Inactive Suspected nasty virus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I'd like to sorry for the long post...but I'm desperate for help. I want to try and give a clear idea of the problems I'm having with my PC.

Anyway.

A few months back, I downloaded AVG. A few days later, for some reason, I got the blue screen of death.However, I managed to do a system recovery. Then yesterday, I tried to use AVG but it wouldn't work. I now know this was due to not uninstalling AVG.

Yesterday after realising AVG was broken from the system recovery I did a few months prior, I was desperate for a antivirus software. I searched the NET and found myself on a antivirus software review site. Rated number one on the review site was Avast, so I download the software.

The download came in a bundle, a social network plugging, tool bar, PC optimizer and a couple more items. I never thought anymore of it as I have downloaded programs in bundles before with no obvious side affects.

Shortly after installing the bundle, I noticed my PC was slow especially when I visited an IM site were they play music in the room. The sound was breaking bad. I said in the room that my PC was running slow. I told the room that I had downloaded Avast. A few replied and said the software conflicts. They advised me to uninstall Avast using windows control panel add /remove tool.

This is when things got bad.

I went to windows, add remove feature with the intention of removing all the Avast bundle and the old AVG program that was no longer functioning. I deleted a few programs. Then one of the programs I was removing made my PC freeze.

As soon as I rebooted I notice the Icons on my desktop had no pics/logos. Then I went to start button and scrolled over all programme's and nothing appeared. I also noticed there was no, my computer Icon. So, clicked on control panel, it opened up the window. However, when I clicked on add/remove progs a dialogue box popped up saying...windows cannot open the file, you can search the net blah, blah, blah.

That dialogue box was to be a commen feature as I tried to fix these issue's. Every item of my desktop, control panel and download I try to open.... brings up this dialogue box. The good thing about it though is, by clicking search the net, gives me access to the web otherwise I wouldn't be typing this here for help now as when I click chrome, FF, I.E on my desktop, it brings up the dialogue box without opening the program.

At first I couldn't even us CMD as there is no run option now. I could get the prompt up by going in safe mode with command prompt but that was malfunctioning as even typing in ipconfig....nothing happened.

I found a way through that by task manager and now I have a functioning command prompt. The problem is though even when I put in a prompt to do a system restore, the page comes up blank.

I've been trying to fix this now since this time yesterday.

Please help for the sake of my sanity :/

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running any tools, fixes or applying any changes to your computer other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

====================================

What Windows version is it?

Let's see, if we can look at your computer booting from an external source.

Please download OTLPE (filesize 120,9 MB)

• When downloaded double click on OTLPENet.exe and make sure there is a blank CD in your CD drive. This will automatically create a bootable CD.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Depending on your type of internet connection, you should be able to get online as well so you can access this topic more easily.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked Do you wish to load the remote registry, select Yes
  • When asked Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning, select Yes
  • Ensure the box Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back