System beeps at me when installing video card

jamesdw1971

Hi i own a lenovo 8811-v4k with windows vista 64
Operating System: Windows (TM) Vista Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2
Report Date: Friday 23 September 2011at 07:15

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>
> Platform : Intel Averill Fundamental
> Mainboard : LENOVO LENOVO
> Chipset : Intel Q963
> Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2666MHz
> Physical Memory : 4096MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
> Video Card : Radeon X1300/X1550 Series
> Hard Disk : HDS728080PLA380 40Y9028LEN ATA Device (80GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1
> DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI DVD D DH16D1S
> Monitor Type : DCL7A - 17 inches
> Network Card : Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
> Operating System : Windows (TM) Vista Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2 (64-bit)
> DirectX : Version 11.00
> Windows Performance Index : 3.4 on 5.9..

problem i am having is when i try to install my other video card that is a ati radeon 1600 pro pci-e 512 mb, my system beeps a code at me. it is 4 beeps then 2 beeps then 3 beeps and 3 beeps so 4233. i cant fin any info at all on this so can anyone out there figure this out thank you soooo much

That is a motherboard/BIOS beep code error that tells us where the issue lies. What BIOS does your system run?

Also, if you have onboard video disable it first in the BIOS and then install your card.

bios you asked for

Manufacturer : LENOVO
Bios Type: Phoenix
Version : 2JKT37AUS
Bios ID: 2jkt37aus-none
Boot Block Revision Level: 2j36a
Chipset Intel 2990-Rev 2
Date : 07/12/2007 (mm/dd/yyyy)
Address : 1024KB
SMBios Version : Unspecified
DMI Version : 2.4

Characteristics :
Flashable : Yes
Socketed : No

Functionality :
APM : No
ACPI : Yes
ESCD : Yes
PnP : Yes
PCI : Yes
ISA : No
AGP : No
USB : Yes
PCMCIA : No
Smart Battery : Yes

Boot Information :
Selectable Boot : No
CD-ROM Boot : Yes
PC Card (PCMCIA) Boot : No
I20 Boot : No
LS-120 Boot : Yes
1394 Boot : No
ATAPI ZIP Boot : No
Network Boot : No

I hope that this helps you. The only other thing that I could add is my power supply is 310 watts. not sure if that helps also. When i read up on the card I would see min of 300 watts up to 500 watts. Alot of useless info in this world when it came to this card. thank you for any help and good luck in trying to figure this out.

turn offf onboard graphics

I have them turned off too by the way, the card that I was trying to replace was also a ati radeon 1300 pci-e 256 mb by the way.

system bios for onboard video

the onboard video is disabled and the pci is the only option on. So what now have any ideas, also my system drivers are fully updated from ati due to windows vista 64 i have to download the beta drivers for the ati radeon video card. My system bios are also fully updated from lenovo. So thats why i cant figure this out beside the power supply as i stated. thank you anyone for any help...

Do you or a friend have a digital multimeter? I can show you how to test the power supply through some easily understandable links.

I have a Sears Craftsman that I picked up for $22 at my local K-Mart and it is a great investment. Radio Shack also has some very nice ones that don't cost much as well. However, since you may not need one ever again see if you have a friend or an associate who can lend you one or who can test it for you.

multimeter

I have a fluke multimeter, what I am asking is my 310 watt power supply in my p.c. is it strong enough to power up that card? As I have said before I have seen it needing a 300 watt power supply to a 500 watt power supply. And if a power supply isnt strong enough will it not allow your p.c to start up?

Is there a way to tell if the video card is bad? I am just wondering thank you

Here is a simple but often very effective way to test your card: Find another system and temporarily install it into another system and see how it runs. Make sure you completely uninstall all the video card drivers that came with the system you are using.

Do you have a friend or an associate with a system that would allow you to try this step in their system? Again, it is only temporary.

Back