The FBI slams smartphone encryption because there's no backdoor

By Scorpus
Sep 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. FBI Director James Comey has, unsurprisingly, come out and slammed Apple, Google and other tech companies for offering encryption on devices such as smartphones. Comey said he was "very concerned" about strengthened encryption in mobile OSes, saying it could work...

Read more
  2. Mandark57

Mandark57 TS Rookie Posts: 19

Oh. Too Freaking Bad, guvna! Go bonk off and spy on someone else!
  3. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

You know what this leads to right?

There is always a way to get the data. Now the government will put out popular apps that need your wifi, location, contacts, etc. and the people will (mostly) blindly install them just like their games that also (for some reason) require your contacts list.

If that doesn't work (which it wouldn't once the list came out and became known which were government apps) then we just put up public surveillance everywhere (I.e., cameras on every corner).

Only only time will tell... but I'm very sure that they will get their data if they want it.
    Jad Chaar and Misagt like this.
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,370   +2,161

Glad to see the big boys standing up to the Feds, however brief that stand might ultimately turn out to be. Privacy trumps delusions of security.
    Jad Chaar and wiyosaya like this.
  5. I don't get it, the FBI are like kids. Think of all this tech we now have that kids take for granted, and you take away the internet and its like removing a limb.
    The FBI hate actually doing a job. Hell the police around here don't like doing their jobs. We actually have news articles in the UK, how to help police. Apart from apprehending the suspects yourself you are meant to do the rest of the leg work, as the police are too busy...
    Well Mr Fedup Bureau of Iwouldrathersitonmyass. Do some work. If you maybe took out some of your bribe taking government officials who sell weapons to the wrong countries for a quick buck, you wouldn't have much to worry about over the ponds.
    You hypocrites.<3
    wiyosaya likes this.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Smoke and mirrors. That is all this topic is. I have a hard time believing Apple (Any company for that matter) released a phone without a backdoor.
  7. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 599   +57

^ I think this was simply a distraction, making people think they were safe behind their phones.
    Phr3d and SalaSSin like this.
  8. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,154   +197

When will the FBI realise that the people we are trying to protect ourselves from are them, Not terrorists.
  9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I for one classify CIA/FBI as terrorist. Their definition of terrorist in anyone who fights back.
  10. This is after the supreme court had to rule they needed a warrant to search a cell phone, before, some law enforcement did that with out a warrant.
  11. They definitely just want people to think they're safe, I guarantee there are backdoors. If you have an important private discussion, leave your phone at home, put on your boots and go into the woods. Even then if you're actually a high profile individual, it won't be long before you're followed by mosquito sized drones. ;)
  12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

Well if they have reason to suspect someone, why don't they just bash down the suspects door and belt the password out of them? That's usually their style isn't it?
  13. emmzo

emmzo TS Booster Posts: 111   +14

Maybe he was paid by tech companies to say that so people feel safer now.
  14. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 932   +238

There has always been an unbreakable link in law enforcement - the bird that will not talk no matter what. This is another such bird.

What I do not understand is their take that "because it might help us in some cases, everyone needs to have it stance." As I see it, this stance is draconian.

I see this going to SCTOUS and with the right-leaning powers such as they are, it being ruled illegal.
  15. Smoke and mirrors
    google apple and such are all puppets of the government
    they just trying to make it look like its safe to trust those companies again and trust your phone with your data
  16. h4expo

h4expo TS Enthusiast Posts: 43

Putting others' interests before your own, now there is a novel concept. If this is really what they are doing they will start to learn what it means to truly serve.
  17. The government has abused its privileges and they use the hammer of "terrorists" to spread fear to all citizens to maintain control. If only the government was truly for the people by the people.
  18. The only backdoor the FBI need to know about is the hole in their a55es so that they can stick there heads up there!
  19. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner." - Ben Franklin

We as a majority will always choose privacy over the FBI having the means, even with a court order, to gain access to our private information. And it will always be that way because the majority of us will never be the victim of a terrible crime.

But how much peace of mind in the general population does it take to justify the pain that just one victim would experience in something like an amber alert or a terror attack? I guess it doesn't really matter... we can just hope it happens to someone else. This is one of the reasons why America leads the civilized world in per capita prison sentences. It's one of the things that makes us great, but let's not kid ourselves about the downside.
  20. Radient

Radient TS Rookie Posts: 43

Thats the point of encryption so only who has the key can ascess the safe these people dont care whats right or about you they just want more power.
  21. Whenever I read the title of this article, I start laughing crazily. :p
  22. iPhone 6, the choice of phone for ISIS. greeeeat
  23. snjomadurinn

snjomadurinn TS Rookie

Similar things were said about the first lock......
    SalaSSin likes this.
  24. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 571   +112

Does this mean that the FBI could not fight crime before the invention of the smartphone?
  25. Giltis

Giltis TS Rookie

Yep I totally agree with that statement