Tech Tip of the Week: Bypass Metro and Boot Directly to Windows 8's Desktop

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/guides/551-bypass-metro/]https://www.techspot.com/guides/551-bypass-metro/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

To be 100% honest if people are doing this then simply stick with XP/Windows 7. I ahve been using windows8 now for a good few months in the beginning I totally slated the tiles and hated them but with use I have grown to love them and find it much faster to operate. The truth of the matter is that people simply dont like change and if thats the case then dont change simple as :D

And also if any of you didn't notice, Windows 8 takes less resources than Windows 7. For example I have 8GB of RAM installed. In Windows 7 x64 between 2-4GB of ram is used. In Windows 8 x64 only 1-2GB of RAM is used. That is really optimized. The boot time is wicked fast also. The only thing keeping me from using Windows 8 is that proper drivers for external sound cards are available but don't give full usability. For example I have the Asus Xonar DG sound card (it comes with headphone amp), I mean sure I found a driver that works, but in order to use the headphone amp, I need to have to Xonar DG Audio Center to enable the amp.

Wouldn't work for me. Even if I skipped executing it through the .bat or just created a shortcut for startup to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and 32-bit version very stable and can be very quick also if you know how to reprogram the OS.

Windows 8 PV 64-bit and 32-bit is very quick also but still buggy. MS needs to fix a lot of issues before I could ever drop all the systems and tablet to use it 100%

Stardock8 is much needed for Windows 8 PV.

Remote desktop icon and app seems to disappears with each update. I think it's 100% better than what comes in Windows 7U64 really fast. But most of what you have in 8 like TCP Initial RTO : 3000 is 3000 in 8 where 7 doesn't even have that feature. To get that feature in 7 you have to download a special Hot Fix which has to be requested through MS otherwise you can't get it. Once you get it just change it from the default 3000 to 1000 on 7 and 8.

Another thing to consider is the latest processor instructions will only be fully utilized in Windows 8 which will give a considerable performance boost,particularly with AMD FX series processors.

Still a tough desicion on whether to upgrade. What's the word on Media Center in Win8? I heard it's not included, but it is easily added later or completely unavailable?

Mike, from what I understand, Media Center is bundled into the cost of the $40 upgrade and you're given the choice to install it.

Ugliest UI Ive ever seen. No way I want my desktop to look like a Windows Phone home screen. Those colors are hideous. Sticking with what works and I'm happy with Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit for a while and just upgrade my hardware like I do every year.

I like change, but not bad change. Neither is my company.
My company has decided not to upgrade to Windows 8 which save hundreds of license.

I totally agree I have been using win8 for awhile now and I find it to be extremely fast for multi tasking....people need to sit down with it for awhile before going nuts.

It's fast but so can Windows 7 be fast. They all suffer from Fragmentation still. Not perfect but Windows 8 more geared for MS Skyxxx aka Cloud. TCP has been beefed up but don't hold your breath it's sill not where it should be. But the version out is still buggy. Windows 9 going to support next gen CPU right now most of us are stuck in either 32-bit or 64-bit. The promise of 128-bit OS for CPU that support it has to be made.

So you have to get rid of something to get rid of something to get to a desktop that lacks a start button. That's... interesting.

When I got Win7 it made me do a little happy dance, which at my age is not something you want to see. But it was fun and exciting and quite a surprise, like sex at age 15. (If your first was younger, I don't wanna hear about it.)

So far I'm not feeling any of that, er, love about Win8. Still inclined to wait and see.

Good lord what did you do to your start screen man. You people are insane. Hilariously stupid people doing this kind of stuff. And Windows 9 will probably deprecate the desktop even further, so I'm not sure what you nutjobs are waiting for in that one. The Win32 business model is dried up, time for you children to get from denial phase to acceptance. Microsoft can't make money off of Win32 in a world where iOS and Android are giving the operating system for free and gaining market share through cheap mobile computers. The only revenue now is through the app store model. The era of $200 operating systems is over now.

How to bypass Metro: Don't buy Windows 8.
Wow. That would have been a very witty post if;
1. I hadn't read the same thing about a million times in every Win8 article on the net, and,
2. You hadn't just paraphrased the post immediately above your own.

Maybe he wasn't trying to be funny. Maybe he was being serious. I think I'll take his advice. It just seems easier than having to add permanent scripts to hack the OS right out of the box. It's funny this information is being posted even before the official release of Windows 8. The article really should have been titled, "How to bypass Windows 8's primary user interface".

I am very interested to see whether or not Windows 8 succeeds or fails.

I think it's high-time TechSpot did a poll to find out how many people intend to upgrade to Windows 8 upon release, how many will take a wait and see approach, and how many are planning on skipping it all together.

I like the article's image. That's probably what my actual screen would look like if I tried using Metro for a couple of hours.

The reasons for upgrading to Windows 8 just aren't very compelling to me. All I keep hearing is that it's faster. What other reasons were there for upgrading again?

Matthew,

I thought you might want to check out the Release Preview (newer than the CP) version of Win8:

http://www.forumswindows8.com/windows-8-download/

...although I don't see why your script wouldn't work.

The $40 deal is too good to pass up. People are sheeple, sometimes. The same ones who hated Vista loved Win7, and Win7 is nothing except Vista 2.x...;) The only difference was they'd had time to try out the OS and get used to the changes and recognize the advantages. Then you also have the whole cadre of clowns who think software is worthless and that it should all be free and that there's no difference between a cell phone and a desktop computer. App Store? No thanks.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

The same ones who hated Vista loved Win7, and Win7 is nothing except Vista 2.x...;) The only difference was they'd had time to try out the OS and get used to the changes and recognize the advantages.
Which is to say, Vista that's been debugged, is more trim and no longer runs like a pig. Geez, as if the improvements weren't significant and the user experience not vastly better. Wouldn't you be happier in Linux, where in some circles looking down one's nose at the simpler folk is a badge of honor?

My comments are stuck on an image link, it seems. At least, that's what I after posting. That last one started with a quote of @waltc and had no image, no code, no smiley. How strange. What I see here is not even close to what I posted. Moderator? Any tips? Settings? Well, let's see if this one gets through..

Is there a way to make the metro Start "menu" not take up the full screen? I can't imagine liking a full screen Start menu, ever. I got about two zillion things going and then all of it obscured by a single "menu" makes me twitch.

Also, how does this metro Start "menu" work with multi-monitors? Will my octamonitron have eight screens of Start "menu"?

Back