The GeForce GT 710 can run Horizon Zero Dawn pretty well -- at 72p

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Remember the GeForce GT 710, the Kepler-based graphics card released in January 2016? It arrived with a launch price of $42, giving you an idea of its gaming performance. It can, however, run Horizon Zero Dawn pretty well—providing you knock the resolution down to a calculator-like 128 x 72.

YouTube channel zWORMz Gaming created a video testing the GT 710 with Horizon Zero Dawn at different resolutions. The game recommends a GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB), though the minimum GPU requirement is a GTX 780 (3 GB).

With its 3GB of DDR3 and 192 CUDA cores, the GT 710 turns Horizon Zero Dawn into a slideshow at 1080p with maxed settings, moving between 2 - 3 frames per second, while dropping to the lowest settings adds just 2 - 3 extra fps.

Guerrilla Games’ title remains unplayable at 720p with an average of 8 fps, and 360p, which looks pretty grim, averages 12 fps.

Frame rates get closer to that 30-fps target at the hideous resolution of 256 x 144. But for comparatively smooth gameplay, 128 x 72 is the best option. The trade-off being that the game's so fugly, it makes classic Minecraft look like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla—even the text on the Wayfinding Stones is difficult to read.

The Verge notes that the 2001 Game Boy Advance had a screen resolution of 240 x 160, while modern color graphing calculators such as the TI-84 Plus CE boast displays around the 320 x 240 mark, so Horizon Zero Dawn would look (mildly) better running on one of those devices.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how much a difference a tech like DLSS would make to super low resolutions. It would be a good way to see how much it can improve an image.

It's 2021 now.

You should have nothing less than a 2080 Super.

Are you kidding me? Not everyone is Mr Moneybags, able to upgrade anytime a new card comes out. People buy what they can afford. I bought a 2070 Super July 2019 as the release coincided with my annual bonus, it's gonna last me for 3 years at the very least, hoping for 5 years. Before that I had a 970 purchased Dec 2014,

Are you kidding me? Not everyone is Mr Moneybags, able to upgrade anytime a new card comes out. People buy what they can afford. I bought a 2070 Super July 2019 as the release coincided with my annual bonus, it's gonna last me for 3 years at the very least, hoping for 5 years. Before that I had a 970 purchased Dec 2014,
Hr trolls constantly insinuating he has money galore. True or not, he has zero class. I blocked him long ago.

It would be fun to see how much a version of dlss or something similar would improve the image and frame rates on hardware that low spec. In hoping for a version of dlss on the next switch as I suspect ps5 and series s/x will eventually have a similar feature which would be great for adjusting settings for one's preferred resolution and minimum fps. Hell, just a stable 60fps at 4k even with vrr would be a welcome improvement and I expect this generation will age fairly well compared to predecessors, especially if/when they crefresh to a smaller node with better temps and/or introduced the pro variants in a about 4 years.

Get used to it.
Future of PC gaming is CPU-integrated graphics, and game devs better start optimizing their engines for low end hardware. All those sh*it-coins that were supposed to move to dedicated ASIC machines somehow come back to claim PC hardware every new generation.
And now "scalpers". They should win Times Person of the Year title for 2021.
I bet main players, like manufacturers, have something to do with all of those shortages
I'm just waiting when miners learn to code on consoles. Then, Game Over for fancy graphics, look at Steam survey, most people in This World can afford a PC with some $150-250 cards if not iPGUs. Most youth lives in developing countries, and even at developed ones, people start to choose cheaper consoles or game on smartphones, over ever more expensive PCs.
The future are games with optimized graphics rather than expensive to make graphical wonders that kill fps.
Game devs who tend to not-graphically-intense-games market will be the ones who make money and name for themselves.
Look at Tencent and other Chinese devs. Started from mobile games, now buying Western publishers.

2080 Super is a low rent GPU for peasants. Nothing less than Galax GeForce RTX 3090 HOF Limited Edition, I would say.
Surely you meant TWO 3090 HOF limited editions, right? A single HOF 3090 limited edition is just so.....pedestrian in 2021.
(I must get in on this)
AHEM! (Adopts a fake "Thurston Howell" accent):
Well, you do realise that for upper-crust types such as us, it's all academic anyway. In less than five years, we'll all be using quantum computers while the peasants will still be using these dreadfully "last-millennium" digital computers. It will be like when our parents laughed at the peasants with their wooden abaci while our class had those fancy, new and expensive Nixie-Tube Calculators!

Those expensive new Quantum Computers make us so much better as people, don't you think? Or is it just Quantum Physics? I can never tell. :D

Last edited:
Same. He needs to be permanently banned. He ruins the whole atmosphere of this site unless you block him, but when people quote him you still see his nonsense.
But if you ban him you cant dunk on him. Just treat him as the punching bag he is.

He also exists on techpowerup if anyone is interested. He does the exact same shenanigans there, and gets dunked on harder then here.

What's his techpowerup username?
"QUANTUMPHYSICS"

You'll sometimes find him on news articles about techs hortages or new releases talking about the consoles he bought for his nieces and nephews, or his multiple geforce GPUs, iphones, ece. The posts read identically to here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/278069/...ow-manufacturing-cost-ships-4-5-million-units

It's funny how he sticks out like a sore thumb. It's like reading a bot programmed by Mr. Burns.

The thing is, other times he talks like a normal person, and occasionally makes good points. It's hard to tell if hes trolling or if he genuinely has more money then sense and brags about it openly online.

Back