the shortcut that wouldn't leave my desktop alone; help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i used the uninstall feature to get rid of a program that wasn't working properly (it just wasn't worth it to reinstall, etc) and now i cannot get it off of my desktop (it refuses to go in the recycle bin (where it certainly belongs) because there isn't any information to delete); i'm using windows vista. can anyone help?

apologies in advance if my question is a stupid one--all of my tech friends are far off in foreign lands with different time zones. thanks!

cheers,
christine

Now, this might not be the most helpful post, and I could be wrong...

I read somewhere that there's a really annoying bug that prevents you from installing software that wasn't made for Vista. It could be that.

I'll look around on the Internet for you and see what I can come up with.

So far, what I'm hearing corroborates what I've already heard: Vista has many problems with software that wasn't specifically designed with it in mind.
One of the recommendations that seems to stick out is that it's better to run all your old XP programs off a removable media drive (USB) to prevent this kind of thing.

Doesn't sound very convenient, though. :\
I don't know if there's a fix for this issue. All I know is, when I was playing with the pre-RTM Vista, I had a TON of issues with file control, installation and file-manipulation. It cried foul or blocked any actions involving files when they weren't in my C:\Documents and Settings\*MyName*\ area.

I had this problem and all i had to do was turn off uac (user account control) to do this go to start-control panel-user accounts. then click on turn user account control off and confirm. then restart and try and delete the shortcut again. if this doesnt work then try re-installing the software and try uninstalling again selecting the remove shortcuts option if it gives it to you. this worked for me but i am running vista ultimate, so there is a chance it won't work if you are usin vist home basic/ premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back