Tesla buys $1.5 billion worth of Bitcoin, pushes value to new heights

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Tesla's high-profile investment in Bitcoin and planned support of the cryptocurrency to purchase products in the future has already helped to push the popular cryptocurrency to an all-time record value, and it's barely even lunch time.

Tesla in a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday revealed that it has invested $1.5 billion in Bitcoin.

The purchase, which falls under a revised company policy on investing initiated last month, provides the company with “more flexibility to further diversify and maximize returns on our cash that is not required to maintain adequate operating liquidity.”

Tesla additionally said it sees its Bitcoin holdings as highly liquid, and that it may acquire and hold digital assets “from time to time or long-term.”

What’s more, Tesla said it expects to start accepting Bitcoin as a form of payment for its products in the near future. The company hasn’t yet decided if it will liquidate those funds upon receipt.

Tesla in the filing said it had $19.38 billion in cash and cash equivalents as of December 31, 2020, meaning the $1.5 billion Bitcoin investment accounts for around 7.7 percent of the company’s total capital resources.

Musk earlier this month on the Clubhouse chat app said he was a supporter of Bitcoin and that it was on the verge of “getting broad acceptance by conventional finance people.”

The price of a single Bitcoin started the day around $39,000 and spiked just north of $44,000 after the SEC filing was published, a few thousand dollars higher than its previous all-time high of nearly $42,000.

Masthead credit john smith williams

Permalink to story.

This is entertaining. As is the constant memeing about Shiba Inu coin. I'll bet it's even more entertaining for the power whales too. Don't lose focus of your strategy. Don't confuse outcomes with strategy. I didn't miss this boat but still am focused on long term boring index funds.

Cryptocurrency is the ULTIMATE Ponzi Scheme.

Old money is trying to get out while new money is enticed to get in based off the Lamborghinis they saw purchased by the old money.

While Blockchain itself has its uses, scientifically, cryptocurrency's original tenets of being anonymous and untaxed with fast transactions are now undermined by the IMF/Federal Government/ IRS.

People buying into crypto now are speculating on the price rather than using it as a "currency".

The reality is that Cryptocurrency can't be a currency because it is intangible and has no intrinsic value.

Gold, Silver and precious metals are tangible and have INTRINSIC VALUE - as well as a previous past of being currency and money.

Cryptocurrency's only "value" is in how many "USD" "YEN" "YUAN" or other major currency you can buy with it.

All Cryptocurrency is a speculative asset by definition.

A number of ETF outperformed Bitcoin in 2020: Tesla, Pinterest, Square, Nio...

Last edited:
Cryptocurrency is the ULTIMATE Ponzi Scheme.

Old money is trying to get out while new money is enticed to get in based off the Lamborghinis they saw purchased by the old money.

While Blockchain itself has its uses, scientifically, cryptocurrency's original tenets of being anonymous and untaxed with fast transactions are now undermined by the IMF/Federal Government/ IRS.

People buying into crypto now are speculating on the price rather than using it as a "currency".

The reality is that Cryptocurrency can't be a currency because it is intangible and has no intrinsic value.

Gold, Silver and precious metals are tangible and have INTRINSIC VALUE - as well as a previous past of being currency and money.

Cryptocurrency's only "value" is in how many "USD" "YEN" "YUAN" or other major currency you can buy with it.

All Cryptocurrency is a speculative asset by definition.

A number of ETF outperformed Bitcoin in 2020: Tesla, Pinterest, Square, Nio...
Funny, how all these large companies are investing in a so-called ponzi scheme. Do you even know what a ponzi scheme is...?

Fiat like the USD, EUR and YEN also are intangible and have no intrinsic value, in case you didn't know. I guess fiat can't be used as a currency...

The precious metals are also used for speculating on the price. If that doesn't undermine their value, why should it undermine the value of crypto...?

It's funny you mention Tesla outperforming Bitcoin as some bad point for crypto, considering Tesla is now investing in Bitcoin...

I will never get why you go out of your way to trash crypto whenever it is mentioned. We already know you hate crypto. Why not spend your time on something else?

Funny, how all these large companies are investing in a so-called ponzi scheme. Do you even know what a ponzi scheme is...?

Fiat like the USD, EUR and YEN also are intangible and have no intrinsic value, in case you didn't know. I guess fiat can't be used as a currency...

The precious metals are also used for speculating on the price. If that doesn't undermine their value, why should it undermine the value of crypto...?

It's funny you mention Tesla outperforming Bitcoin as some bad point for crypto, considering Tesla is now investing in Bitcoin...

I will never get why you go out of your way to trash crypto whenever it is mentioned. We already know you hate crypto. Why not spend your time on something else?
Have we already forgotten 2008? When those large companies sold things they didn't own to fund buying things that didn't have any value?

Musk is pumping Dodgecoin too...

A joke... that uninformed people started taking serious.

Tulipmania was true and always will be.
Dude, you are always talking about your shares in Apple/tesla??!( which is the ultimate ponzi scheme) Buy land...

Last edited:

Sounds like Peter Shiff. Upset there is something better than GOLD for investing in.

Have we already forgotten 2008? When those large companies sold things they didn't own to fund buying things that didn't have any value?

Oh how people forget so quickly. Delusional people brainwashed by mainstream media to believe elites and govs have your back.

Open your eyes, cryptocurrency is the way out of the matrix people.

Good point. Even Tulips have a use in reality.
You don't have to be a fan of crypto. However, the value we assign to gold or fiat currencies is nothing less artificial than what we do with crypto.
We dig massive holes in the ground to get gold, what we then put into massive buildings that need guarding. It keeps sitting in the vaults. Where is the utility in that? :)

A little food for thought:
https://news.bitcoin.com/bank-of-si...lue-but-unlikely-to-displace-fiat-currencies/

Yes and No to your quote about Fiat currency's, the difference is that behind most country's currency's is something real, people, jobs, taxes etc. And one of the great things about it is that it can be controlled by a central bank to create price stability in economies, Bitcoin is uncontrollable and has become it's own market by right, people like Elon are just using it as a way of making a lot of money very quickly, he will sell out before it crashes while the average working Joe will probably lose half his savings.

You don't have to be a fan of crypto. However, the value we assign to gold or fiat currencies is nothing less artificial than what we do with crypto.
We dig massive holes in the ground to get gold, what we then put into massive buildings that need guarding. It keeps sitting in the vaults. Where is the utility in that? :)

A little food for thought:
https://news.bitcoin.com/bank-of-si...lue-but-unlikely-to-displace-fiat-currencies/

That's not true at all.

GOLD (and any other precious metal) is rare and has tangible, intrinsic value. Crypto is "nothing".

The US Dollar is just paper but it's still tangible and backed by the military industrial complex and insured by the FDIC.

That's not true at all.

GOLD (and any other precious metal) is rare and has tangible, intrinsic value. Crypto is "nothing".

The US Dollar is just paper but it's still tangible and backed by the military industrial complex and insured by the FDIC.
It wasn't me saying that, but Warren Buffet.

Yes and No to your quote about Fiat currency's, the difference is that behind most country's currency's is something real, people, jobs, taxes etc.
It's no different for crypto, really. Do you think all these projects spawn by themselves? There are people and hardware behind every coin. The coins need computers to work, and teams actively work on the coins. They work on improving them, updating them, changing them etc. We even have democracy-like systems with crypto at their center called DAO, to vote on how the project should proceed.

And one of the great things about it is that it can be controlled by a central bank to create price stability in economies,
That doesn't seem to be working that well, honestly. Remember 2008? We're gonna have another one like that, but worse. The current monetary system cannot be saved. It's only a matter of time. Physical metals are a way to help you guard yourself against that. Other assets are land etc. And, then there is crypto, which also falls in that category. Unless the internet is going away, Crypto is not going anywhere.

Bitcoin is uncontrollable and has become it's own market by right, people like Elon are just using it as a way of making a lot of money very quickly, he will sell out before it crashes while the average working Joe will probably lose half his savings.
It is true that crypto has become a market of its own. But that's how markets take over one another. Take the internet. More people read news on the internet or watch TV through the internet compared to previous means of doing the same thing. The internet became its own market, but ultimately made the old one obsolete. Crypto is doing the same thing, except, it's doing it in the financial sector as opposed to the news or entertainment sector.

If the average Joe is patient enough, it is likely that in a couple of years, that half of savings that he lost will at least double, if not go 10x.

I understand your sentiment. If you think other assets are safer, it's perfectly fine to invest in those instead.
I think crypto is not only just as safe (if not safer), it's also a lot easier. And there are a few things that crypto has going for it.

Gold is indeed rare. But, we can always find a new mine, suddenly making it less rare than before. Bitcoin has its rarity programmed into it, and it will never change. This is an advantage for Bitcoin, because, its predictability on its rarity is one of the primary things that makes it valuable.

Gold is indeed tangible. But that is only true as far as you have your physical Gold stored in your house. You can have receipts or a certain amount of Gold in an account somewhere. But that would be no different than having a certain amount of Bitcoin in a wallet on an exchange. The difference is, Bitcoin doesn't need to work with accounts or receipts. You can own it directly, whereas you can still lose your Gold if the intermediary entity goes bankrupt, closes down or simply disappears. And in the case of physical Gold, someone can go in your house and take it from you. If you have it in a vault somewhere, the former point also applies.

Crypto is as much "nothing" as the internet is "nothing". The internet doesn't have any reality to it and is intangible. It does have a real effect on reality, and can be used to our advantage. Crypto is the same thing, but a bit more sophisticated.

The US Dollar is technically not paper. The sum of USD in every account does not have any paper equivalent available anywhere. The vast majority of USD is a number on a computer and nothing more. It used to be backed by Gold, which was later decoupled. Then they had to have 10% reserve, which was decreased to 5% reserve, and today banks require literally ZERO reserve for inventing new dollars on the spot. The USD is a measurement of debt that can be increased on the fly by only a certain group of people.

More importantly, every time an additional dollar is printed, your wealth which you worked for with your blood, sweat & tears by using time from your life, which is a non-recoverable asset, is literally being stolen from you.

Last edited:
Elon Musk buying that much bitcoin, is simply an end tun around the SEC for market manipulation. Unlike his, self started rumor about, "taking Tesla private", massively inflating Tesla stock prices, in this case he bought an actual, "commodity". (sort of), thus driving up the price

. Fact of the matter is, fe could dump it tomorrow, and make money doing so.

Well, the price of Bitcoin is out of my league. Looks like a billionaire's club now. I'll just have to stick with the lowly dollars, the world's new peso in the shadows of crypto. Tales from the Crypto.

Well, the price of Bitcoin is out of my league. Looks like a billionaire's club now. I'll just have to stick with the lowly dollars, the world's new peso in the shadows of crypto. Tales from the Crypto.
Assuming this post is an honest observation and not some veiled jab, you're not restricted to buying Bitcoin or any crypto as a whole unit the way you are stocks. Depending on the exchange, you could put as little as a dollar in.

I bought $25 worth of Dogecoin back in 2019 and was able to turn that into $800 worth of Ethereum during its recent pump (and the latter has increased in value significantly since that, to boot). As soon as NewEgg actually gets a 3K series RTX in stock I could tun that into a video card on my doorstep.

Elon Musk buying that much bitcoin, is simply an end tun around the SEC for market manipulation. Unlike his, self started rumor about, "taking Tesla private", massively inflating Tesla stock prices, in this case he bought an actual, "commodity". (sort of), thus driving up the price

. Fact of the matter is, fe could dump it tomorrow, and make money doing so.
Tesla is just the most visible example so far of institutions buying crypto. Microstrategy is one of the other major players recently. It would take another pandemic at the scale of COVID, at this point, to put a serious dent in Bitcoin.

Assuming this post is an honest observation and not some veiled jab, you're not restricted to buying Bitcoin or any crypto as a whole unit the way you are stocks. Depending on the exchange, you could put as little as a dollar in.

I bought $25 worth of Dogecoin back in 2019 and was able to turn that into $800 worth of Ethereum during its recent pump (and the latter has increased in value significantly since that, to boot). As soon as NewEgg actually gets a 3K series RTX in stock I could tun that into a video card on my doorstep.

Tesla is just the most visible example so far of institutions buying crypto. Microstrategy is one of the other major players recently. It would take another pandemic at the scale of COVID, at this point, to put a serious dent in Bitcoin.
Don't forget to mention BlackRock moving Bitcoin into its portfolio for the first time.

So you can buy a portion of a Bitcoin, and not a whole coin?

Nonetheless, very shortly after Musk, (him with his very high profile), purchased the Bitcoin, the price jumped to over $40,000. So, the plain fact of the matter is, he could have made millions (?**) selling it just days after he made the buy.

I'm not willing to commit that this was a causal loop, but I'm certainly not about to say it wasn't either. If this was a stock transaction, eyebrows likely would have been raised at the SEC.

(**) Just a guess, I didn't bother doing the math

Back