T-Mobile offers no-contract unlimited voice, text and data for $70

Jos

Staff

T-Mobile is looking to become the nation's "uncarrier" by making a series of moves aimed at easing the usual pains customers experience with rival wireless providers -- things such as high costs, complexity of contracts and congested networks. Last month the company announced it would kill smartphone subsidies and switch to "value plans" where the phone price is detached from the plan price. Now, they're continuing their push into the value segment by offering its unlimited everything plan without a contract.

Starting today, T-Mobile customers will have access to a $70 plan with no contract that includes unlimited voice calling, messaging and data with no caps or overages. The plan has been available since summer for customers with monthly plans but now there's no need for a long term commitment anymore.

t-mobile

Right now, Sprint is the only other carrier to still offer an unlimited voice, data, and messaging plan, but it's priced at $109.99 per month with a two-year contract. That said, a similar no-contract, unlimited everything plan for $70-a-month called Sprint As You Go will launch later this month.

During his CES presentation T-Mobile CEO John Legere also announced that their HD Voice technology is now up and running on their nationwide network, and said their LTE network is coming within a few weeks, with plans to cover 100 million people with LTE by mid-year and over 200 million by the end of the year.

Lastly, T-Mobile introduced its 4G Connect plan for laptops and tablets with built-in broadband chips from Qualcomm, including the HP Pavilion dm1, Dell Inspiron 14z and Windows RT devices. Under the plan users can get up to 200MB of free data with no contract or committment and purchase additional data at $10 per GB.

Image source: NY Times Bits Blog

Permalink to story.

The problem is the different wireless standards, and device availability really makes it hard for customers to switch. and wireless providers know this, which is why they're able to get away with gouging so much money every month out of you. if they were to tell me that I can use my same iphone I have now and take it to T-mobile, and get the $70/month no contract deal, I am sure a million others like me will do it too.

Still too pricey for my blood. When it gets down to the $35-40 a month range I'll consider switching to a smart phone.

If you have an AT&T iPhone, T-mobile will get it activated for you.

The problem is the different wireless standards, and device availability really makes it hard for customers to switch. and wireless providers know this, which is why they're able to get away with gouging so much money every month out of you. if they were to tell me that I can use my same iphone I have now and take it to T-mobile, and get the $70/month no contract deal, I am sure a million others like me will do it too.

yes but the caveat I was talking about is for example, at least right now, T-mobile still won't run on full 3g speed until they get their network updated. you'll be running on the slow 2g edge speed if you were to call them up and switch to T-mobile. and on top of that, the biggest hiccup, is that you need an unlocked iphone to switch. and you can't have it unlocked until your 2 year contract is up. there are many shady IMEI unlock services out there that'll do it for you for $150 a pop, but most are shady at best. there really isn't an easy way, like I said, if it was easy, we wouldn't be paying so much for celluar bills right now, because wireless carrrier would be busy worrying about keeping their customers. the fact is they have you locked in tight.

yes but the caveat I was talking about is for example, at least right now, T-mobile still won't run on full 3g speed until they get their network updated. you'll be running on the slow 2g edge speed if you were to call them up and switch to T-mobile. and on top of that, the biggest hiccup, is that you need an unlocked iphone to switch. and you can't have it unlocked until your 2 year contract is up. there are many shady IMEI unlock services out there that'll do it for you for $150 a pop, but most are shady at best. there really isn't an easy way, like I said, if it was easy, we wouldn't be paying so much for celluar bills right now, because wireless carrrier would be busy worrying about keeping their customers. the fact is they have you locked in tight.

Actually those shady IMEI places charge like 15 bucks. I've used one a few times and it worked with no problem. I'm not disputing their shadiness, but they are rather cheap.

Uhm no thanks I'll stick with AT&T and unlimited Data plan with 4G LTE speeds of 36Mbs down 16 up excellent signal in Nashville TN for $100 a month on my massive Galaxy Note 2.

A contract allows a company to have a somewhat guaranteed revenue coming in. Non-contract plans allow the user to leave at any time and move to another service. It's all about cashflow

It's a bit antiquated to push unlimited voice and text with an unlimited data package. Most people who are interested in unlimited data probably use whatsup or facebook instead of SMS, and Skype or an equivalent can be used instead of standard cell calls. Other than that it's good to see more non contract options becoming available. In the UK I'll stick with my 250mins, unlimited sms and unlimited data for £12($19) a month. Maybe not the fastest provider but fast enough for HD Youtube streaming and most normal smartphone usage.

A contract allows a company to have a somewhat guaranteed revenue coming in. Non-contract plans allow the user to leave at any time and move to another service. It's all about cashflow

I guess the next thing you're going to tell us is that Earth is rounded

It's a bit antiquated to push unlimited voice and text with an unlimited data package. Most people who are interested in unlimited data probably use whatsup or facebook instead of SMS, and Skype or an equivalent can be used instead of standard cell calls. Other than that it's good to see more non contract options becoming available. In the UK I'll stick with my 250mins, unlimited sms and unlimited data for £12($19) a month. Maybe not the fastest provider but fast enough for HD Youtube streaming and most normal smartphone usage.

I agree... my wife and I our last month's combined family bill for both of our cells are 78 minutes cell time. and we have some 7000 roll over minutes that we'll never get to use. what I really want is an unlimited data, unlimited text and 150minutes of cell. I am paying $60 on something that I don't even use, and there no way to opt out.

I thought T-Mobile was having money problems. If that's still true, you're way better off with a no contract deal.

I'm thinking if you have a contract, it might get declared a T-Mobile, "asset", at any bankruptcy proceedings.

I'm going to get LED floods for my downstairs, as soon as I can buy them for the same price as the incandescent reflector floods they're going to replace.

I'm going to get FIOS, when Verizon replaces my 1 meg., 18 dollar a month DSL with it.

And by the way, it's almost silly to talk about "comparative values", when the money isn't worth squat in the first place.

The more you spend, the more you save, and the more money they print for you to spend, the less it's worth.

If, after paying their phone bill, anybody who has enough "disposable income" left for a tube of "Preparation H", should consider themselves a very lucky consumer indeed!

And so endeth the lesson on, "Crankonomics in America".

Back