The Best PC Games (You Should Be Playing)

Control is a great game but it runs like dog crap at anything over 1080p on my 9900K/2080 rig.

..and the trouble with running it at 1080p is that the graphics look like crap, especially with ray tracing enabled as the 'noise' that comes with ray tracing is terrible, everything on screen looks super grainy.

...and Techspot you really should warn people that running mods in GTA V is a sure way of being banned from GTA online. Keep a seperate copy of the game for running in single player with mods.

Look at the Xbox game pass titles there. Gears 5, Metro and Horizon 4. That is why it's a pretty good deal even for PC gamers. Presumably you'll be looking at all the Halo games being added fairly soon as well, the first time on PC for many of them. Can't wait to see these ultimate versions.

Horizon 4 is the greatest racing game of this console generation, and it's incredible on PC. I think it is my favourite racing game since Project Gotham 4, which for me says a lot. I have played just about every racer in those twelve years since.

At the moment I'm avoiding most of these titles and playing Fallout 4. It's nearly 4 years old but I never really went through it properly. Fallout 3 was probably my favourite game of the last generation, FO4 is proving to be a good distraction and a lot better than my dabble with FO76!

Control is a great game but it runs like dog crap at anything over 1080p on my 9900K/2080 rig.

..and the trouble with running it at 1080p is that the graphics look like crap, especially with ray tracing enabled as the 'noise' that comes with ray tracing is terrible, everything on screen looks super grainy.

...and Techspot you really should warn people that running mods in GTA V is a sure way of being banned from GTA online. Keep a seperate copy of the game for running in single player with mods.

If you are running RTX then disable SSAO, they overlap and the SSAO is really noisy. I get 70-80fps with 2080Ti at 3440x1440. Techspot won't do any RTX or DLSS investigation on this game since it would upset AMD fans.

Team Fight Tactics (Riots Autochess) is the best strategy game I've ever played with other humans. It will also run beautifully with on-board graphics. My 1080ti hasn't been used for anything in months because all I want to play is TFT!

I still feel like GTA V was wasted potential mainly because the single player was left to die.

when it first came out something felt off but I thought they would add onto it and they did...with dlc additions that arent friendly to those who consider themselves casual players.

R* makes such detailed worlds but never does anything with them, on the other hand ubisoft may have their known formula but look at AC:O, that game truly has so much to do and see, I'm starting to think R* may be getting passed by in the genre it once ruled.

I still feel like GTA V was wasted potential mainly because the single player was left to die.

when it first came out something felt off but I thought they would add onto it and they did...with dlc additions that arent friendly to those who consider themselves casual players.

R* makes such detailed worlds but never does anything with them, on the other hand ubisoft may have their known formula but look at AC:O, that game truly has so much to do and see, I'm starting to think R* may be getting passed by in the genre it once ruled.

For all it's fame, I still feel GTA V to be ...empty.... unless a mission dictates, you can't enter any building freely...nothing to do other than the predestined missions. You can't explore the innards of the city, except the very few buildings that R* let you to. Feels like the roads are lined by doors and windows painted on cardboard boxes.

Elder Scrolls, Fallout series and Witcher 3 feel much more immersive, on the other hand.

I hate to be a broken record but I'm still more excited to finish up Zombie Army Trilogy then anything made in 2019. Mordhau was a nice try but it's to stiff atm.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider makes Control look like a 10 year old pile of :poop:

This list actually looks pretty good. Maybe because most of them haven't came out yet, that Avengers game is probably going to set records if the box office is any indication.

Last edited:

For all it's fame, I still feel GTA V to be ...empty.... unless a mission dictates, you can't enter any building freely...nothing to do other than the predestined missions. You can't explore the innards of the city, except the very few buildings that R* let you to. Feels like the roads are lined by doors and windows painted on cardboard boxes.

Elder Scrolls, Fallout series and Witcher 3 feel much more immersive, on the other hand.
you summed it up perfectly, GTA V was empty, rockstar couldnt decide on a protagonist and just gave us 3 unlikeable goons instead, its one of those games that as long as you dont stop to really watch it it's fine but now with all these new games trying to outdo each other GTA V may soon be a relic of it's time.

Sigh...when did mobile-world teenage fad like fortnite, lol, pubg, became the "PC" games that we "should be playing"?? These are games for twitch watchers and youtubers.

Yes, this. For me PC games are still for games like my favourites: Transport Fever, IL2, DCS, Steel Beasts PRO, CIV 5, Graviteam Tactics, Order of Battle. I also love Hunt Showdown (now on console too), Insurgency Sandstorm, and Dirt Rally 2.0 on PC. So much more out there besides the Witcher 3, APEX Legends and Fortnite...

I would argue only Plague and Control are really worth any time and investment, also kinda pointless article to throw PC games in the title when all but one game are available on consoles.

If the article's title was "The Best PC exclusive Games (you should be playing)", you would have a point. But unless you can point to a game that is not available on PC, regardless of whether it's available on another platform or not, then there's no reason for you to complain.

I don't like driving games or games with endless killing so I'll pass. On the original Xbox I loved sands of time but they ruined the sequel (as far as I'm concerned) by making the killing slog more.

I don't like driving games or games with endless killing so I'll pass. On the original Xbox I loved sands of time but they ruined the sequel (as far as I'm concerned) by making the killing slog more.
Same here...I'm tired of killing killing killing...and more killing. there are so many good games outside the mainstream box. I do like driving though...and am playing Need for Speed Underground 2 for the first time. Awesome retro game with surprising good graphics.

Forget these AAA cash grab low content, high microtransaction paper thin recommendations.
They are for the normie casuals.

You SHOULD be playing Dwarf Fortress, or Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead, or Space Station 13..
Each one individually has more content and originatily than this entire list combined.

Sigh...when did mobile-world teenage fad like fortnite, lol, pubg, became the "PC" games that we "should be playing"?? These are games for twitch watchers and youtubers.

Yes, this. For me PC games are still for games like my favourites: Transport Fever, IL2, DCS, Steel Beasts PRO, CIV 5, Graviteam Tactics, Order of Battle. I also love Hunt Showdown (now on console too), Insurgency Sandstorm, and Dirt Rally 2.0 on PC. So much more out there besides the Witcher 3, APEX Legends and Fortnite...

And great mod games like Angels Fall First

Naw. This is what I'm still having a blast playing. Soldier of Fortune 1, Soldier of Fortune 2, Soldier of Fortune 3, KOTOR 1, KOTOR 2, Star Wars Jedi Knight, Star Wars Outcast. I'm still stuck in a time warp.

But the best game - Minecraft Java edition isn’t mentioned? I’ve been PC gaming for over 25 years, since I was a young lad and me and my friends keep coming back to minecraft. It’s been 8 years since we first downloaded it and still features as by far the most played game between us. Oh and don’t confuse this with the bedrock edition that supports play together. That is a cleverly disguised knock off that misses a lot of key features/bugs of the original Java edition.

As for this list, well I don’t care much for any of it outside of Metro Exodus which I thought was outstanding. The whole series is great actually.

Of course it’s preference. I do think we have it better now than we ever have. Even if I do miss the days of logging into CS 1.5 after getting home from school with all my mates.

Back