...the weird noises just won't stop!!!

By freakuency
Nov 1, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ...heh! going for most interesting title of a post award!

anyway, ive been trying to solve a problem that ive had with my laptop now for the last few weeks.

its creating a clicking sound, rhythmically, approximately every 4 seconds, and it sounds VERY similar to a scratched harddrive, but... i thought it was the hard drive originally and bought a brand new samsung 40gb drive. installed it, and sure enough, the noises have started again. they seem to be originating from the left hand side, where you'd rest your palm.

i get performance spikes and the only indication is that system idle goes from 99% to approx 75% and (the rather helpfully named) system jumps to 24% for about 1/2 a second and then back to normal...

apart from being annoying with the clicking sound, it affects process's if im running a couple of applications at once!

here's a sexy pic to try to show whats going on...

[​IMG]

this, as i said from a fresh hard drive, is not a spyware / virus / malware issue... this is the first time this install has gone online!

oh, the computer is a hp omnibook xe3 (gc) p3 700mhz and 256mb sdram.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.