Task Manager problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ro'

Task Manager..Idk If this should be here.

Hello how's everyone doing? Im hoping everyones perfect.

So heres the deal, Im using computer like nothings happened, and I press on Ctrl+alt+supr just to check what tasks are running and Bam! Task manager has been disabled by the administrator.
Surprise surprise Im the administrator.
So I was wondering what could have happened and how could I solve it.
Any Ideas/suggestions are well appreciated :) thankz for your time!

[/i]Check user and system policies[/i]
Note that if you have a policy problem, you will usually get an error when you try to open it, such as "The system administrator has disabled Task Manager" or something similar.
1) Make sure you are logged in as a user with administrative privileges. You can see which users are admins by going in Control Panel and clicking the Users icon.
2) Start -> Run regedit
3) Browse to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
4) Click on each subfolder under Policies (it is usually System that has the entry).
5) You will see in the right-hand side, and entry called DisableTaskMgr.
If you see this key (right side), just highlight it and delete the key. Note that if the key's value was "1", that is why you can't open Task Manager.
6) Also check this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
Repeat from above and delete the key DisableTaskMgr.

If for some reason that doesn't work, I found one case where just typing this into the Run box does the trick, here is the command:
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
It basically does the same thing of changing it manually in the registry. But just in case...

You'll have to log off and on for these changes to take effect.
If Task Manager still doesn't work, check the same registry keys you changed above, if they are back to the way they were before, then you have malware setting it this way. And so...
~~~~~
I applied the REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f on run
and my task manager works now but I cant execute regedit!

by the way Idk if it has to do with anything but I just checked my task after doing the run thing and a program is running called "Romeo" but it didnt appear in processes but in Apps....tried to see what was it but there was nothing...and my DVD+-RW/CD-Rw kept opening and closing...anything wierd here?

Romeo might be a bluetooth remote program (but really I don't know without more info)

The CD opening and shutting (program wise?) is a bit vague in your description. ie: what program; when? and all the other common questions you might shed some light on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back