TechSpot

Teen electrocuted while salvaging parts from a computer

By Shawn Knight
Oct 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. captaincranky

    captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,816   +922

    Or, for cheap thrills, you can stick a 9 volt battery on the end of your tongue.....:eek:
     
  2. dotVezz

    dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

    Is it strange for a person's heart to beat at a very healthy 60BPM?
     
  3. cliffordcooley

    cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,115   +1,523

    You do realize 60Hz would be 60 beats per second.
     
  4. captaincranky

    captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,816   +922

    See, this is what happens when you abandon the old nomenclature. When you meant " 60 CPS", you said, "
    60 cycles per second". There was none of this "60 Hertz" bull s***!:mad:

    And kilocycles meant CPS counted by thousands. Same deal with megacycles.
     
  5. cliffordcooley

    cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,115   +1,523

    captaincranky, I'm not following. What is it I am abandoning? Hertz was already mentioned, the comparison did not originate from my comment.

    The hertz is equivalent to cycles per second. The heart beat represents a complete cycle, though I'm not sure if it actually has to beat twice to complete a cycle.
     
  6. dotVezz

    dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

    Yeah, that was my (poorly worded) point.
     
  7. captaincranky

    captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,816   +922

    You didn't abandon anything, I was trying , (apparently unsuccessfully), to reinforce your comment.

    I believe the pulse is taken on the "BUH", not the "bump". I should know this, what with having a toy heart valve and all that.
     
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. Sad to hear of this. But to address the lawsuit comment, there are ALWAYS warning stickers, they were obviously ignored here.

    Working with electronics in my life I have learned a few times that I dont like to be shocked. I always push the power button after unplugging the device. Additionally before I go near any high voltage caps I short the leads with a screw driver (even after the button push I still sometimes get sparks)

    Its a shame that this kid didn't get the chance to learn a lesson here like I did so many times. Rest in piece dude.
     
  9. You know it is, danger attracts stupidity
     
  10. Be careful when opening power supplies I have nearly killed my self with one
     
  11. Well, I think he was extremely unlucky.
    I'm a teenager which likes to reassemble/repair computers and I got shocked by mains voltage (in my country (the Czech Republic) the mains voltage is 230V) a few times (like 2 or 3) and I'm still alive).... I also got shocked by a charged capacitor from a computer power supply once. It gave me a really nasty shock and since then I'm extremely careful when I do anything with voltages higher than 50 volts.....
    It's extremely unlikely that a shock from a capacitor charged to mains voltage will kill you. I know several people who got shocked by mains voltage or even by higher voltages and they're still alive. However, if you do something with voltages higher than let's say 50 volts, you should be extremely careful. Most likely it will only shock you, but still please be careful. When I take apart computer power supplies, I always short the capacitors using an insulated wire before I touch anything.
     
     
  12. To those people who say they drain the ramaining power by pushing the power button. This will only drain the low voltage secondary side after the main chopper. It WILL NOT drain the power from the dangerous high voltage caps in the primary mains side of the psu. Please be careful.
     
  13. There exists no other solution than to ban all computer power supplies. Since it was the power supply that killed this person, computers should not be allowed to be sold with such instruments of death.
     
  14. captaincranky

    captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,816   +922

    Nonsense. Power supplies don't kill people, electricity does. Face it, if you took away their power supplies, they'd just find another way to kill themselves. For example, putting one end of an extension cord into the wall, and the other end......
     
    Xyvis likes this.
  15. This article kinda scares me, because I remember I was only 11 when I gutted my first PC and had NO IDEA to avoid the power supply like that even after unplugging it.

    13 years later, I know better, but thankfully I never learned the hard way like this poor fella
     
  16. Yup , also capacitors release their charge in seconds so unless he touched a 2000V capacitor im not sure if he could get electrical burns which means that whatever he touched it had a long powerful flow of 70+ V and some high amps not a simple burst ( though even a burst can kill )
     
  17. cliffordcooley

    cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,115   +1,523

    Personally I don't believe the story being told to us. Something about the burns don't make since. I've been zapped by wall current many times. I've been zapped by small devices that stored several hundred volts. The hardest I have ever been jolted was by an automobile coil. The only time I have ever been burned by electricity was from a high powered CB antenna, pushing well over 1000 Watts of signal. I don't see a power supply reproducing these conditions un-plugged or otherwise, so I am inclined to agree with the guest comment.
     
  18. Sean hinkley

    Sean hinkley TS Rookie

    AlexMX,

    Yes, Capacitors can store electricity for years, and other components can actually charge off static electricity in the air, such as the coils in old CRT monitors.
     
  19. It was probably an all in one computer with a CRT
     
  20. Aww. Sadness both for the father and for the kid. Sounds like the kind of kid the world needs right now, young people not afraid to go in and explore things by themselves. Our schools have failed to create scientifically curious adults. This kid is a hero of mine. He took one wrong risk, but I celebrate that he dared take it.
     
  21. It was probably not an all in one computer with a CRT.
     
  22. jondonnis

    jondonnis TS Rookie

    Yep, they have enough power in them to kill hence hardly anyone ever bothers to open PSUs unless you're an electrician or 100% know what you are doing and the risk. The caps can hold a charge for months.
     
  23. tomkaten

    tomkaten TS Enthusiast Posts: 89   +31

    When I was a a kid, I went up on an apartment building's terrace with a friend, to chill, catch some sun tan and listen to some music. He gave me a power chord end to hold and went inside the house to plug the other one into the wall socket (his apartment was on the top level).

    What I failed to notice was that my end was partially uninsulated. You can all guess the result. I got shocked pretty badly at 220 V. My right hand was stuck to the chord, muscles contracted... It was impossible to drop it. I remember having time to yell at him to remove the plug two or three times, so I must have been "connected" for 10-15 seconds at least.

    All I got from it was a really nasty skin burn (like carbonized skin on my middle finger), so I find this story hard to believe.
     
  24. RIP man...sorry for the family's loss as well..Always sad to hear
     


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.