TechSpot

The iPhone 6 was supposed to have a sapphire screen; here are several reasons why it doesn't

By Shawn Knight
Nov 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Both Apple and its sapphire supplier, GT Advanced Technologies, knew well in advance of the September 9 reveal of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus that neither handset would include the coveted glass but that's not the way it...

Read more

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +529

Wow, what a fail.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,058

There wasn't enough foreplanning by either company, both were blinded and sidetracked by dollar signs and both are equally to blame...
    What blasphemy is this saying Apple is at fault? It's all GT's fault.

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

So that's why their stock is like $.50 a share.

Weird that Apple would put such an important part of the iPhone 6 in the hands of a company that clearly wasn't ready if they didn't even have the employees or the plant. I suppose that's why Apple forced them into such a harsh contract.

On the other hand, maybe this is the sort of crazy high level of achievement and risk that's required for cutting edge tech in this industry. Maybe the risk and crazy contract is the norm.

5. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 647   +227

Wow, I wonder how many blind religious Apple followers purchased the iPhone 6 without even knowing about this? Oh well, now Apple has at least 1 reason to continue milking the masses for the release of iPhone 7. "Get the iPhone 7...now with it's beautiful Sapphire screens. A steal at $1,000.00 a piece!!!"

Apple has it made. No Sapphire screens and they can still get groupies to pay almost a $1,000.00 for a cellphone. :) Life is good, well....*cough, cough*...for Apple anyway.

Edit: I wonder if anybody bought this phone just assuming it would come with the Sapphire screens but doesn't yet realize they didn't get it. Since the phone has already been released and this story is just now surfacing, it could be possible. Can someone say class action lawsuit? :) Okay, it's a stretch but anything in this world is possible.

6. Coming from someone who works in crystal growth. I would've liked to believe that a company as big as Apple would have done some more research into this before signing such a massive contract. Sapphire is one of the hardest crystals to grow (correctly, and flawlessly). To go and hire 700 people and expect it to magically appear and be okay is just ignorant.

S_Brideau and Arris like this.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

No, I don't think anyone purchased it under the assumption it was going to have a sapphire screen. It was heavily speculated that that was going to happen, but it was never announced by Apple, and when Apple announced the 6 they said it was ion-infused glass, which is saying Gorilla Glass without saying Gorilla Glass. If they were shipping with sapphire screens it would have been announced at every opportunity.

Also this story isn't just surfacing, its been in the news since the 6 announcement that sapphire glass wasn't going to be used, and then much more in the news after GTAT's chapter 11 filing.
    I bought it after their Chap 11 filing at $1.24 a share, luckily I didn't dump much money into it. Hopefully their 11 doesn't go to a 7. My little investment can afford to be a complete loss, but I'm playing the long game. Hopefully in the next few years GTAT can produce a good product (not sapphire) for someone and get the price back up into the several dollar range.

8. It won't

9. I think this needs to be asked......

Would this kind of problem happen if Steve Jobs was still alive? I think not.

10. Gees, even Newton realised that an apple must fall from the tree eventually. But he was 10000x smarter than the average iPhone user...

11. This question needs to be asked: How can the worlds richest company's success depend upon the continued existence of one man?

Conclusion: No one lese at Apple has any idea what they are doing. Obviously 99% of employees are sheep, hypnotised just like the device buyers.