Taking ownership of a folder that is protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

naike

Hey, I had a folder with important stuff inside, and then i formatted my hdd.
Now I cant access any of those files, and when i do the trick to go properties - security - advanced - owner etc.. i still cant access.
Whats wrong?

Hey, I had a folder with important stuff inside, and then i formatted my hdd.
Now I cant access any of those files
That's right (you can't) because you formatted !
Am I missing something here :confused:

I'm sorry I don't understand the original question
You will need to start again

Describe the problem and your Windows version
Describe exactly what you have done

Please note, so far nothing makes sense to what you have stated

Change the Security of the individual file as well (not just the folder)

Actually I think you can tick the box that says subfolders and files (or what ever it says) which will update all the files in the folder as well

Doesnt work its just green all the time, and i cancel the protection because access is denied.

Yeah im using Windows XP pro SP2 (still hearing that SP3 isnt 100% bug free yet).
I know, ive tried that trick many times, but it still doesnt work.
Let me explain my problem again:
I made a folder that contains important and secret information, i used the windows default feature to encrypt the files. The folder is on the same HDD, but in a different partition.
Now I had to format my C: drive, and install windows again, after that trying to access the encrypted folder on the D: drive, it pops up a message saying that my access is denied.
I tried to go to properties and revert the encryption, but again access denied.
I tried to take ownership of the folder with using the security tab trick, just like in the guide you linked me.

But its still just "Access denied" for me, even though it shows me I'm the owner of the folder.
(I have tried to do the same thing for single files without success.)

I believe the root cause for your problem is: account user names are just symbolic. It is just a nice human name to represent something called a Security Descriptor which defines/controls your access.

When you created your files on other partitiion they were given the account name (and underlying security descriptor) defined in Windows. When you reinstalled you now have the same account name but a new security descriptor was generated which no longer matches the one for files/folders on old partition. And those are what's really used for permissions.

When you followed taking ownership directions
1. Did you make sure simple file sharing turned off? in Explorer, click Folder Options, View tab. Scroll to bottom and see that Use simple file sharing is unchecked.

2. If the instructions are failing, which step is failing? what's the exact error message you receive?

I have it disabled, Ill tell you exactly how i do this procedure.

1. Right-click folder, Properties.
2. Go to the Security tab, and click advanced.
3. Go to Owner tab, then click the admin group, and check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.
4. Go inside the folder, and try to open any file inside it.
5. "Access is denied"

I also get the message if i use the same procedure on a single file.

OK... just a dumb basic question to make sure nothing is assumed

Start->Run, lusrmgr.msc (that starts with "L")

Click Users in left panel
Then your login name in right panel. Rt click Properties. Click Member Of tab and what groups do you belong to?

Let me know the result of above (what groups)

I'm gonna guess you probably are in Administrator as assumed in which it's the encryption must be working its way into the algorithm of Security Descriptors and the process of taking ownership. I'd have to spend some time trying to look into it.... Tho maybe someone else might know what works in this situation.

Otherwise, will keep an eye on the thread and be back to you when i can give u an update.

Administrators and Debugger Users, I'm not that stupid to try taking ownership of anything without being admin. :p
I'm looking forward for your reply.

lol :)

I really should put some time on this too

I'll have to re-read and get back to you
Obviously it's some simple service disabled in services.msc or Group policy setting in gpedit.msc, or a registry issuue in regedit

In the mean time
Can you just confirm all Windows files are intact by doing this
Start-> run -> sfc /scannow (or is it on the command prompt??) Anyway you'll know

You should also uninstall any live protecting programs like personal firewall or Spybots (which can stop certain registry changes if set incorrectly)
But I prefer un-install fully to be certain

Until then... :wave:

is never a matter stupid vs. we all make dumb mistakes (me certainly included)

Since (i think ur still online) can give an update

Did you make any backup of the system before you reinstalled? Apparently Windows creates encryption keys they advise are backed up and are needed to un-encrypt those files (which is why access is still being denied)

Not sure if possible to work around that maybe. slight maybe... only a chance (don't know). might be lucky if you have the same physical installation CD as used last time

I have a installation dvd.

This is the result of the cmd you gave me.
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sfc /scannow
Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.
].
I'll try to unload my fsecure, and then dc from the internet and uninstall the whole **** and try today, ill keep you updated.

I really appreciate your effort in helping me.

Edit: Didnt work to unload fsecure.
But now i remember that windows update made hidden folder on my G drive, that i then tried to delete but Acces is denied popped up, I did the same trick and I took ownership of the folders so I highly doubt its the virus protection.

NO, please hold off on that task!

/**** EDIT ************/
You say you have an installation DVD. Did it come pre-installed? i,e, you didn't use that DVD install disk before?

Did you ever do a full backup of hte old installation?

No this is a pirate copy of a windows xp sp2, which is created with some program, dunno the name but it basically includes programs that i can just check during the installation (and installs them, and no I never backed up anything, except some pictures and music.
Should I enable RPC and try again?

(I updated my previous post)

Edit: Its not a OEM (i thitnk its called) that you get with pcs you buy off wallmart or something. e.e. HP, Dell, Acer

There is NO indication that going through all your removal steps can have ANY affect on your problem - only potentially take it longer more difficult to get to your real problem source.: i.e. the XP encryption keys.

Don't disturb the current environment until we figure out issues between encryptions and user attributes needed to remove encryption.

[CENTER]Administrators DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ENCRYPTION simply because they are Admins either[/CENTER]

SUMMARY
This article describes how to decrypt a file that been encrypted by using Encrypting File System (EFS) in Windows XP.

Encryption is converting data into a format that cannot be read by other users. You can use EFS to automatically encrypt your data when it is stored on the hard disk.

Note Only the user who encrypts a file can recover data that has been encrypted, unless the user specifies a recovery agent before they encrypted the files. To make sure that you can decrypt files in the future, you should always export your certificate and private key and keep them in a safe location.

For more information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
241201 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241201/) How to back up the recovery agent Encrypting File System (EFS) private key in Windows Server 2003, in Windows 2000, and in Windows XP

Advanced methods to decrypt a file or a folder
These methods are intended for advanced computer users. If you are not comfortable with advanced methods, you might want to ask someone for help or contact support. For information about how to contact support, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/ (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/)

To remove encryption from a file or a folder, use the appropriate method later in this section.
Method 1: Remove encryption from a file
Only the following people can decrypt an encrypted file:
  • The user who encrypted the file
  • Any user who was designated as a recovery agent before the file was encrypted
  • Any user who has the public key or private key for the recovery agent or the user who originally encrypted the file
  • Any user who has been granted access to the file
Members of the Administrators group cannot decrypt files unless the person who encrypted the files designated them as recovery agents before encrypting the files.

Note You must be the original user who encrypted the file or a designated recovery agent for the file to follow these steps. If you are not authorized to remove encryption, you receive the following error message:

Error Applying Attributes
An error occurred applying attributes to the file:
Path:\Filename
Access is denied

No this is a pirate copy of a windows xp sp2

Hours I spent. Down the drain :(

These copies have certain services disabled, written into the code
ie they cannot be fixed!

LookinAround is advised not to continue supporting this as well

Edit:

Thread to be CLOSED, no more replies of support please

I'm afraid am limited in assisting. (Which has everything to do with TechSpot terms of service.. Not kimsland's advice)

For the what it's worth department, take a bit of time to go through MS support knowledge base searching for things like xp encrypt remove ownership

You;ll find the ONLY fixes that apply are related have to address the XP encryption keys. Should be clear taking the time to read through a few.

Bottom line: Is not 100% clear it would have been possible to figure a workaround for your circumstance anyway. (Even more impossible as you have an illegal copy that needn't play by the rules of XP and behave as we expect).

Sorry. and good luck

Not kimsland's advice)
It is also against TechSpot's TOS to reply with any support replies
Under this situation

The reason is, TechSpot would be closed by MS for providing assistance to fraudulant users of their product

I suppose seeming you said go to MS site,(as per your reply) it would be allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back