System Mechanic, yes or no?

learninmypc

A friend has informed me he has installed it on his Win XP Pro. I told him I'd heard nothing good about it because I'd seen this thread
So I'd like to know if its good or bad? Yes, I know that is an old thread, but.... TIA
BTW, I did a google search on it & my WOT showed all green.

I'd say no, but thats just me.

To be honest, I associate System Mechanic with bloat-ware installed on prebuilt machines.

Thank you. I've sent this link to the individual & he told me he'd think it over.
I just hope his PC'(s) aren't seriously infected yet.

System mechanic is trash. Dont install that stuff. Also, WOT says a lot of sites are safe since it is crowd-powered. Some people dont know if it is good but still mark it as green.

System mechanic is trash. Dont install that stuff. Also, WOT says a lot of sites are safe since it is crowd-powered. Some people dont know if it is good but still mark it as green.
I though that WOT just informed you that the site wasn't infected....:confused: Sort of like Macafee "Site Advisor". No?

I'd say no, but thats just me.

To be honest, I associate System Mechanic with bloat-ware installed on prebuilt machines.
Exactly! The crap that they can't give away on its own recognizance, they try and threaten you it's going to expire when it's a trial, and extort money from you that way.

Basically, your PC will be in tip top shape if you: Run CCleaner regularly. Defrag your HDD, (especially in XP). Keep a bunch of start up garbage under control. When you get into heavy memory & CPU usage situations, then tame unneeded process when you feel the need for speed.

I mean really, do you need the process, "spoolsv.exe" running, when the system doesn't even have a printer attached.?

The only Iolo program I ever owned is "Drive Scrubber". Which was $29.95 with a $29.95 MIR, bought at the old CompUSA. I got the money back, BTW.

Still in all, "Darik's Boot and Nuke" is the same damned thing, and it's free from the jump.

So, depending on what you need done, there's freeware available to do the job. Need to check out your HDD? Just go to the maker's website and get their free suite of utilities.

Want to control start up programs. Hell, that and the host file control ("immunize") are the best features of SpyBotS&D, and that's free too.

I think it does both according to the site. It protects against scams and rogue websites while also providing reliability ratings (from regular people).

I'm just confused about "site advisor" being ok since its put out by McAfee. I've seen alot of threads telling the poster to remove it or UN tick it in a download. If its that good, can someone give me a good link for it?

I'm just confused about "site advisor" being ok since its put out by McAfee. I've seen alot of threads telling the poster to remove it or UN tick it in a download. If its that good, can someone give me a good link for it?
I had it on one of my machines. All it does is give you a green, yellow, (I think), red, or grey, ("I don't know about that site), tick next to the search engine's results, on a site by site basis.

AFAIK, (or remember), it doesn't have much advertising in it, (or at least it didn't), Just a little sales pitch when you asked for detailed results on a particular site.

It is popular and fashionable to hate Macafee, so draw your own conclusions about that.

AVG, has what they call "Safe Search", which is the same damned thing. Hence I haven't had the need of Site Advisor for quite a while.

I had it on one of my machines. All it does is give you a green, yellow, (I think), red, or grey, ("I don't know about that site), tick next to the search engine's results, on a site by site basis.

AFAIK, (or remember), it doesn't have much advertising in it, (or at least it didn't), Just a little sales pitch when you asked for detailed results on a particular site.

It is popular and fashionable to hate Macafee, so draw your own conclusions about that.

AVG, has what they call "Safe Search", which is the same damned thing. Hence I haven't had the need of Site Advisor for quite a while.
I have WOT on all my browsers(Firefox,Opera & Google Chrome) but not SeaMonkey. I guess I'll live with out it, thanks.

The people that built my first computer,from parts they bought, from different thrift stores. Told me that McAfee was crap. I don't know maybe they were wrong, or maybe it's better now than it used to be.

Yes, it's great. I bought the disk, downloaded, used it right away. It has tons of features for settings on your PC and does about everything you need to stay clean and running fast. Easy to use and always gives the option to pick and choose what you want done instead of "fix all" at one time. It explains what and why which I need because I don't know much about computers. I say "yah!" to iolo System Shield. And it's also my security program.

I have owned multiple desktop PCs (for the family) for many many years, DOS, Windows 3.1, etc, etc etc... It's a hassle to find a consistent antivirus program that doesn't hog memory/performance. I have been a System Mechanic Pro user for several years. On occasion, I get frustrated with some of its "new" features not performing to my expectations. But, as mentioned earlier, I get a yearly renewal for "all the PCs in my house" for $20 (usually offered toward the end of my membership). Not a bad deal. I usually will disable any new feature that doesn't perform the way I like. Usually after a month or so, they have updates that considerably improve that particular feature. Considering how many features it has, it's not a surprise that some won't be to an individuals needs/likes.

I give System Mechanic Pro a 4.3 out of 5
And let me just say, I have used several "free" programs, and also tried Norton and the like. Never would I give them anything higher than a 3 (overall).

It's excellent that you can get a fully functioning 30 day free trial of this software. Often utility software flags up a zillion errors and says you must pay to have them fixed. System Mechanic didn't fix the problem I was chasing a solution to. Still, neither did anything else in that line and I uninstalled the software a day later. There are plenty of free alternatives for tidying things up.

I say NO, don't go there. If nothing else, useless and unnecessary. (System Mechanic)

Back