Tech Tip of the Week: Windows 7 Jump Lists Fix and Tricks

Julio Franco

Staff member
Depending on the application jump lists can be used to get 1-click functionality without recalling a minimized window, easily access common tasks or to quickly open pinned and recent documents, saving you time not having to go through a number of dialogs. In a nutshell, if you are willing to make the most of them, jump lists are a productivity godsend.

Read the full article at:
https://www.techspot.com/guides/363-windows-jump-lists-fix-and-tricks/

Please leave your feedback here.a

You'll find it is when the file exceeds 1mb. We have this regularly and you just have to delete the one file under %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations and reboot to resolve it (it recreates on reboot from the registry information) and does pull the last 10 again... At least thats what we see for Word 2007....

Danny Russell

Does this jump list "corruption" crap still occur with SP1 RC???

I agree with Benny26, I forget the jump lists are even there.
If your like me and have your windowns taskbar at the top of the screen, you have to left click and drag down, not up to make the jump list appear. ;)

I have been using SevenStacks for the longest time (in XP I use StandaloneStack), and toss them in my Quicklaunch bar (which I added back). Both of them are set up to show as menu items like in a context menu rather than an icon based interface, but they both have their quirks. I'll definitely give Jumplist-Launcher a try though, as it looks like it is a more elegant solution to what I want to do.

Seems to me that moving the files before there is trouble (backup copies) would make sense as well. Seeing that it happens quite often, having a backup could save the day.

I really hate Win7, ever since using the beta. It really irked me that they took out the abilty to highlight just the file names in a folder (like XP) and forced you to highlight a whole line. The Beta at least had a registry fix or something to change it to a more reasonable function, but MS are either morons or just love screwing their users and removed the abilty to fix it in the retail release.

All the changes for change sake (Add/Remove Programs anyone) and the screwy Explorer Tree really pissed me off (5 My Documents and I can't access a folder that has my name?). I expect Win 8 will be no better, or even worse. I will attempt to use XP until Linux becomes main stream even though it will mess with my game purchases, screw IE9, DirectX12 and the rest of MS's crap.

@Appzalien - Wow. I'm old enough to haunt a graveyard and personally about as flexible as a bar of iron, and I never even noticed those things that count as deal-killing fatal flaws to you. Well, to be fair, I haven't used Windows Explorer since I discovered alternatives back in Windows 95 prehistory. But I'm addicted to those jump lists and use them as superior, more flexible alternatives to the bookmarks in my current favorite file manager, a low-cost Windows Explorer alternative named xplorer2. There is very little I don't like about Windows 7 and what I don't like, I can usually work around, using tweaks or one of the gazillions of open source utilities.

Well, I agree XP is the next-best OS to 7 in the Windows universe, or third after recent Debian-based Linux distributions if you aren't limited to Microsoft OSes. But I bet there's some way to tweak the Windows Explorer highlight from full row to filename only. Have you looked for one on the various technogeek sites and forums?

Anyone know how to identify specific Jump Lists. I want to selectively clear the Jump List for MS Word, for example, but leave the others. I know where the lists are but they have cryptic names such as "42aae9eabf02929.automaticDestinations-ms". I typically have 10 or more jump list files; I assume some are leftover.

Hi,
this works temporarily for me,,, but as I restart my pc jumplist is again showed. can u plz guide me further???

Back