The PlayStation 4 is officially here, some systems experiencing HDMI issues

Russ Boswell

The wait is finally over, Sony fans, the Playstation 4 is officially out. Many cities across the United States saw individuals flood midnight releases at a variety of retail locations to get their hands on the newest console. Pair that with all of the gamers picking up their secured pre-orders and you can imagine just how many people were burning the midnight oil in order to enter the next generation of gaming. 

It has been quite the wait for those who lived in the current generation of Sony gaming for approximately seven years with the PS3. This is the longest that Sony fans have had to wait for a next-gen system, with prior releases coming only six years apart -- 1994, 2000 and 2006. The next few months will be important in judging whether or not the wait was worth it, and hopefully there won't be a slew of bugs plaguing the console. 

Sony is already well aware of one issue, however, which was spotted in a group of early release Playstation 4s. According to IGN, some players who received early access to the console are complaining of broken displays and unresponsive HDMI outputs. The systems are reported to turn on, accompanied by a pulsing, glowing blue light, but no display is available. Sony is sending out replacement units to these individuals, but it could take some time, which promptly negated the "play the PS4 before anyone else" prize that some of these gamers were promised with their pre-orders. This shouldn't be a widespread issue though, and a Sony representative told IGN that the affected systems will equal only 0.4 percent of all the consoles shipped.

It's going to be interesting to see how the gaming community adopts the PS4 in the next couple months, and with the impending release of its rival, the Xbox One, things are going to get very heated, very quickly. If any of you TechSpot readers out there got your hands on a PS4, we'd love to hear about your early experiences!

Permalink to story.

Looks like a small problem. But small problems do add up. My ps4 has no hdmi issues. The only issue I have is blurry text. I tried 3 hdmi cables and 4 monitors and still have the problem. It gets on my nerves..I will call support today about it. Other than that I just need games...ones I wanted got delayed.

My PS4 order will arrive on Monday. Am also getting a Monster HDMI cable to attach it, just
in-case.

It's probably your TV and not the HDMI cable, if you have tried multiple cables already. I would check video settings for your TV.

Hopefully xbox 1 will have some sort of issues, just to put them on level ground. Im interested to see who will win this generation.

My PS4 order will arrive on Monday. Am also getting a Monster HDMI cable to attach it, just
in-case.

Those Monster cables are the most over-rated, over-priced cables out there. There are numerous reviews you can Google to demonstrate just what a rip-off they are. Save your money and buy cables from some place like monoprice.com.

in-case.

Those Monster cables are the most over-rated, over-priced cables out there. There are numerous reviews you can Google to demonstrate just what a rip-off they are. Save your money and buy cables from some place like monoprice.com.

Agreed. Can't believe one could frequent a site like this and not have heard of monoprice. Sad state of affairs, I say.

in-case.

Pretty much, only time I buy monster cable is when I get them for next to nothing.

This "small problem" probably affects nearly 20% of shipped systems if what we've seen thus far is any indication.

A friend of mine got his Ps4 last night and ran into this issue on his 2007 Samsung TV he gets no display on HDMI.

He brought in the PS4 today to work plugged it into a monitor and it was fine. He saw a software update for it applied it and will take it home and try again on his tv.

That issue aside I played the New killzone on it today and I was impressed its the first console that actually provides visuals similar to a standard gaming pc.

Still not comparable to a Highend pc but finally there for the consoles.

Hopefully xbox 1 will have some sort of issues, just to put them on level ground. Im interested to see who will win this generation.

The whole point of competition is to benefit the consumers by increasing the bar, not by lowering it. Wishing XB1 to have issues does not compute regardless to which camp you belong.

I know what the point of competition is. I just hope the competition is maintained instead of blown out beacuse of a few technical glitches. Because then whats to stop microsoft from turning around and screwing its customers over (like it almost tried doing with the 1 to begin with)

I know what the point of competition is. I just hope the competition is maintained instead of blown out beacuse of a few technical glitches. Because then whats to stop microsoft from turning around and screwing its customers over (like it almost tried doing with the 1 to begin with)

The only people they were screwing over in my opinion were the pirates that wouldn't have been able to torrent their games anymore, and the 0.01 present of people who don't have broadband yet.

I'm sick off gamers thinking they are entitled to get everything their own way. Now we miss out on options that were beneficial for the majority off people.

The only people they were screwing over in my opinion were the pirates that wouldn't have been able to torrent their games anymore, and the 0.01 present of people who don't have broadband yet.

[FONT=Arial]I'm sick off gamers thinking they are entitled to get everything their own way. Now we miss out on options that were beneficial for the majority off people.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
Yes, because not being able to trade games is totally great for the majority of people -_-. Not to mention, if you want to sell stuff... its gererally not a good idea to piss your customers off with what they pulled.

I'm sick off gamers thinking they are entitled to get everything their own way. Now we miss out on options that were beneficial for the majority off people.
If you think only 0.01 percent of people/gamers dont have internet, you should probably just remove yourself from this thread.

They were also screwing over used game sales BTW.

in-case.

Lucky you - enjoy! I'm in the UK so I have to wait until the 29th until mine arrives.

Don't forget the have a quick check for a bent bit of metal inside the HDMI connector and bend it back down to where it should be before plugging in that expensive cable! - (the bit of metal breaks the cable) . Not sure if this was a couple of isolated reports or is really widespread, but if it is then its easily remedied. (See kotaku for all the details).

Uh what? A product is supposed to be tailored for the buyer/user
It's like Burger King, have it your way
Or I say it's the highway and stick to PC gaming...

I wonder how many ppl are going to end up having to buy new TVs, because their 2006-2007 set doesn't support the scan rate or has some overscan issue that can't be resolved.

I wonder how many ppl are going to end up having to buy new TVs, because their 2006-2007 set doesn't support the scan rate or has some overscan issue that can't be resolved.

Actually from what I saw sony released a firmware update on launch day that fixes that issue.

you will just have to take your console to a friends house with a newer tv or plug it into a monitor with HDMI do the update then it will work.

Back