How to make My Documents accessible again

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys.....I was having some difficulties booting up Windows XP Home Edition, so I was looking thru the options on the screen. I accidentally pressed to REPAIR Windows, and it started the process. I aborted about 30 seconds later. I never did fix the Win XP issue, instead I hooked
up that hard drive to an enclosure. I installed Win XP on a brand new hard drive on the same notebook computer.
I want to get to my files on my old hard drive, but I can't open all of them, just some. The other files are "not accessible, and access is denied."

Does anyone know if that partial Repair damaged them ?? Does anyone know how to make these files accessible again ??

They are photo and video files. Thank you so very much ! !

P.S. On both hard drives the only user is me, the administrator. I have never had any other users.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/permissions.mspx

Right click the folder you want to open and choose Properties>Security. Make sure their is a group named "Everyone". If not click Add>Advanced>"Find Now" and choose everyone. Click OK and you should no longer get those nasty Access Denied messages. (refer to the above link to allow specifically your user account to access the old Hard Drive folders)

Note: in Windows Xp Home, the "Security" menu will not show. Just start your computer in Safe Mode (continuously press F8 function key on computer Startup then select Safe Mode)
Also confirm that you are running an Administrator privlidged account. (Check Users in Control Panel)

Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!!!!! :)

I did as you said and it worked !!

Thank you, Thank you. :wave:

A new problem.....

Once again I thank you very much for telling me how to get my files back. It is a very time consuming process, but at least they are not permanently lost. :wave:

I have now come across a few files that were created with Notepad / Wordpad. The problem is there is no "Security" tab when I click on "Properties." Therefore I can't do the same steps like I do with the other photo files.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back