Synchronizing clock on computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryiam

it seems every time i try to synchronize my computer clock it says error can't synchronize with time server. any suggestions??

the control is in Control panel-> Date & Time->Internet Time
I have three services:
  1. time.windows.com
  2. time.nist.gov
  3. time-a.nist.gov

change the name and then click Update Now. It takes a few seconds and you should
see the date+time of sync -- or -- the error.

choose another name, resync until one works for you :)

uh no! it has done it for quit a while. was just wondering if there was a fix for it. besides another member helped me with the problem and my computer is infection free!! so any suggestions? i will listen to you now blind dragon! :D no hard feeling!

No, did the user that helped you have you run combofix, as it changes your clock settings and doesn't set back until you uninstall it properly

There is a simpler solution. You need to add a different clock synchronization source as jobeard already mentioned. Click here for a list. Just copy a computer name in the left column and paste it into the box.

Make sure you look at the right column and choose a source that is not very busy. I just did this a couple of weeks ago and finally I could synchronize my PC's clock.

Ok, I'll use jobeard's sites. I may need to tweak this a bit but lets see

copy (Ctrl +C) and paste (Ctrl +V) the text in the code box below to Notepad.

Code:
@echo off
net stop w32time
w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,time.nist.gov,time-a.nist.gov
w32tm /config /update
net start w32time
delete synctime.cmd and exit

Save it to your desktop as File name: synctime.cmd
Save as type: All Files

Once done, double click synctime.cmd to run it. A command window will open briefly, then close. This is quite normal.

Gotta be something to do with either your software firewall or router firewall.

I would first try disabling your software firewall and try to sync, if it works you know you need to add it to the trusted sites or tone down the settings.

You could also access your routers firewall and adjust these settings.

Network Time Protocol (NTP) uses UDP port 123. you need to open port 123 i/o udp src/dst any

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back