The Ryzen 5600X3D is real, but only while supplies last

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: AMD's 3D V-Cache has proven to be an impressive and cost-effective solution to boost CPU performance for gaming. Users long speculated that AMD could bring the feature to its mainstream Zen 3 processor, but the company is doing so with a big catch.

Micro Center has announced an exclusive partnership with AMD to sell a limited-edition version of the Ryzen 5 5600X that adds 3D V-Cache technology starting July 7. The $229 offer will probably be the best-value mid-range processor for AM4 socket owners who can reach a Micro Center in time.

The 5600X3D won't receive new shipments after the initial stock sells out, and the store page indicates the company will only sell it at physical stores. Micro Center only has a couple of dozen locations in the US – a new one opens in Charlotte, North Carolina early next year.

A $339 bundle packages the chip with an Asus B550-Plus TUF motherboard and 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 RAM. The CPU will also come in the PowerSpec G516 prebuilt system, which includes a Radeon RX 6650 XT, 16 GB of RAM, and a 500 GB NVMe SSD.

When AMD debuted 3D V-Cache with the Ryzen 7 5800X3D last year, review outlets, including TechSpot, quickly declared it one of the best processors for your money, particularly for playing modern games. Its enormous 96 MB L3 cache has a visible effect on performance easily worth its modest price, and the 5600X3D will have the same amount.

Team Red has since brought the feature to its latest 7000 series, but those CPUs require an AM5 socket motherboard. The 5600X3D provides a cheaper six-core alternative to the 5800X3D for those still looking to upgrade from an older Ryzen 3000 or 4000 system without buying a new motherboard (and thus likely building a new system).

However, the limited-run deal probably indicates that AMD wants to close the book on AM4 once and for all. Sales of Ryzen 7000 CPUs started slowly, partially due to their requirement for still-expensive DDR5 RAM, so an indefinitely available 5600X3D could keep some customers on AM4 a bit longer than the company would like.

A leaker with a good track record tweeted details on the new model in mid-June, but the post contained no information about the retailer exclusivity or limited inventory. However, the projected specs were spot-on – a minor downclock compared to the original 5600X. The base and boost clocks decrease from 3.7GHz and 4.6GHz to 3.3GHz and 4.4GHz, respectively.

Permalink to story.

"While supplies last"

The 5600x3d is a defective version of the 5800x3d where applying the vcache damages the CCD

Since this release is just for US and only Micro Center not of us many will see it. Also no online sales as far as I understand. This is going to be a very rare CPU worldwide.

The 5600x3d is a defective version of the 5800x3d where applying the vcache damages the CCD

Ain't all lower SKU's having the same life cycle? An defective 7900XTX will be 7900XT and a 13900 will be a 13700.

Since this release is just for US and only Micro Center not of us many will see it. Also no online sales as far as I understand. This is going to be a very rare CPU worldwide.

Ain't all lower SKU's having the same life cycle? An defective 7900XTX will be 7900XT and a 13900 will be a 13700.
They will be on Ebay the day of release for a $50-100 premium.

They're dropping Friday, July 7th....

AMD, you jerks, I work that day! Couldn't you have opted to let them sell on the 5th? I'd have been more than happy to pick one up to play with it, plus some more RAM for my system....

Jerks....

While normally true, the XT physically has less chiplets than the XTX. They're probably using chiplets with less functional units for things like the 7600

While normally true, the XT physically has less chiplets than the XTX. They're probably using chiplets with less functional units for things like the 7600
Navi 31 and Navi 33 do not share the same design

Navi 33
gpu_small.jpg

Navi 31
gpu_small.jpg

Navi 31 with full die is the XTX and Navi 31 with some parts not working is the XT.

Navi 31 and Navi 33 do not share the same design

Navi 33
gpu_small.jpg

Navi 31
gpu_small.jpg

Navi 31 with full die is the XTX and Navi 31 with some parts not working is the XT.
they can test the chiplets before installing them on the cards. What you're showing in those pictures are dummies for equalizing the pressure on the head spreader since they aren't soldered on.

Problem is a motherboard that supports it. If you already have Ryzen great, but I bet you already got the 5800X3D in that case, or are fine with a 5600X for even cheaper. If you don't have a motherboard you need flashback, and those are expensive motherboards, you might as well just pay a bit more and get on AM5 or Raptor Lake, actually you can find cheaper Z690 boards that will support 12-14th gen Intels (although the same bios issue can arise).

Problem is there is no way to know if your BIOS is flashed and supported, and I don't think these CPUs even boot at all if they're not supported. So you need flashback or you have to just hope it was updated.

Problem is a motherboard that supports it. If you already have Ryzen great, but I bet you already got the 5800X3D in that case, or are fine with a 5600X for even cheaper. If you don't have a motherboard you need flashback, and those are expensive motherboards, you might as well just pay a bit more and get on AM5 or Raptor Lake, actually you can find cheaper Z690 boards that will support 12-14th gen Intels (although the same bios issue can arise).

Problem is there is no way to know if your BIOS is flashed and supported, and I don't think these CPUs even boot at all if they're not supported. So you need flashback or you have to just hope it was updated.

That's what I was typing about too. Actually other media outlets do cover this and related topics. See Tom's Hardware eg.

I guess compatibility shouldn't be an issue otherwise it would be a big disaster for AMD image as a brand. Instead of the cherry on top of the cake.

I saw "team Red" as "Texas Red"..had to double-take. Guess what I've been playing too much of ☢️

Seriously why aren't they making a 7600X3D? I don't care the 5600X3D isn't coming to Australia, I have no interest in 6 core cpu, but gamers would love a 7600X3D for sure.

Seriously why aren't they making a 7600X3D? I don't care the 5600X3D isn't coming to Australia, I have no interest in 6 core cpu, but gamers would love a 7600X3D for sure.
Because they didn't have surplus 7800X dies. AMD had surplus 5800X dies. Thus....

5800x3d launched ~14 months ago and had enough time to gather defective parts. Not sure if AMD will bother to recycle 7800x3d parts since Zen 5 coming. Time will tell.

Yep, I got a 12700k and Z board combo for $350 on black Friday at Micro Center. Its blazing fast, and was very affordable. I think a similar deal still happens every other week

Last edited:
I purchased a 5800X3D about nine months ago. I have no clue what all the hype is about as I saw very little performance increase from the 2700x I had in the system previously. I still firmly believe CPU upgrades for gaming do very little, it's always more to do with the GPU.

Because they didn't have surplus 7800X dies. AMD had surplus 5800X dies. Thus....

Huh. Yes they are just using leftover dies for the 5600X3D, but they could just as easily make a 7600X3D rather than make 7600X, which is a p!ss poor value cpu IMO. Additionally some 7600X's are made from dual ccd dies from the 79xx series that didn't make the grade. So they have two sources of dies. But I suggest they just get of the 7600X and make a 7600X3D.

I purchased a 5800X3D about nine months ago. I have no clue what all the hype is about as I saw very little performance increase from the 2700x I had in the system previously. I still firmly believe CPU upgrades for gaming do very little, it's always more to do with the GPU.
If you are CPU limited in very few games it can show a notable difference. Most if the time it's a waste of money. Only the absolute top-end systems require it.

If your GPU is the limiting factor for the types of games you play, then yes, you'll get this experience you're getting right now.

If a GPU is powerful enough, and the CPU is limiting either at max fps or 1% lows, a CPU upgrade will definitely show some improved results.

What motherboard and what GPU are you using?

You can get the 5800X3D in store, right now, for $279, why would you give up two cores for $50? Should have been $199

Back