 hours every day, that's 60 hours :)
    (P.S. It's on my business account, so I don't care about the cost)

Just two years ago this would have seemed unthinkable to me, but today it is normal.

P.S. Did somebody hack the statistics database? :)
  5. VitalyT

6. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,282   +49

People surprisingly use apps more than anything, and some apps don't use the Internet access all the time. That's why major cell phone providers have lowered the package rates for unlimited data access: more availability of Internet speed, less usage. It's a good deal overall. These cell phone companies must be wanting people to spend a lot of data.
  7. davimous

davimous TS Rookie Posts: 55   +9

Anyone else notice that every category is down in 2012? I somehow doubt people are exercising more. Statisticlly speaking this study failed.
  8. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,551   +332

My pc is online 24/7, 365. I'm on it from about 4am till 7 or 8 pm with numerous breaks in between.
    I'm not addicted to the net, I'm just a news junkie.:) & no, I didn't read the full original article,yet.:)
  9. Dawn1113

Dawn1113 TS Booster Posts: 322   +64

I don't use the internet as often as my friends do. I'm guessing I'm online three to four hours a day.

My job does not require me to be online all the time. I use the internet for research and sundry communications, yes, but that is mostly it. At home, I actually disconnect my gaming rig when I'm not in a multiplayer mood. I don't have a Facebook account, I don't tweet, and I check my email only when I have to.

I guess I still have one foot in the Stone Age. :D
  10. dawei1993

dawei1993 TS Rookie Posts: 37

wow I hope you exercise in your other free times... Take care of your eyes buddy!
  11. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,551   +332

I assure you I get plenty of exercise & my eye site is fine, thanks.:)