The Walking Dead discussion thread

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff
I noticed that quite a few people who responded to our recent Weekend Open Forum about TV shows mentioned The Walking Dead. I'm not big on TV, but I've watched some of this series and I can see the appeal. We have official discussion threads for a few popular games, so I figure it might be worth opening a thread to let people chat about this show. Feel free to criticize or discuss any aspect of The Walking Dead. I'll kick things off by asking: why the hell haven't they ditched that rickety RV yet?

Entertaining show, though I have doubts about it's ability to stay fresh...as it were. The logic I think definitely required a suspension of disbelief- the show has more plot holes than a M.Night Shyamalan double feature.

With the current love-in regarding the undead and bloodsuckers in film and tv I think we're about a season away from "Zombie CSI" or maybe "Desperate Vampires"

I read through that list of "plot holes" and I have to say, most of them seem baseless. Do you feel strongly about any argument in particular?

Not those in particular. Most of them are down to not getting bogged down in minutae.
A couple of others have had a WTF feel about them. I'm a bit vague on the precise details since I dont watch TV (except for news and sport), and I watched most of the episodes over the course of a week a while back (which also shows breaks in continuity pretty well). But as an example, there's a scene where Rick hacks up a zom corpse with an axe so the group can mask themselves with eau de'cay -he has eye protection to stop the airborne globs of zombie coming into contact with him....while the rest of group are just standing around watching -no glasses, nada. If you're going to hack and slash the zombie, the rest of the people could be in another room. Of course once Rick's dismembered the zombie they all get ready to slip, slop, slap with bits of undead and he then warns them not to get it in their eyes or on their skin.
I think there's a scene at or near the end of season one where da famous camper/winnebago/RV breaks down in the group wagon train...said camper is supposedly toast and from overheating, and then a scene of two later the people drive it away -huh? and I'm pretty sure there was no explanation as to how it became mobile again- though I guess you're supposed to fill in the blanks such as someone trekking to a service station for hose/tape/tools/gas/siphon/pine tree air freshener etc. Must be a premium on working auto's - at least there are vehicles (unlike 28 Days Later)

The zombies seem to have their uses though. When they aren't out creating mayhem they obviously put some work into keeping the lawns trimmed and watered.
Episode-6-Group-Escape-760.jpg

Great show IMO and I've also wondered about the RV. I can't figure out why they won't go grab one of those million dollar custom RVs so they could have a bit of comfort now and then. Also, why isn't there more sex? "We" are probably some of the last people left in this world and I know some of the promises I've made should that situation ever arise for me. Also, why are they low on weaponry? I'm sure there are plenty of gun shops they could raid... and for goodness sake please get that man some more arrows! He's the only truly useful one of the bunch.

Screw the RV. I'd hit the National Guard armoury and grab a M1 Abrams tank. Unlike the one in the backround in the pic (why is it in Desert Storm paint? U.S. depolyment would be NATO green/brown/black) I'd grab one fitted with a TUSK (tank urban survival kit). The engine runs on jet fuel (kerosene- which would be plentiful at any airport), diesel or gasoline. Get your pals to drive a fuel truck if you're not an economy jockey. Toss out the 120mm rounds (overkill for zombies) and fill the empty bunkering with vital supplies (Bookers bourbon/the contents of the local police station evidence lockup etc.) Good to go.

I've been following since the first season and I also asked my brother about the grass.

I saw a small article over at gizmodo called "walking dead" kit. It was the same exact kit of knives the kid found early on this season under the dead guys arm in the truck. $300usd for that thing.

I'm curious to know why they didn't seek out any broadcast stations, but I suppose that never happens in any of these joints huh.

the show has more plot holes than a M.Night Shyamalan double feature.

well now that is just plain silly. Any and all plot holes by Mr Shyamalan are simply back filled with his greatness, and or you are just not hep enough to understand the high concept...if you don't believe it...just ask him.:D

I'm curious to know why they didn't seek out any broadcast stations, but I suppose that never happens in any of these joints huh.
That's the thing that got me about the movie "The Mist". The survivors never once turn on the SUV's radio even when they get down to their final choice.

SPOILER: highlight to read:
Truck runs out of gas. Rather than get cocooned and turned into alien baby momma's the surviving group of lead actor and three supporting cast decide to commit suicide. Lead actor kills his young kid and the three others -only four bullets left in the gun. Survivor jumps out of the truck screaming for the aliens to take him.....the army promptly arrive and save the day (for everyone who didn't kill their kid obviously)

Just watched episode 9 and I think it was a good episode but like always it leaves you wanting for more. I really hope **** hits the fan with Shane going mental. Some more drama please. The barn scene was obvious for me because it has been posted on youtube videos and other forums. So no surprise there. I hope they keep up the quality and don't go “Prison Break” on it...

I am pretty peeved that they only have 6-7 episodes per year. air dates. They do a good job I hope they don't replace any writers and try n get "fresh" ideas.

As far as upgrading there arsenal and cars I figured were seeing them as they go along and they haven't come across anything yet. Also I don't think they want to go out there way for convenience. I know going to a gun shop would be a wise survival move but unless they know exactly where one is outside a city I bet they are reluctant to enter a place with potential hordes of zombies like in season 1.

If I was in that situation I would try to get crops and animal herds going somewhere and build a nice fence or if I could get my hands on a tractor a deep trench around my area. Heck several deep trenches\fences. If they start piling up in the trenches you can always burn em. Also id try n make some kinda hasmat suit with armor on the outside, even a layer of Tupperware plastic melted together would repel zombie bites.

28 days later had vehicles, they rode in that bug.

Spoiler
As far as plot holes, ok when rick and the fat guy were going to the school to get medical supplies so they could operate on the kid, the fat guy says go on ill hold them off. Rick was like no will get through this together! About 5 minutes later he shoots him in the leg to save himself and the guy tears out his hair because hes pissed. Rick must be a real prick, why didn't he just say ok and leave when the fat dude volunteered to stay a few minutes earlier? OK they were down to a few bullets but he could have said ill take u up on that offer now or something, geeze.

As far as upgrading there arsenal and cars I figured were seeing them as they go along and they haven't come across anything yet. Also I don't think they want to go out there way for convenience. I know going to a gun shop would be a wise survival move but unless they know exactly where one is outside a city I bet they are reluctant to enter a place with potential hordes of zombies like in season 1.
Phonebook + local map = Win
I'd be more inclined to wonder about the zombies that were obviously soldiers....where are their guns? More to the point, any defensive position (i.e. outside the CDC in Atlanta) would have guns and ammo in abundance- there aren't enough corpses to account for the army expending all it's ammo, unless they can't shoot straight.

Maybe nature has a levelling up system?
If I was in that situation I would try to get crops and animal herds going somewhere and build a nice fence or if I could get my hands on a tractor a deep trench around my area.
Zombie Farmville !

You'd think that domesticated cows, sheep, pigs and cattle might be easy pickings for the undead. Also you'd have to take into account the amount of pasture land needed to support the animals. Milk cows would have died pretty soon after no one was around to milk them, and a lot of farm animals would die of starvation once they weren't rotated through new pasture or had silage/feed put out for them

Heck several deep trenches\fences.
Too much like hard work. Probably easier to use the equipment at hand. Where there is farmland there is farm equipment. How much damage would a combine harvester do? Add a few lengths of chain to the cutting header (the rotating part) and you've got a pretty effective flail.
If they start piling up in the trenches you can always burn em.
Waste of good petroleum products. If you're going that route, then I'd find an ice-cream truck and cruise around playing pied piper for the zombies. Once you've got their attention slowly cruise to a suitable area -and torch them in bulk. Have fun with it- fill up a fire trucks tanks with gas instead of water !
Also id try n make some kinda hasmat suit with armor on the outside, even a layer of Tupperware plastic melted together would repel zombie bites.
Butcheries/meat packing = chainmail aprons, gauntlets
law enforcement offices = unban pacification gear (kevlar vests, face armour, riot shields)
Motorcycle shop = Full face helmets, leather pants/jackets/gloves/boots -double up on the layers and a zombie would need to have shark's teeth to bite you.
Just a case of lateral thinking
28 days later had vehicles, they rode in that bug
What's wrong with the Humvee's that seem to be parked up everywhere?

Finally! A Walking Dead Discussion thread! Been wanting to talk about this show with others, good thing I found this :))

Yeah this is great to see a thread like this! I'm so happy that there is finally a post-apocalyptic genre series on cable TV (although I don't watch TV, I download/buy seasons of shows), and it's so cool that it's about zombies. But, like many have said it, the plot is full of holes and they have way too many corny lines/moments as well as the 2nd season just seeming stuck until the last episode they showed so far.

Good points divided its to bad the season only had 6 episodes :(

@oleg your right they weren't mobile enough in season 2, mobility adds to the suspense

p.s. A wizard did it. :)

@oleg your right they weren't mobile enough in season 2, mobility adds to the suspense
And when they were mobile it didn't make a great deal of sense. The first journey centers around finding a "cure"....Well, I don't know how much effort I'd put into something that would save me from returning as a zombie after I'd been partially eaten...but wouldn't do a heck of a lot to stop the zombies eating me in the first place.

Secondly, if you were travelling, wouldn't you go to someplace where there was probably lots of food, electricity, fuel, medical supplies...preferably surrounded by an obstacle that zombies couldn't cross? So what's wrong about heading to a port and checking out a good sized ship -maybe even a cruise liner. Attract enough zombies to the wharf and the ones at the back would probably push the ones closest to the ship into the water. Hungry fish+crustaceans+time+tide >>>zombies

Back