The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5 could have no visible screen crease thanks to a new design

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: The Galaxy Z Fold 4 is an amazing, if very expensive, phone, but one of the design elements that can put consumers off is the screen crease that's visible when the handset is fully open. However, the Galaxy Z Fold 5, which arrives later this year, could address this issue thanks to a droplet-style hinge.

As reported Korean publication Naver (via SamMobile), Samsung could use a droplet-style hinge that would allow the Galaxy Z Fold 5's display to form a teardrop shape when closed. Not only would this enable the display to be folded completely flat, as opposed to having a slight gap like the Z Fold 4, but it would also mean a near-invisible crease when the display is fully opened. The new design is also said to increase the screen's durability and the number of folds/unfolds it can endure; the Z Fold 4 can withstand over 200,000 folds before failing.

We love the Galaxy Z Fold 4, awarding it a score of 85 in our review. Samsung reduced the visibility of the screen crease in its latest version of the Fold series, but the shallow indentation is still noticeable when running a finger across the screen, and the line is more prominent against a dark background and when viewed from an angle. For some, this writer included, the crease doesn't outweigh the Fold 4's many positives, but it's a deal-breaker for others. A droplet-style hinge similar to those used in other foldable/flip phones could virtually erase the center line.

Samsung patented the droplet design, which it refers to as dumbbell, in 2016, though it's only now being introduced to its phones, possibly because the company was waiting for it to work alongside the IPX8 water-resistance rating, which arrived in Samsung foldables in 2021.

The original Fold, you might recall, had a disastrous time in 2019. Several pre-launch review models broke, resulting in Samsung delaying the official launch from April to September. Each iteration has improved upon that original design, and the fifth version could fix one of its biggest remaining problems. Let's hope the next thing Samsung addresses is the price.

Permalink to story.

As a fold 3 owner...... I bought it on a whim, as I am not brand/OS/UI loyal AT ALL. If something interests me I'll try it.... I've had Windows Phones, iPhones, Androids...... they each had their strong suit at the time of purchase...... The screen size is what sold me on the fold 3. I love having something smaller (width wise when folded) that fits on my pocket, takes up less space, but when unfolded is massive. Gaming and watching vids are game changers on this, also just being able to have bigger txt without the UI feeling like its constraining when the txt is bigger, helps my old eyes out. I was able to overlook the crease without too much concern. My only concern was its durability. I've gone out of my way to be care ful with it to one extent. But I also run with the devil, I don't put cases on my phones. A year in. still ticking, screen (with crease) has held up fine!. It has survived a few drops onto carpet and parking lot.....my heart skipped a beat thinking for sure she was done, on that parking lot drop, but NO, just a small scuff on the edge.......
That being said: If it actually had NO crease, it would be a deal changer, and enough to get me to want to upgrade when it becomes available regardless of if this 3 is paid off already or not by then........
Small footnote, as if this post isn't long winded enough: The thing I love about iPhones that no android except LG's ever had: proper microphone gain when recording LOUD sounds (concerts and the like). Every Samsung I've ever owned including this fold 3, has clipped a little bit on concert footage. The iphones (from 6 onward, do this VERY well). IF the no crease version of folds becomes available in iPhone format, I will ditch the Sammy until some time in the future where they have a new cool feature that catches my compulsive nature to give it a spin.

Still way too thick and heavy. Huawei's alternative is much cheaper, thinner and lighter, but it's Chinese spy device so not viable. I wonder what Google will offer, but their QC is the worst and that device will end in tears for many owners.

The crease is not even noticeable once you slightly change the viewing angle. It's a beast of a phone/tablet and well worth it if you have the means.

I am continually impressed with this piece of tech. It is simply a game-changer. Period.

Used a Fold 3 once, and the screen got a thin line overnight on its own, when I went to the service center, they said its physical damage. Never going to use a Samsung Fold series again unless they get the price down and improve the quality.

Used a Fold 3 once, and the screen got a thin line overnight on its own, when I went to the service center, they said its physical damage. Never going to use a Samsung Fold series again unless they get the price down and improve the quality.
So how long did it take for this issue to appear?

I switched to a Fold 4 last year to give it a try, and I have to say the crease is really a none issue. I feel the only use case where the crease may be an issue is when you are trying to do some serious drawing on the phone using a pen. Even when watching shows on it, the crease rarely gets in the way, unless of course, you are always looking for it, which I believe some people who cannot get over it will keep finding ways to find the crease consciously or sub-consciously.

I switched to a Fold 4 last year to give it a try, and I have to say the crease is really a none issue. I feel the only use case where the crease may be an issue is when you are trying to do some serious drawing on the phone using a pen. Even when watching shows on it, the crease rarely gets in the way, unless of course, you are always looking for it, which I believe some people who cannot get over it will keep finding ways to find the crease consciously or sub-consciously.

Even my first gen Fold is fine in that regard, and the crease is even more noticeable on it as it's seen a lot of wear. If you're using it for anything other than a pen you really aren't going to notice it.

That said, yes less noticeable crease would be nice.

As a fold 3 owner...... I bought it on a whim, as I am not brand/OS/UI loyal AT ALL. If something interests me I'll try it.... I've had Windows Phones, iPhones, Androids...... they each had their strong suit at the time of purchase...... The screen size is what sold me on the fold 3. I love having something smaller (width wise when folded) that fits on my pocket, takes up less space, but when unfolded is massive. Gaming and watching vids are game changers on this, also just being able to have bigger txt without the UI feeling like its constraining when the txt is bigger, helps my old eyes out. I was able to overlook the crease without too much concern. My only concern was its durability. I've gone out of my way to be care ful with it to one extent. But I also run with the devil, I don't put cases on my phones. A year in. still ticking, screen (with crease) has held up fine!. It has survived a few drops onto carpet and parking lot.....my heart skipped a beat thinking for sure she was done, on that parking lot drop, but NO, just a small scuff on the edge.......
That being said: If it actually had NO crease, it would be a deal changer, and enough to get me to want to upgrade when it becomes available regardless of if this 3 is paid off already or not by then........
Small footnote, as if this post isn't long winded enough: The thing I love about iPhones that no android except LG's ever had: proper microphone gain when recording LOUD sounds (concerts and the like). Every Samsung I've ever owned including this fold 3, has clipped a little bit on concert footage. The iphones (from 6 onward, do this VERY well). IF the no crease version of folds becomes available in iPhone format, I will ditch the Sammy until some time in the future where they have a new cool feature that catches my compulsive nature to give it a spin.
Your just a typical Tech Junkie.... we are a suckers in this way

Too expensive, too thick, too creasy.

Seriously, the crease is an embarrassingly expensive eyesore. A friend has one and the first thing you notice is the ugly crease.

I really want to buy a Fold but there are too many reasons why not:

- the actual "fold" presentation needs 1 exterior screen, 1 selfie camera; then 1 selfie interior camera, 1 giant foldable screen; on the other side the camera-suite. This mega suite of screens, cameras needs huge batteries. So they will always be mega thick.

- as it is a still rather new tech, both screens, manufacturing process, etc. is still expensive and still not as perfect as the decade(s)-old processes.

Due to those points, I still prefer to have an S22/23 Ultra with pencil but still manageable size/weight and a tablet (my case Tab S6 Lite 2020 with pencil) for the other stuff, than a very expensive, thick and just OK battery device.

Still way too thick and heavy. Huawei's alternative is much cheaper, thinner and lighter, but it's Chinese spy device so not viable. I wonder what Google will offer, but their QC is the worst and that device will end in tears for many owners.

If China wants to spy on you, they don’t need you to have a Huawei to do it buddy. And if they were actually spying it would’ve been proven by now

Back