TechSpot

Synology Disk Station DS410j NAS Review

By Julio Franco
Feb 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. There are a number of legitimate reasons why NAS devices are becoming so popular in work environments, but because of the costly setup investment, they have remained more of a luxury than a necessity for home users. Then late last year Synology seemingly answered our cries with a pair of "budget-friendly" NAS solutions.

Read the full review at:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/237-synology-disk-station-ds410j/

Please leave your feedback here.
  2. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,075   +76

If I saw this in a drug store, my first thought would be that it was a humidifier. Currently I have an Acer Aspire UA230N home server to fill my storage needs which is only slightly more expensive than this NAS. So far I'm very happy with it.
  3. I recently purchased the DS410j and populated with 4 x wd 2TB drives. Volume formating took over 24 hours and a simple "Properties" command to check folder size has been running at a very slow speed taking over 10 minutes to capture the roughly 76,500 files in 60GBs to simply report.

This system is at latest firmware rev 2.3

Not a speed demon!
  4. Hmm so if your graph is correct,

You found that a DS409 with 4 drives in raid 0 was faster than a DS410j with one drive.

Very good testing methodology there....

If you are looking for speed go and Buy a SAN to setup via iscsi.

This is a budget device with a high capacity (or high redundancy)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.