System won't completely boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP Pavillion 522n (bought 8/02) that doesn't seem to want to completely turn on. When I turn power on I can hear things whirling away but the monitor's power light switches from green to orange and it seems that the computer stops trying to boot. The monitor remains blank. If I turn off the computer, wait, and then turn it back on (I usually have to repeat this at least 6 times) the computer eventually completes booting. When we first bought the computer the monitor won't turn on and we were told that the RAM was improperly installed. I reinstalled the RAM which solved that problem. Once we were able to turn on the computer we ran into a problem with a bad harddrive. The harddrive was replaced (10/02) and the the problems seemed to have gone away. I've tried reinstalling the RAM and even moving it to the second slot, this hasn't helped. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Looks like one of your cards (most likely graphics card) is not slotted in properly.
Switch off all power, remove the powercable, openPC and re-seat all your cards and memory sticks (start filling memory sticks from dimm-slot 1 onwards).
Also check on all HD, floppy and CD-cables, incl. their power-cables.
Check that your monitor-cable is properly seated on both ends.

If you still have no luck, your power-supply may be faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back